Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
"I liken today's baseball to WWE's smackdown"
WWE is entertainment. That's what makes people watch. No one will watch WWE if they put a bunch of 120 lb pussies in the ring and throw chairs at each other. There are 'wrestlers' that truly hate each other and will beat the living shit out of each other in the ring. Not all WWE is fake, just most of it.

Now, why I liken baseball and many other sports, for that matter, to WWE is that if they put people on the field who just liked to play, that doesn't guarantee an entertainment value for the fan. They'll bobble the ball and swing at dirt balls, run slow and slide in to second whilst the throw to get him out sails out in center field. So, they have to pay several million dollars per year to get players who are gifted and play to win but not necessarily for the love of the game. This, in itself, causes a game to be tainted with all kinds of possibilities that threaten it's 'purity'. Performance enhancing drugs and 'rigging' games, which Pete Rose undoubtedly probably did threatens baseball to the point that the commissioner is going to have to take action, not only against Rose (which they did), but with steroid use, to ensure that former fans like me will come back to the game. Henry Hank Aaron and The Babe set records the old fashioned way. Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire set them by using performance enhancing drugs. I have no respect for what they've done and they have disrespected the sport- big time. Not all ball games are rigged. As a matter of fact, most are not. But you'd be naive to think that games aren't rigged from time to time. Hell, steroid use is 'rigging' and I know all players don't do it. It's my hope that this is thrashed out, the offenders punished and the game is returned to the fans.

It's obvious you hold a high esteem for the game and my opinions were not intended for you to take as a personal insult, tho I admit I did intend to strike a nerve.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
It's obvious you hold a high esteem for the game and my opinions were not intended for you to take as a personal insult, tho I admit I did intend to strike a nerve.
If there is one defining aspect of the WWE, it is that those events are entirely scripted. To me, any comparison to the WWE is nothing other than a suggestion that the action is scripted and the outcomes are entirely predetermined. Obviously, I disagree. The only reason steroid use gets so much more ink in baseball than other sports is that baseball is all about statistics, and steroid use actually taints statistics more than the game itself.

Call me naive then -- I don't think any of the games are rigged. Why would they be? Where is the incentive for a ballplayer earning $3 million/year to boot a ground ball or serve up a fat pitch at an opportune time? I've known several professional ballplayers in my life (A & AA where the money isn't so great -- probably could have played A ball myself) and believe all would be dumbfounded by your suggestion.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't have anything against you personally CMitch, and I know better than to argue with a bonafide coon ass, but with all due respect you're completely full of shit. Go back to watching College Football and WWE, as those are more in-line with your desire/mental capacity for rapid-fire, no-brains-required entertainment.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mitch, why would any team intentionally blow a 7-game lead into annals of humiliation?

you got me once, but I still think your strong opinions are getting rather tiresome.

anyways, this just in:

NIH has just announced a new sign for universal sign of choking:

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
That was pretty sad. I hope all those guys are filthy rich now.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 09:43 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a better idea, Jakarta Expat. If you don't like the subject of my threads, ignore them and stop infusing them with your little crybaby bullshit.
Extremely original for a mind like yours. What did you parents name you and your brother, Pete & Repeat? Which one are you? No No don't tell me, Repeat.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 09:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Extremely original for a mind like yours. What did you parents name you and your brother, Pete & Repeat? Which one are you? No No don't tell me, Repeat.
you're thinking Ron and Rerun.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This just in.

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Good luck with the Yankees -- they've been awful tough on you guys.
That's the truth. Sports Illustrated, at the beginning of the season, predicted the Tribe would win AL Central and then be eliminated by the Yanks. We'll have to have a great series to get past them.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Well you have home field advantage, that outta count for something, and neither team is heading into the playoffs with any spectacular momentum. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It's always fun to see the Yanks get bounced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in