Benzworld - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I wasn't hiding. Go read some of those exchanges again. I supported QBN's position. You aren't a real American, nor are you a real anything from SE Asia. You retain your American citizenship by some technicality but don't pay dues, don't reside here, and essentially amount to a "taker" without any "giving" to this country. At the bottom line, you are on par with illegal aliens who milk the system for some free American benefits while not paying to sustain them. Only you do it from your perch behind some legal technicality that eliminates risk to being deported and denied those services. But that is an old argument you lost a long time ago, so why bring it up again?

Well JE, that was an attempt to avoid a long, drawn out discussion on why QBN was banned, without piling on. Read it. Moderators do what they have to do when they feel they need to, and I am glad Teutone is the moderator here and not some of the other, smaller minded people who visit this site. Tough job being a moderator. Give the guy some respect, even if you don't see his point on the surface. Jim

Exactly what benefits do I get from the US govt, name them please, one by one. I have not been back for 18 yrs, oh I they did send me a tax refund last year of USD 3.17 which I told them to keep as it would cost me 15 USD bank charges to deposit an oveseas check in my HSBC account here. In your small mind is the only place I lost the argument as it seems you do not respect the laws put in place for Americans living overseas. So you think I should not follow the laws, interesting..........

As for BW Mods in general, some I have respect for, others not.....The 3 mods on this forum I have great respect for as this is a wild wild west show in this forum and takes alot out of a person I am sure

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 10-13-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
JE,

Lets not drag this out further. Just explain your tax payments to either the country you claim citizenship or the country where you live. That is where it starts. And, if retaining your American citizenship does nothing for you, go ahead and renounce it. Become a citizen of another country, say, the one you've lived in for nearly two decades, for example.

I lived in Germany growing up and know how it feels to be a perpetual guest in another country. And I know about the tax benefits. But live away from your homeland long enough and you lose the ties to a community there. After you lose the tie, you are an odd brand of American - one that is never in America, and doesn't live with Americans, but not of the local nationality either. It is your choice, and it seems you chose to avoid paying taxes. Understandable. But not particularly patriotic or commendable. Jim
post #43 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:13 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
JE,

Lets not drag this out further. Just explain your tax payments to either the country you claim citizenship or the country where you live. That is where it starts. And, if retaining your American citizenship does nothing for you, go ahead and renounce it. Become a citizen of another country, say, the one you've lived in for nearly two decades, for example.

I lived in Germany growing up and know how it feels to be a perpetual guest in another country. And I know about the tax benefits. But live away from your homeland long enough and you lose the ties to a community there. After you lose the tie, you are an odd brand of American - one that is never in America, and doesn't live with Americans, but not of the local nationality either. It is your choice, and it seems you chose to avoid paying taxes. Understandable. But not particularly patriotic or commendable. Jim
I file tax statements in both countries every year. I go by the laws of both countires and this makes me less of an American, how American is that attitude? I assume you take the Republican stance when it fits your argument because it sures sounds like a Homeland security issue now. That is the problem with people like you and Qbaby, you think because you believe it thats the way it should be even if your train of thought goes against current US law Are you a Kookberger?

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 10-13-2007 at 12:29 PM.
post #44 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
I file tax statements in both countries every year. I go by the laws of both countires and this makes me less of an American, how American is that attitude?
Do you pay taxes at the same rates on your income as either a native in America, living in America, or a native living in the country you elect to reside in presently?

Jim

Edit: Your credibility on issues pertaining to American domestic issues especially, but also to a large extent on international issues, is much the same as Catholic priests' credibility on the details of married life. They participate in the weddings, but have no direct experience to offer on the subject of day to day life with a mate and raising children together. Yet they feel compelled to offer their point of view on every aspect of married life, and even heterosexual activities of unmarried individuals.

As for Homeland Security, I think you are on your own there. Make whatever you would like to make with that. But, I readily confess that if an idea with merit is attributed to a Republican, or the Republican Party, I will use it. Good ideas are always good ideas and if you can't distinguish good ideas without political party labels JE, that is a weakness you need to work on along with your nationality dilemma. Jim

Last edited by JimSmith; 10-13-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Missed a tangent in my first reply, then JE added some fluff in his edit.
post #45 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:32 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Do you pay taxes at the same rates on your income as either a native in America, living in America, or a native living in the country you elect to reside in presently?

Jim

Actually Jim I pay 35% tax here in Indonesia and in America my tax I pay is based on current US tax laws. You do want me folllow the US Tax law do you not?
post #46 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Actually Jim I pay 35% tax here in Indonesia and in America my tax I pay is based on current US tax laws. You do want me folllow the US Tax law do you not?
It is not worth digging up your past posts on the subject, but you seem to be suddenly less open about your tax situation. You were noted in the past to be bragging about the way you and your wife are paying taxes, or not. If you are now less willing to 'fess up, so be it. Jim
post #47 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Tax avoidance or tax evasion?

Quote:
A very slick and evasive choice of words it sounds like but it won't fool anyone.

That appears to be a classic case of choice of residency based on Tax Avoidance. At least it is not tax Evasion, there is a difference between the two.
Tax avoidance and tax evasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a common ploy by American corporations to do this kind of thing. Headquartered offshore in places like the Cayman Islands where they can take advantages of legal and technical advantages in tax and banking laws for their financial gain. Some of the laws making that possible were no doubt passed by "campaign contributions" to the lawmakers who passed them. A polite way of saying "biibery" of legislators to get that result

As JimSmith said, not particularly patriotic or commendable. In fact it has a slight whiff of underlying corruption, and greed. People and corporations that flee
to "Tax Havens" are well known, and not held in especially high esteem.

But technically still perfectly legal.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 10-13-2007 at 12:53 PM.
post #48 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:52 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
A very slick and evasive choice of words it sounds like but it won't fool anyone.

That appears to be a classic case of choice of residency based on Tax Avoidance. At least it is not tax Evasion, there is a difference between the two.
Tax avoidance and tax evasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a common ploy by American corporations to do this kind of thing. Headquartered offshore in places like the Cayman Islands where they can take advantages of legal and technical advantages in tax and banking laws for their financial gain.

As JimSmith said, not particularly patriotic or commendable.

But technically still legal.
My whole point is that I am following the law but Jim and Qbaby say I am not an American because I live over here. If the US govt. wants to change their tax laws for US citizens livng overseas then they should or Jim and Qbaby could get out and campaign to have all US ciitzens who live oveseas for a while to be declared Persona NonGrata then they could sleep easy at night instead of worrying about my citizenship.......
post #49 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:55 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
It is not worth digging up your past posts on the subject, but you seem to be suddenly less open about your tax situation. You were noted in the past to be bragging about the way you and your wife are paying taxes, or not. If you are now less willing to 'fess up, so be it. Jim
Dig up the posts. As ofr my wife she is an Indonesian citizen not a US citizen and follows Indonesian law. I follow both coutries tax code. You can easily check if what I say is true about the 35% rate.
post #50 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:58 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
JE, I believe the deep irony people find at fault with you might pertain to the fact that you are a hardcore patriot of pro-American politics but chose to live, and brag about it, overseas in another country. You do see the irony here don't you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in