post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'Top Gear' in their pipes?

The BBC said they had 'herbal tobacco'. We all know what that means, right kids?

From BBC News today

Top Gear pipes anger anti-smokers

Clarkson and May lit pipes filled with herbal tobacco

Anti-smoking campaigners have asked the BBC to apologise after Top Gear presenters Jeremy Clarkson and James May lit pipes on Sunday's show.
"Smoking in a studio is illegal. We would hope programme-makers make some form of apology," said a spokeswoman for Action on Smoking and Health (Ash).
Waverley Borough Council said it was investigating the incident at Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey.
The BBC declined to comment on whether or not what took place was illegal.
All three of the show's presenters pulled pipes out from under their chairs during a discussion about Porsche-branded products, but Richard Hammond did not light up, having recently given up smoking.
Hammond declined to light his pipe

After putting the wrong end of the pipe in his mouth, Clarkson, 47, was seen running from the stage.
The ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces in England was introduced in July, following similar laws in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland.
Flouting the ban can result in fines of up to £50 for individuals and £2,500 for businesses who allow people to smoke on their premises.
The BBC's spokeswoman said it had received just a couple of viewers' complaints.
'No audience complaints'
"During an item in Top Gear, making fun of car merchandise, the presenters lit up branded pipes, which contained herbal tobacco," she said.
"We are very upfront about the style and tone of the show, so viewers know what to expect."
"There were no complaints from members of the audience present during the filming," she added.
One audience member told the BBC News website: "No-one in the audience seemed to mind when they lit up - people laughed, although the room did get quite smoky."
'Not appropriate'
Ash's spokeswoman said smoking was "not appropriate for the BBC".
"There are no exceptions," she said, adding: "You cannot smoke in a public place. This isn't covered by artistic integrity."
She said she did not consider it appropriate to fine the BBC, but that producers "should be reminded at the very least of the law, and make sure they abide by it".
A spokeswoman for Waverley Borough Council said footage of the show had not yet been viewed, but added: "Smoking is not permitted in a smoke-free place."
The Rolling Stones flouted the ban in August when Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood smoked cigarettes during a gig at London's O2 arena.
The venue was not fined after Greenwich Council said it was "satisfied" the incident was a one-off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
It was funny as fuck DR , Jeremy puts the lit Porsche pipe in his mouth round the wrong way as continuation of his joke about the Porsche having the engine at the wrong end , set's his mouth on fire and has to spit it all out at the audience's feet , oh how we laughed.

Last edited by Von Vorschlag; 10-16-2007 at 08:37 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
^^^^
Yeah, I was going to ask if anyone saw the show. On Sunday here they aired the 'caravan holiday' episode from about a year ago and that had us spitting our coffee. He's a wag that Jezza.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 AM

^
One a playwright feted for his literary genius, the other a rock star renowned for his foul mouth: but Oscar Wilde and Liam Gallagher now share the accolade of being voted among Britain's greatest wits.

Great minds: Oscar Wilde, Jeremy Clarkson and Liam Gallagher have been voted into list of favourite wits

Have your say: What are
your favourite witticisms?
Wilde, who even on his deathbed remarked, "either those curtains go or I do", was voted number one in the list of comic masters, ahead of comedian Spike Milligan, who had engraved on his tombstone the epitaph "I told you I was ill".

Third was Stephen Fry, who played Wilde in the 1997 eponymous film of his life.

He once quoted the playwright when passing through airport customs, announcing: "I have nothing to declare but my genius."

And in reference to his homosexuality, the comedian, actor, and quiz show host declared: "My first words, as I was being born... I looked up at my mother and said, 'that's the last time I'm going up one of those.'"

The poll of 3,000 comedy fans placed Liam Gallagher tenth.

advertisementThe Oasis singer, famed for his drunken antics and abrasive attitude, once said of his brother Noel, "I'd do time for him. I love him. Me and him are cool. If anyone stepped on his toes, I'd cut them off."

In fourth place was the columnist and host of the motoring programme Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson.

The self-confessed petrolhead is unafraid of stirring up controversy with his caustic comments.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That's what gets you," he once declared.

Wartime prime minister Sir Winston Churchill, famed for his witty putdowns came in fifth.

Accused of being drunk by the MP Bessie Braddock he is said to have replied: "Madam, you are ugly. And I shall be sober in the morning."

Former prime minister Margaret Thatcher, more renowned for her steely personality than her roustabout humour, was the highest ranked woman in the poll, taking 12th place.

She once quipped: "Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."

The poll was conducted to mark the launch of a new UKTV digital television channel called Dave under the banner "The home of witty banter".

Quotes from Britain's top ten wits

1 Oscar Wilde: "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."

2 Spike Milligan: "A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree."

3 Stephen Fry: "It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue"

4 Jeremy Clarkson: "We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging. I want to drive around in a Terminator, not the heroine in an EM Forster novel."

5 Sir Winston Churchill: "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

6 Paul Merton: "My school days were the happiest of my life: which should give you some indication of the misery I've endured over the past twenty five years."

7 Noel Coward: "Wit ought to be a glorious treat like caviar. Never spread it about like marmalade."

8 William Shakespeare: "Being born is like being kidnapped. And then sold into slavery."

9 Brian Clough: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business, but I was in the top one"

10 Liam Gallagher: "She can't even chew gum and walk in a straight line, let alone write a book." (on Victoria Beckham)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag View Post
10 Liam Gallagher: "She can't even chew gum and walk in a straight line, let alone write a book." (on Victoria Beckham)
I totally agree with Clarkson on that list, but if Liam Gallagher said that it is only because his brother Noel wrote it for him.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Brilliant. There is NOTHING, nothing, like British wit.

There is nothing anywhere else in the world that comes close.

Of course on the other hand there is the Royal Society For the Protection of Birds.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Best car show going, but it can try too hard sometimes to be exciting.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag View Post
^
One a playwright feted for his literary genius, the other a rock star renowned for his foul mouth: but Oscar Wilde and Liam Gallagher now share the accolade of being voted among Britain's greatest wits.

Great minds: Oscar Wilde, Jeremy Clarkson and Liam Gallagher have been voted into list of favourite wits

Have your say: What are
your favourite witticisms?
Wilde, who even on his deathbed remarked, "either those curtains go or I do", was voted number one in the list of comic masters, ahead of comedian Spike Milligan, who had engraved on his tombstone the epitaph "I told you I was ill".

Third was Stephen Fry, who played Wilde in the 1997 eponymous film of his life.

He once quoted the playwright when passing through airport customs, announcing: "I have nothing to declare but my genius."

And in reference to his homosexuality, the comedian, actor, and quiz show host declared: "My first words, as I was being born... I looked up at my mother and said, 'that's the last time I'm going up one of those.'"

The poll of 3,000 comedy fans placed Liam Gallagher tenth.

advertisementThe Oasis singer, famed for his drunken antics and abrasive attitude, once said of his brother Noel, "I'd do time for him. I love him. Me and him are cool. If anyone stepped on his toes, I'd cut them off."

In fourth place was the columnist and host of the motoring programme Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson.

The self-confessed petrolhead is unafraid of stirring up controversy with his caustic comments.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That's what gets you," he once declared.

Wartime prime minister Sir Winston Churchill, famed for his witty putdowns came in fifth.

Accused of being drunk by the MP Bessie Braddock he is said to have replied: "Madam, you are ugly. And I shall be sober in the morning."

Former prime minister Margaret Thatcher, more renowned for her steely personality than her roustabout humour, was the highest ranked woman in the poll, taking 12th place.

She once quipped: "Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."

The poll was conducted to mark the launch of a new UKTV digital television channel called Dave under the banner "The home of witty banter".

Quotes from Britain's top ten wits

1 Oscar Wilde: "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."

2 Spike Milligan: "A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree."

3 Stephen Fry: "It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue"

4 Jeremy Clarkson: "We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging. I want to drive around in a Terminator, not the heroine in an EM Forster novel."

5 Sir Winston Churchill: "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

6 Paul Merton: "My school days were the happiest of my life: which should give you some indication of the misery I've endured over the past twenty five years."

7 Noel Coward: "Wit ought to be a glorious treat like caviar. Never spread it about like marmalade."

8 William Shakespeare: "Being born is like being kidnapped. And then sold into slavery."

9 Brian Clough: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business, but I was in the top one"

Oscar Wilde is indeed a scream. The deathbed remark about the curtains is a pure classic. I had no idea of it, when I put a quote of his in my signature

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
I totally agree with Clarkson on that list, but if Liam Gallagher said that it is only because his brother Noel wrote it for him.
Your finger is on the pulse jlomon , two other people have said the same comment ,I can't stand the northern monkey, he more smarmy than witty and his band is just a feeble homage to Lennon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in