Again...keeping my Benz...or?? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Location: Ratville
Posts: 24,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Sounds like mom and pop are telling you to save some money.

About the airbag, I won't sweat not having it. I drove without one for a long time.
Reminds me of that scene in Vacation when the air bag was still the butt of car jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill_babe View Post
.. they think it's cheaper for me to keep it, instead of spending money on a new car, and property tax, etc. ..D
mlfun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 03:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Punjabi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Location: In Virtual Reality
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heh, heh....reckon this one would do nicely for you! heh, heh........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chilly_car.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	144257  
Punjabi is offline  
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Roch207's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Location: Southcoast Massachusetts
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't let miles on the odometer scare you. You car is designed to travel many hundreds of thousands of miles with regular maintenance. So long as there is no rust and you keep up with oil, filters and wear items you can put your money aside. Follow your factory maintenance schedule so you don't forget tranny service and coolant replacement. Look at your belts and hoses for signs of wear. Drive it until you have enough for a newer car in cash, or the engine implodes in the C230.

As for the airbag...wear your seatbelt.
Roch207 is offline  
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Always Remembered RIP
 
cascade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Location: Grass Valley, N. Calif. / Gardnerville, Nevada
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml View Post
Don't get the RR Sport. Overpriced for what it's supposed to be and be able to do.
I don't like British cars. They make me think of bonnie, bonnie babies. Delightful to hold, even MORE delightful to give back.

As was said before, (with respect to Jaguars)to get the sense of what it is like to OWN a British car, drive one of them at night in the rain, with the windshield wipers off and the headlights off.

And don't forget to leave ALL the windows rolled down.

Then, every time you come to a stop light or a stop sign, throw a $20 bill out the window.

That is the ownership experience of one defined.

My friend bought a marvelous 1989 Rolls Royce Silver Spur about a year ago.
Smoking deal, $17k for a car worth about $31k

A hubcap dropped off on the Bay bridge to San Francisco on the way back from the PPI and a car ran over it imediately and squashed it. He refused to buy it unless it was replaced. They called Rolls Royce parts who told them it cost $1000 for a new hubcap. Found some on ebay for $500

After a year he told me he spent $14,000 in repairs; his wife told me it was $15,000. And it needs more work.

Some bargain that turned out to be. Not to mention the garage he had built to park it in.

But I got to drive it, an YAH, it is glorious, and YAH it sure gets the looks.

But you have to park far away from other cars less wee heavies draw envy lines on it with bricks.

RR?

Nien, danke

If you have a Mercedes, keep it. They are safe. 120k is nothing. My car has 119k and it runs just fine.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.


"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
cascade is offline  
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
chill_babe's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: C230
Location: St. Louis =P
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punjabi View Post
heh, heh....reckon this one would do nicely for you! heh, heh........

gawd you get more weird every sand step you take...hopefully it's quicksand

Last edited by chill_babe; 10-01-2007 at 05:24 PM.
chill_babe is offline  
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
chill_babe's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: C230
Location: St. Louis =P
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch207 View Post
Don't let miles on the odometer scare you. You car is designed to travel many hundreds of thousands of miles with regular maintenance. So long as there is no rust and you keep up with oil, filters and wear items you can put your money aside. Follow your factory maintenance schedule so you don't forget tranny service and coolant replacement. Look at your belts and hoses for signs of wear. Drive it until you have enough for a newer car in cash, or the engine implodes in the C230.

As for the airbag...wear your seatbelt.
very true, I've been told before not to worry about the mileage as long as I keep up with the repairs and routine maintenance. I did just get the oil and filter changed so that's good. now that you mention it, I might need a new belt because for some reason, something squeaks when I'm on the accelerator or coasting. it would be a great idea if I can save up the cash and but much of it towards a new car when I'm ready.
the airbag thing kinda scared me, but yah since I do wear my seat belt, it wouldn't be too bad, and I do know the seat belt works because when I go around tight corners kinda fast, I feel it resisiting, holding me back so that's a good sign.
chill_babe is offline  
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
 
Digmenow's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 36,503
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill_babe View Post
very true, I've been told before not to worry about the mileage as long as I keep up with the repairs and routine maintenance. I did just get the oil and filter changed so that's good. now that you mention it, I might need a new belt because for some reason, something squeaks when I'm on the accelerator or coasting. it would be a great idea if I can save up the cash and but much of it towards a new car when I'm ready.
the airbag thing kinda scared me, but yah since I do wear my seat belt, it wouldn't be too bad, and I do know the seat belt works because when I go around tight corners kinda fast, I feel it resisiting, holding me back so that's a good sign.
Here's a smart little Prada number that, at $410, should fit right into the budget!



And when you scoot around corners, Chilly, your car isn't resisting. It's embracing. Mercedes' are quite huggable, you know.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Digmenow is offline  
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Jessica90's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: Many
Location: NorCal
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
I don't like British cars. They make me think of bonnie, bonnie babies. Delightful to hold, even MORE delightful to give back.

As was said before, (with respect to Jaguars)to get the sense of what it is like to OWN a British car, drive one of them at night in the rain, with the windshield wipers off and the headlights off.

And don't forget to leave ALL the windows rolled down.

Then, every time you come to a stop light or a stop sign, throw a $20 bill out the window.

That is the ownership experience of one defined.

My friend bought a marvelous 1989 Rolls Royce Silver Spur about a year ago.
Smoking deal, $17k for a car worth about $31k

A hubcap dropped off on the Bay bridge to San Francisco on the way back from the PPI and a car ran over it imediately and squashed it. He refused to buy it unless it was replaced. They called Rolls Royce parts who told them it cost $1000 for a new hubcap. Found some on ebay for $500

After a year he told me he spent $14,000 in repairs; his wife told me it was $15,000. And it needs more work.

Some bargain that turned out to be. Not to mention the garage he had built to park it in.

But I got to drive it, an YAH, it is glorious, and YAH it sure gets the looks.

But you have to park far away from other cars less wee heavies draw envy lines on it with bricks.

RR?

Nien, danke

If you have a Mercedes, keep it. They are safe. 120k is nothing. My car has 119k and it runs just fine.
Ouch that sucks, kinda reminds me of the 1996 740iL I owned. Bought from the original owner in Los Angeles. Had about 80k miles. On the next day, on the way back home (400 miles), half way thorugh the trip, the car started over heating.

Took the car the following day to my mechanic to get things checked out and there were a few major problems in the car; transmission leak, cooling problems, etc...

Put the car up for sale, couldn't sell it for what I wanted. I bought an aftermarket warranty and it covered over $8k in repairs/replacements (engine being one of them). Owner was a woman btw, maybe that explains why the car wasn't maintained well enough lol.

I had lots of patience with the car and in the end it was well worth it. It was literally perfect. The new owner is very lucky (sold the car 2 months ago.)


We actually have a 06 Range Rover Sport blk/blk in my family, I like the car. Never let us down yet. It has maybe 18k or 19k miles.


|2007+ MB Key|35% Tint|Lowered|Mesh Grill|Clear Side Lights|8000k HIDs|Resonator Delete|Exhaust|

Last edited by Jessica90; 10-01-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Jessica90 is offline  
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
chill_babe's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: C230
Location: St. Louis =P
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Here's a smart little Prada number that, at $410, should fit right into the budget!



And when you scoot around corners, Chilly, your car isn't resisting. It's embracing. Mercedes' are quite huggable, you know.
I gotta resist the designer label temptation...my Dior shades are about the only thing I like to flaunt, oh that and my bebe clothes But I must not spend my money but yet save it for something I actually need, ya never know what could happen tomorrow, so I'm getting better at my money habits

as for the seat belt, ahhh I see, silly me hehe I love going fast around corners!
chill_babe is offline  
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
worst mod in BW history
 
ThrillKill's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Location: Chicago
Posts: 27,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill_babe View Post
it's not yucky, it's in nice condition but I don't want to run into any expensive maintenance since it does have 120 miles on it. so that's why I'm asking you guys because you know best about MB's.

so you want an Escalade? nice, I want a Range Rover Sport SE all black
Drive it till it dies. You won't be paying for expensive maintenance btw, just expensive repairs. The C is a solid car though and without even heeding to the Oil Change Nazis,you should be fine.

One thing to consider, as an insurance rep (if travel is included) you can lease a brand new one and deduct a sizable portion of the monthly payments.

ThrillKill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Keeping clean... Gta255 Detailing and Car Care 8 06-22-2006 11:05 AM
    Keeping up with France Botnst Off-Topic 17 04-03-2006 02:33 AM
    Keeping it Clean Dallas_E500 W211 E-Class 5 02-28-2006 11:50 PM
    Keeping new Benz clean during winter new230 Detailing and Car Care 2 02-28-2005 02:27 AM
    how long are you keeping your ml dreamer W163 M-Class 16 10-02-2003 03:08 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome