Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
What I Love About Democrat Debates

Watch as Gravel attempts to become relevant by taking a shit on Hillary and Obama, et al. Soon there'll be nothing left!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 03:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Gravel is the Democrat's side of the coin that has the Republican Ron Paul on the other side. I tend to like Ron Paul's approach better, but I think Gravel figures he is not going to win, so why not just tell it how he sees it?

I supported Hillary's account of how she got duped by Bush into supporting the Congressional Resolution allowing Bush to wage his misguided war in Iraq, but now find it to be no more than a disgusting game of politics with our troops and the Iraqi people the pawns in her game. How the hell can she expect anyone to believe her ever again? She voted for a bullshit, foot stomping resolution for Bush to throw in the face of "I'madinnerjacket" from Iran, once again supporting his war preparations. She lost me with that and I find Obama's lack of interest in his real job at the moment, being a voting member of Congress, equally disturbing. More Democrats need to get wound up and spit in Clinton and Obama's faces over this shit.

As for the rest of his points, I agree with them. I am not sure I buy switching wholesale to wind power, but the point is, if we want to change our energy infrastructure to use a renewable source, we need to get on the stick and do it! Fund it with energy taxes or other disincentives to continue using the same old same old.

I didn't hear Clinton or Obama's responses, but I imagine there was a lack of vision and a reliance on the same old same old presented as the most practical solution. I can't imagine how anyone believes sending money to the Middle East for oil if you don't have to is practical. We have the technology to make a greater deal of our reliance on Middle East oil in the next ten years and thereafter no more than a choice we make. Nothing will replace oil wholesale, but many other competing technologies will make the availability less risky and more peaceful.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Ignoring Gravel's role in this discussion, I was kind of disappointed there was no specific discussion of Clinton and Obama participation in the vote to give the first inch to Bush in his crusade against Iran. I am not going to be able to vote for either of these people - Clinton just because she is no longer believable, much the way George W. Bush is no longer believable and Obama because he is becoming deceptive and that makes him no longer believable. Both need to explain themselves on this particular issue and quit being smug. Jim
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Always Remembered RIP
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Just a feeling, but I would bet the reason Hillary leads in fund raising is that the agenda driven corporate donors think the smart money will be going her way and they will need to be on the Hillary bandwagon.

She will be indebted to them forever if she is not already. Please someone say I am wrong.

<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Clinton seems to paying her respects at the altar of Halliburton/KBR in her support of the Bush agenda to invade Iran using similarly flimsy evidence, so I suspect you are right on with that assessment, cascade. I just don't get the lack of an uproar about this. Jim
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: