Supporting the Troops - Bush Style! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Supporting the Troops - Bush Style!

I am sure the Bush apologists are awaiting their talking points from tomorrow's drug addled Limbaugh Report. This has been brewing for some time but this is the first group to actually hit the threshold and it was a wait and see to determine with the Pentagon and White House were going to ManUp. Apparently NOT.

Good to see the Administration and its wandering lemmings really knows how to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to Supporting the Troops. Apparently that only goes as far as printing up the bumper stickers. Walter Reed, VA, lack of Body Armor, and now this - ALL decisions made with a Republican President, Republican Congress and a Pentagon made up of Bushies. SHAME ON YOU.

National Guard Troops Denied Benefits After Longest Deployment Of Iraq War

MINNEAPOLIS, MN (NBC) -- When they came home from Iraq, 2,600 members of the Minnesota National Guard had been deployed longer than any other ground combat unit. The tour lasted 22 months and had been extended as part of President Bush's surge.

1st Lt. Jon Anderson said he never expected to come home to this: A government refusing to pay education benefits he says he should have earned under the GI bill.

"It's pretty much a slap in the face," Anderson said. "I think it was a scheme to save money, personally. I think it was a leadership failure by the senior Washington leadership... once again failing the soldiers."

Anderson's orders, and the orders of 1,161 other Minnesota guard members, were written for 729 days.

Had they been written for 730 days, just one day more, the soldiers would receive those benefits to pay for school.


"Which would be allowing the soldiers an extra $500 to $800 a month," Anderson said.

That money would help him pay for his master's degree in public administration. It would help Anderson's fellow platoon leader, John Hobot, pay for a degree in law enforcement.

"I would assume, and I would hope, that when I get back from a deployment of 22 months, my senior leadership in Washington, the leadership that extended us in the first place, would take care of us once we got home," Hobot said.

Both Hobot and Anderson believe the Pentagon deliberately wrote orders for 729 days instead of 730. Now, six of Minnesota's members of the House of Representatives have asked the Secretary of the Army to look into it -- So have Senators Amy Klobuchar and Norm Coleman.

Klobuchar said the GI money "shouldn't be tied up in red tape," and Coleman said it's "simply irresponsible to deny education benefits to those soldiers who just completed the longest tour of duty of any unit in Iraq."

Anderson said the soldiers he oversaw in his platoon expected that money to be here when they come home.

"I had 23 guys under my command," Anderson said. "I promised to take care of them. And I'm not going to end taking care of them when this deployment is over, and it's not over until this is solved."

The Army did not respond questions Tuesday afternoon.

Senators Klobuchar and Coleman released a joint statement saying the Army secretary, Pete Geren, is looking into this personally, and they say Geren asked a review board to expedite its review so the matter could be solved by next semester.

Minnesota National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Kevin Olson said the soldiers are "victims of a significant injustice."

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=71741

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Anderson's orders, and the orders of 1,161 other Minnesota guard members, were written for 729 days.

Had they been written for 730 days, just one day more, the soldiers would receive those benefits to pay for school.
An amazing and unfortunate coincidence...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Always Remembered RIP
 
cascade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Location: Grass Valley, N. Calif. / Gardnerville, Nevada
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
And here I thought only Blackwater, Halliburton and KBR was the only move towards privatizing the military.

It is a time honored custom of American comapnies to fire employees after 29 years and 6 months to avoid paying them a pension for working 30 years.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.


"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 10-07-2007 at 07:11 PM.
cascade is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,253
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'm befuddled by the stories that indicate the government is trying to save money at soldier's expense (Walter Reed, this, hand-crafting discharge papers to minimize benefits by the VA), when they are so hell-bent on spending it everywhere else. Extending deployments isn't cheap. Recruiting soldiers isn't cheap. The war in Iraq isn't cheap. It just doesn't make any sense at all...not even the 'logical conclusion' makes any sense.

There are some nearsighted, self-important bureaucrats at the bottom of all of this, and unfortunately, their actions are taken to be the actions of an Administration which probably isn't even a little bit focused on them.
Qubes is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
I'm befuddled by the stories that indicate the government is trying to save money at soldier's expense (Walter Reed, this, hand-crafting discharge papers to minimize benefits by the VA), when they are so hell-bent on spending it everywhere else. Extending deployments isn't cheap. Recruiting soldiers isn't cheap. The war in Iraq isn't cheap. It just doesn't make any sense at all...not even the 'logical conclusion' makes any sense.

There are some nearsighted, self-important bureaucrats at the bottom of all of this, and unfortunately, their actions are taken to be the actions of an Administration which probably isn't even a little bit focused on them.
I would agree completely except the Democratic Senator from Minnesota and several of her colleagues have been bringing it to the White House's attention for nearly a year [when someone first noted the 729/730 coincidence]. White House knew, Pentagon knew, everyone who could do something about it knew. They made a decision.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'll wait to hear what the Pentagon says, but if they really did that to deliberately avoid paying those troops benefits they should have received I think heads will roll--and I am sure the President will lead the way if this were truly what that soldier said it was. As Republican Senator Coleman said it's "simply irresponsible to deny education benefits to those soldiers who just completed the longest tour of duty of any unit in Iraq." What I wonder is do National Guard units qualify for those benefits the same as regular military personnel do, or are they requesting something they knew going in was not part of the deal...

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 10-07-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Jayhawk is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I'll wait to hear what the Pentagon says, but if they really did that to deliberately avoid paying those troops benefits they should have received I think heads will roll--and I am sure the President will lead the way if this were truly what that soldier said it was. As Republican Senator Coleman said it's "simply irresponsible to deny education benefits to those soldiers who just completed the longest tour of duty of any unit in Iraq." What I wonder is do National Guard units qualify for those benefits the same as regular military personnel do, or are they requesting something they knew going in was not part of the deal...
It depends on the length of their tour. Why do you think they made their tour 729 days?

Thing is Coleman knew LAST YEAR. He is only "outraged" now as it has become public and he is slipping in the poles. Imagine that.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
It depends on the length of their tour. Why do you think they made their tour 729 days?

Thing is Coleman knew LAST YEAR. He is only "outraged" now as it has become public and he is slipping in the poles. Imagine that.
If they were eligible and the military cut their tour by one day short, I think some heads should and will roll! I thought the democrats also knew of this last year but were all trying to determine what had really happened and why. After all, if this situation has been known for a year, and we are just now starting to hear about it, there must be more to it than the knee-jerker's here think. Unlike some here, I don't just assume they had ulterior motives just because of their political party affiliation. And I'm sorry to see the way you and others are acting w/out really knowing all there is to know about the situation. I suggest we wait and see what the real/complete story is before we start impeachment procedures. But that's just me...

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
A264172's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
if Al-Qaeda has a calculator, they now have their timetable for withdrawal.

-Marty


"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
A264172 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
If they were eligible and the military cut their tour by one day short, I think some heads should and will roll! I thought the democrats also knew of this last year but were all trying to determine what had really happened and why. After all, if this situation has been known for a year, and we are just now starting to hear about it, there must be more to it than the knee-jerker's here think. Unlike some here, I don't just assume they had ulterior motives just because of their political party affiliation. And I'm sorry to see the way you and others are acting w/out really knowing all there is to know about the situation. I suggest we wait and see what the real/complete story is before we start impeachment procedures. But that's just me...
I have been following the story for over A YEAR. Most of us thought it would resolve itself as the year progressed and not get to this end date. There is no knee jerk reaction, it just made big media splash AFTER the troops got home and could speak about it in public. The story has been going on, and Congress has been trying to work the White House and Pentagon to get resolution.

Since it did not resolve, some of the troops decided to exercise their remaining First Amendment rights to point out the duplicity of the Pentagon and how they have been playing Three Card Monty with the benefits of the Troops, - ACTIVE, Reserve and National Guard.

You can say "I don't just assume they had ulterior motives just because of their political party affiliation" but The Decider, the SecArmy, CJCoS, SecDef are the ones who ARE responsible for the decision and they are all one Party Affiliation and are continuing their complete disrespect for the troops. These weren't ulterior motives, these are just motives of callous disregard and Piss Poor Planning - AGAIN.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Bush vetos funding for troops in the field. FeelTheLove Off-Topic 23 05-01-2007 10:53 PM
    Bush and Cheney Supporting the Troops Again JimSmith Off-Topic 0 02-27-2007 08:01 AM
    The cost of supporting Israel ? Teutone Off-Topic 300 01-02-2007 07:55 PM
    Democratic Comments supporting War 560DBleu Off-Topic 47 11-17-2005 03:44 PM
    You're all supporting terrorists.... TK W163 M-Class 23 01-10-2003 10:03 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome