My first response to the question that started this thread is a question in itself: Why is this important for you to know?
There has to be a reason for posting this question in a car forum, and quite frankly I'm interested in how this is affecting you personally so much so that you felt the need to post this in our forum. Enquiring minds want to know..respectfully of course... =)
As for whether this is a learned trait or genetic, I am really baffled that this question is still being asked. Homosexuality has existed since the beggining of our species, and other species I may add. Homosexuality has been observed in over 1,500 species. Here is a link to an MSNBC story on this and the First-ever museum display showing 51 species exhibiting homosexuality:
Gay animals out of the closet? - LiveScience - MSNBC.com
We live in a world so rich with bio-diversity, so rich with strange looking and acting animals, animals who live in environments we humans never could, and animals like the clown fish who can even change their sex. With all this diversity and change, why is it so hard for some people to believe that Homosexuality is a natural trait? Mostly, it is due to religion and ignorance. People use to be raised to believe slavery was just fine and dandy, and in some parts of the world this belief continues today, either blatantly observable or only subtley so.
I also find it amusing that 99% of the people who claim to know the answer to the "Is homosexuality genetic or not" question never bother to actually ask a Homosexual about this, ask them how they feel they came about being Gay, and whether they feel they learned this behavior or not. All of my gay friends laugh out loud when they get this question, and all of them cite that they felt this way as children, and last I heard, children weren't being taught "how to be gay" in school. I would also like to point out that being gay is not a "lifestyle"..a lifestyle is going boating every weekend. Being gay is a Life, not a style. And gays don't want any special privileges, they want Equality..just like Blacks did when all sorts of reasons and justifications were made to keep them in slavery and without rights...everything from how our country would go down the drain without slave agricultural labor to how society would not be able to deal with "mixed" race children if blacks and whites were allowed to marry. It only looks like Gays want "special privileges" to some because Heterosexual american society at large is so used to denying them what they get automatically, mainly the right to marry, taxation and social security spousal benefits, and spousal rights. Heteros and Homos put the same thing into the American system, mainly taxes. So why is it only the Hetero group gets all those taxation, social security spousal benefits and marriage rights? You tell me who is getting special privileges?
I think the best way to answer this question is to use the same rules of application on Heterosexuals. As a Heterosexual, did you learn to like the opposite sex or did it just come naturally to you? If it just came naturally to you, if those feelings were always their without them being taught to you or you being conditioned to them, if that urge inside to love and want to be close and intimate with the opposite sex was something that just sprung forth from within without any learning, then how can you look at a Homosexual who feels this same way about the same sex and deny them that it came from the same source that your feelings and emotions came from? As Spock would say, "Captain, that simply is not logical.." =)
And now for a little levity:
10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong
01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.
07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.
09) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.