LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Ahhhh, family first. That is too bad about missing LA and the folks who'd hoped to visit you.

It is a spectacular trip you'll have. Back in 1985 I too, had the chance to drive a near new 1984 500SEC AMG from SF to Denver, and I went via Salt Lake to Cheyenne, and to Denver. Fantastic scenery, great car too. Take plenty of your great pictures, keep in touch as you can.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Ahhhh, family first. That is too bad about missing LA and the folks who'd hoped to visit you.

It is a spectacular trip you'll have. Back in 1985 I too, had the chance to drive a near new 1984 500SEC AMG from SF to Denver, and I went via Salt Lake to Cheyenne, and to Denver. Fantastic scenery, great car too. Take plenty of your great pictures, keep in touch as you can.
It was beautiful today. I did get my speedometer certified by the Nevada State Patrol. I believe the cruise and speedo were calibrated to 91. Fortunately he was from Hopkinsville Kentucky so I got a bit of Bluegrass discount on the ticket. He apparently had to write something since he chased me for about 8 miles. Oops. He must not have been chasing very hard.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #103 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
It was beautiful today. I did get my speedometer certified by the Nevada State Patrol. I believe the cruise and speedo were calibrated to 91. Fortunately he was from Hopkinsville Kentucky so I got a bit of Bluegrass discount on the ticket. He apparently had to write something since he chased me for about 8 miles. Oops. He must not have been chasing very hard.
Cops out that way must like MBs. I was driving my new 280SL from SF to Tahoe many years ago and near the NV boarder a CHiPy pulled me over. He said he was going over 100 mph and I was still pulling away. He said he'd been following me for some time because he wanted to see my car. It turned out he owned a MB (I think he said a 300D?) and always wanted an SL. I showed him the engine and car interior and then we set on the hood of his cruiser for 20 minutes talking cars. My gf was sitting in the SL worried sick about what was going on, but she was very happy when I returned w/out a ticket. The cop told me to keep it under 100 until I reached the NV line (NV didn't have a speed limit then). I thanked him and we went in different directions. A really nice guy and MB owner. That was one time MB really paid off.

I hope your mom's okay. I'll understand if you can't stop, but still hope to see you after the AFA.

Don't believe everything you think
post #104 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Too bad you won't make it to L.A. this time. We had been looking forward to your visit. Perhaps another time.
Still, no reason why not a few of us lala land members can have a little GTG for drinks or whatever in the coming weeks.
Travel safely Mark.
post #105 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: '93 500E, '02 C320 Wagon (sport), '78 308 GTS, '00 Contour SVT, '03 SV650s
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your mom. Family definitely takes priority. I'll let you know what happens with the 500E.

Godspeed (not real sure what that means, but I've always wanted to say it).

Henry

Henry

'93 500E
'02 C320 Wagon (sport)
'78 308 GTS
'00 Contour SVT (for sale)
'03 SV650s
post #106 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
First, thanks for the kind thoughts. Appears mom's new meds are not playing well. Causing the wackies [and not the good kind]. Wifie has it stabilized to the point that I can make the trip home at a saner pace than originally expected.

I am really sorry to have missed the SoCal portion of the trip, I looked at my frequent fliers so I might just have to make another zip out sooner, rather than later - though not with a car purchase.

A couple of shots of the day, the scenics will be up on my gallery after I post up here.

Re the third shot of the highway cutting through the rocks. What kind of temptation puts a guy in a SEC with full AMG suspension, new tires on a newly paved, empty road?

The second shot is at the Bonneville Salt Flats at dawn this morning.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #107 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
What kind of temptation puts a guy in a SEC with new tires on a newly paved, empty road?

It's a gift from the angels, they have dispensed it to me ..in Utah on the I.70. Moab to the I.15.

198 miles in 2 hours.

`
post #108 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I was lucky to do this legally on the Autobahn. I used to see my friends in Amsterdam / Zandvoort about three times a month. I would usually leave after 9:30 PM to avoid the main traffic. Door to door, 227 miles, fastest was 1hr 58 min, incl. a stop at the (then pre EU) Dutch border. That was in a BMW, sorry.
post #109 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNZ View Post
It's a gift from the angels, they have dispensed it to me ..in Utah on the I.70. Moab to the I.15.

198 miles in 2 hours.

`
I have done the run before but for some reason it was better today. Last time was in a CLK and before that I believe a VW Quantum Wagon [one quick wagon]. I think it had to do with the storm clouds behind me most of the way which put a nice filter on the light.

Scenics up on McAllisterBryant's deviantART Gallery

While I shot a lot, I only posted up a few as it is late. Tomorrow I head through the Rockies to Colorado Springs.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #110 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Damn, that isn't just photography. That is ART! That scenery is simply majestic. Somehow there must be a way for one of these to become wallpapaper on the laptop.

This just went into my "add to favorites"!!

Enjoy the trip and be safe!!!

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in