LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

California | Local News

Young law school grad skips the bars and tries to pass the bar instead.

Eighteen-year-old Kathleen Holtz has already been hired by a Century City firm. If she doesn't fail the exam, she'll be the youngest licensed lawyer in the nation.
By Bob Pool, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
October 19, 2007
Other fledgling lawyers may toast the news that they've passed the bar exam by popping open a chilled bottle of champagne.

When results of the most recent California bar exam are released next month, the 18-year-old law school grad will be too young to drink legally.

And, as the youngest practicing attorney in California -- if not the nation -- Holtz is loath to break the law.

At an age when most of her peers are just finishing high school and heading to college, the Whittier native is already punching the clock at a Century City law firm.

She has no doubts about acing July's grueling law exam -- the final hurdle to becoming a bona fide lawyer. "I felt the bar exam went very well," she said.

That kind of bravado can be expected from someone who started college at age 10 and entered law school at 15. Holtz graduated from the UCLA School of Law this year.

People are stunned to learn she is only 18. Most assume she is in her late 20s. She is content to let them think that.

"Most of my friends are older," said Holtz, of Westwood. "Even when I was younger, I was told I was very mature for my age."

Other students at Cal State L.A., where she enrolled in an early entrance program, figured she was older than she really was. They had no clue that she only spent three weeks in first grade before skipping to second grade, or that she'd planned since age 8 to start college as early as she could.

By age 10, Holtz had by-passed fifth grade and was ready to trade middle school for part-time studies at Cal State L.A. She enrolled full time at age 11.

Holtz said she doesn't regret skipping high school.

"I was bored in school. I don't feel like I missed out on anything by not going to high school. I wasn't going to be bored eight more years in order to go to a high school prom," she said.

She graduated from Cal State L.A. magna cum laude with a degree in philosophy. At UCLA's law school, she was a Law Review editor and Moot Court participant.

But she wasn't old enough to drive or sign the lease for her off-campus apartment. She had to skip the monthly law school beer bashes and the Thursday night "bar reviews" -- in which law students traveled to bars around Los Angeles to take a break from the rigors of case law and classwork.

Dean of Students Elizabeth Cheadle said Holtz e-mailed her before starting school. "She said, 'By the way, I'm only 15.' I was somewhat concerned. She didn't want other students to know. She wanted people to get to know her as a person."

Holtz managed to keep her secret -- for a while.

"People thought I was 21 or 22," she said. "But I was 15." After a month or so, word got out that the class of '07 had a youngster in its ranks.

When Holtz was found out, some students gave her the cold shoulder.

"A select few were supportive -- it didn't change how they reacted to me. Maybe 90% were hostile. They stopped talking to me and were suddenly very condescending," she said.

But school administrators and her professors stood behind her.

"She came in and talked to me. I was very surprised," said law school Dean Michael Schill. "Law school is a very challenging environment for anyone.

"It takes a lot of gumption to go to law school at such a young age."

Professor Eugene Volokh, who graduated from college at age 15 but worked as a computer programmer for six years before entering law school, said Holtz actively participated in class discussions and was "obviously intellectually prepared" to keep up with older students.

"If you didn't know her age, you wouldn't even think about her age," he said. "It's easier for girls to look older than their age than it is for boys."

Holly Williams, now an attorney with the Latham & Watkins law firm in Los Angeles, was a third-year law student when she met Holtz. They remain friends.

Williams said Holtz did not dwell on the cold shoulders she received from some. "She blended in perfectly," said Williams, now 28. Holtz organized hiking trips and dinner outings for other students who didn't go drinking on Thursday nights.

"She handled it with a lot of grace," Williams said.

In California, where individuals must be at least 18 to practice law, the average age for bar admittance is 30. Spokeswomen for the State Bar of California and the American Bar Assn. said they know of no lawyers younger than Holtz.

Holtz's parents, Bradley and Jane Holtz, say they have been supportive of their daughter's decisions to go to college and then on to law school. They helped her settle into graduate-student housing before moving her into a studio apartment near UCLA.

"She wasn't your typical 15-year-old," Jane Holtz said. "She seemed so ready and was so anxious to go to law school. My husband and I talked about it and decided it would be interesting to see how that first year went."

They were surprised that "when word spread around the law school that there was a 15-year-old there, some of the students were on a mission to find out who it was," she said.

"Some embraced her and were wonderful to her. There were also some others who had attitudes."

Kathleen Holtz's age was no secret when an attorney at the Century City firm of TroyGould recommended that she be hired. She started work last month. Until she passes the bar, she is being supervised by a licensed lawyer.

"Today we were meeting and talking about how to prepare a case for a jury and Kathleen had some interesting ideas about using visual aids to make the case more understandable," said Jeffrey W. Kramer, who is 56 and heads the litigation department at the firm where he has worked for 31 years.

"The interesting thing will be in four or five years where she's in a position where she'll be supervising less experienced lawyers who are older than she is."

Lawyer Chris Lilly, 35, said only one issue arose when Holtz was hired.

"We wondered about child labor laws," he said. "She was only 17 when we recruited her."

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
What's wrong with your Caps Lock?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Always Remembered RIP
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Only one question

So what everyone here on BWOT needs to know is: does she "put out"?

<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You're out of order

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No pictures?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 04:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
yes yes all very interesting but can she blow bubbles ?
Attached Images
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

pOsT # 2 nOtHiNg

# 3 Yes

# 4 Yes, my true metier be the 'Pirate Speakin' Thread' har har

# 5 There was a pic in the paper and ..you would.

# 6 Yes ..and more

Test for 11 Year Olds 1898.

1. On the outline map provided, mark the position of Carlisle, Canterbury, Plymouth, Hull, Gloucester, Swansea, Southampton, Worcester, Leeds, Leicester and Norwich; Morecambe Bay, The Wash, Solent, Menai Straits and Lyme Bay; St Bees Head, The Naze, Lizard Point; the rivers Trent and Severn; Whernside, the North Downs, and Plinlimmon; and state on a separate paper what the towns named above are noted for.

2. Where are silver, platinum, tin, wool, wheat, palm oil, furs and cacao got from?

3. Name the conditions upon which the climate of a country depends, and explain the reason of any one of them.

4. Name the British possessions in America with the chief town in each. Which is the most important?

5. Where are Omdurman, Wai-Hei-Wai, Crete, Santiago, and West Key, and what are they noted for?

1. Write in columns the nominative singular, genitive plural, gender, and meaning of:� operibus, principe, imperatori, genere, apro, nivem, vires, frondi, muri.

2. Give the comparative of noxius, acer, male, diu; the superlative of piger, humilis, fortiter, multum; the English and genitive sing. of solus, uter, quisque.

3. Write these phrases in a column and put opposite to each its Latin: he will go; he may wish; he had; he had been; he will be heard; and give in a column the English of fore, amatum, regendus, monetor.

4. Give in columns the perfect Indic. and active supine of ago, pono, dono, cedo, jungo, claudo.

Mention one example each of verbs followed by the nominative, the accusative, the genitive, the dative, the ablative.

5. Translate into Latin:�
1. The general�s little son was loved by the soldiers.
2. Let no bodies be buried within this city.
3. Ask Tullius who found the lions.
4. He said that the city had been taken, and, the war being finished, the forces would return.
6. Translate into English:�

Exceptus est imperatoris adventus incredibili honore atque amore: tum primum enim veniebat ab illo Aegypti bello. Nihil relinquebatur quod ad ornatum locorum omnium qua iturus erat excogitari posset.

Last edited by BNZ; 10-19-2007 at 05:12 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BNZ View Post

"She was only 17 when we recruited her."

A case where office romance could send you to jail.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: