LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well that's a ton of new information. If you work in the 'industry' then you probably know the answers to the questions you were asking originally, such as whether or not there would be points on your license, etc. Anyway, if the cop had banged on my window with his flashlight I'd have been pretty pissed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Marsden,
As a matter of fact, I don't know the ins and outs of the law because I am NOT an officer.

It is also professional courtesy not to ask the officers, even after hours, when we hang around in bars, about work. We very seldom talk shops.

That's why our company issues us those license frames (one set per employee) in situation like this, and hope the officer knows who we work for and give us a break. But there is no guarantee.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
Well, it sounds as if he mightn't have cut you the slack if his mood hadn't changed upon learning your age and your good driving record, right?
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
The cop "seemed" to be doing him a favor? It was an enormous favor, and he didn't have to do anything of the kind. Back in the day, I got two speeding tickets in Maryland, and both of them were for exactly the speed I had been driving, as near as I could tell. Maybe because I was driving a sports car

Keep in mind that one reason that cops drop speeds, when confronted with a reasonable and presumably safe driver such as this one, is to avoid any follow up, such as having it contested. I mean, who would?

Now come on. Try facing a cop after driving 9 over vs. him catching you at 30 over. In the second instance, there's a good chance he'll be mad instead of just bored. Outcome possibly quite different.

I still say he should follow one good turn with another. Attempting to 'game the system' after having been shown considerable forebearance is asking for it, and pretty questionable in the karma department as well.
He'll still pay a fine. He will be punished. It's not gaming if that's the way the system is set to work. If he wasn't allowed to contest it, there wouldn't be court. He might be able to avoid those points. Why should he receive the double punishment of a fine and higher insurance rates if the State builds in a way for him to avoid it? The plea is "Guilty but with an explanation".

The stretch of road he was driving on was originally built for higher speed. The limits dropped to the double nickel under Jimmy Carter and they have been kept artificially low ever since but that's a subject for another thread. If he was one of two cars on the road, it must have been very late because there's ALWAYS traffic on that road. This was a speed trap.

I don't know how long it's been since you've driven in Maryland (regularly) but these days you can be doing 80 and there will be maybe two car lengths between you and the car behind and he'll be flashing you. That's the straight truth as my wife drives from Baltimore to DC daily and I've taken her to work enough to have it happen to me repeatedly. It's an experience not to be missed.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
He'll still pay a fine. He will be punished. It's not gaming if that's the way the system is set to work. If he wasn't allowed to contest it, there wouldn't be court. He might be able to avoid those points. Why should he receive the double punishment of a fine and higher insurance rates if the State builds in a way for him to avoid it? The plea is "Guilty but with an explanation".

The stretch of road he was driving on was originally built for higher speed. The limits dropped to the double nickel under Jimmy Carter and they have been kept artificially low ever since but that's a subject for another thread. If he was one of two cars on the road, it must have been very late because there's ALWAYS traffic on that road. This was a speed trap.

I don't know how long it's been since you've driven in Maryland (regularly) but these days you can be doing 80 and there will be maybe two car lengths between you and the car behind and he'll be flashing you. That's the straight truth as my wife drives from Baltimore to DC daily and I've taken her to work enough to have it happen to me repeatedly. It's an experience not to be missed.
I have no real quarrel with "guilty with an explanation" if he has one. But since he was (by his own admission) actually driving much faster than the citation indicates, what on earth will be the explanation? "Your honor, I'm guilty of driving 9 over but my explanation is that I was actually driving 23 over"

About Maryland, well I live in Virginia now, and as you may know our penalties are now insane, and for residents only. He'd have a $3000 fine for 23 over. That would be worth fighting.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
About Maryland, well I live in Virginia now, and as you may know our penalties are now insane, and for residents only. He'd have a $3000 fine for 23 over. That would be worth fighting.
And isn't it interesting that the Legislator that wrote and pushed those new Draconian Virginia tack-on fines is Senior Partner in a law firm that specializes in getting folks out of DUI and traffic tickets. No conflict of interest there, move on, nothing to see here.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
The sad thing is that the public's memory is so short that they will have forgotten about it come election day. And since the financial assaults are so widely dispersed, it's hard to maintain a critical mass of offended parties.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
I have no real quarrel with "guilty with an explanation" if he has one. But since he was (by his own admission) actually driving much faster than the citation indicates, what on earth will be the explanation? "Your honor, I'm guilty of driving 9 over but my explanation is that I was actually driving 23 over"
When a road built for higher speeds is artifically limited to much lower speed (see Thrill Kill's post about Oregon), a stop such as this is about the ticket. Elau said he was going 78. He didn't say how he knew that. Is that what the officer told him or did he look intently enough at his speedo (presumably non-digital) while simultaneously watching the flashing lights in the rear view? That's a question for him, I suppose. Who knows their speed every moment they are at the wheel?

Still, if the car was being operated in a safe manner on a highway built to handle that speed and a system is in place to reduce the penalty, it should be used. His explanation is simply, "I didn't realize I was going the speed the officer claimed I was going." Not a lie and it gives everyone an out.

Quote:
Word!

Dig's edit: Except for that Karma thing. Is $3000 too much for Karma while $80 is OK? What was that Churchill comeback, again?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Last edited by Digmenow; 10-05-2007 at 08:25 PM.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
A small but vocal minority here in the Old Dominion are saying "Don't break the law and you have nothing to worry about." I figure they're the same ones clogging up the left lane whilst chatting away on their cell phones (despite signs on I-95 saying "Slower Traffic Keep Right". I also figure they need torturing to death.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:47 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
The Karma thing was about the officer cutting him slack, not the size of the fine. But we're all whores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in