the beauty of Gun ownership (2nd amendment - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 09:54 PM
worst mod in BW history
 
ThrillKill's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Location: Chicago
Posts: 27,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I own firearms for the simple reason that it is MY responsibility to take care of myself and my family. Many areas of this [and other] countries don't have need to carry or actively keep loaded weapons handy, others do.

I simply prefer to accept the responsibility for my safety. It is not based on fear, it is based on simple Boy Scouts principles...Be Prepared. At this time, I have that right. If the right were abridged, I would address that point at the time.

While I have a concealed carry permit, I have not carried in years unless I am in the mountains hiking or traveling through unknown areas [and then I keep the weapon in the car glove box]. I taught CC classes and strongly urged most of the folks in class to leave before they continued as they were there for the wrong reasons.

Many like to cite statistics about the number of deaths/population in the US and show how the US is so violent. The numbers are somewhat misleading as they are skewed to high density urban areas which have more gun/knife/baseballbat/skillet killings per capita than the very vast majority of this country which has the majority of firearms and minimal violence.

In Kentucky [considered one of the more Redneck, dangerous states by many], there are more firearms per capita than nearly any other state BUT our death/wounding rate is much less because the lack of violence. In the 15 or so years that the Concealed Carry Permit process has been legal in Kentucky, not one murder/manslaughter has been committed by a holder of the permit.

Also the number of weapons per person is a wildly misplaced number. Statistics would suggest that there are 270 Million Guns for our 300 Million people, or realistically nearly one gun per person. That would be OK but many gun owners, in fact MOST gun owners have multiple guns. Why, why not.

I have six watches. I need one. I have 12 cars. I need three [I REALLY got to sell some cars] I have 10 firearms. Logic says I need four [home, car, USPSA Practical Competition Shooting, Silhouette target shooting]. OK, maybe FOUR cars.

Point is, many firearms are in the hands of collectors who make up a large number of the weapons in this country. It is not the "everybody has a gun" place that some like to make it.

People have weapons for many reasons. Protection, security, hunting, hobby, collection, BECAUSE, fear, nefarious. It is one of those CHOICE things. Don't want a gun, don't get one. I only know of two people who bought guns out of fear. Both sold them after the fear went away. Nice part is, for the time being it is everyone's right. It is their privilege and their responsibility.

99.9% of gun owners the the US take that responsibility seriously and have never fired a gun in anger or fear. That is the statistic that needs much more media.
Couldn't you just beat them down with a mess kit? The pre-aluminum ones of course.

ThrillKill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Always Remembered RIP
 
cascade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Location: Grass Valley, N. Calif. / Gardnerville, Nevada
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
I don't understand why the military won't let me buy a surplus Phantom II, or F-15, with a full compliment of armnament. I mean, the way I read the second ammendment, I have the right to bear arms. Who decided that meant peashooter guns? It is the right to bear arms and it was intended to make it so a local militia could defend the country against aggressors and the like. Today peashooters won't get the job done. We need the general population that can afford real arms to buy them to defend the country now that our armed forces paid for by our taxes on everyone are depleted and worn out fixing shit in Iraq. I want a freaking hangar full of really big and destructive shit, because it is my right by the second ammendment to bear arms. Jim
Yeah. Unassailable logic. It is fun to blow $hit up. Every six year old kid knows that. Hey why can't six year olds have as many guns as they want?

Fuck paint ball guns. Need the real thing.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.


"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
cascade is offline  
post #43 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Couldn't you just beat them down with a mess kit? The pre-aluminum ones of course.
I suppose it would depend on who "they" are.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #44 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 7,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
Doesn't matter what any of you say, think, or post, to the contrary. It's plainly obvious what the founding fathers of this great country intended. That is, that the common man would have available the means to defend himself, personally, from all enemies, foreign, or domestic. There is no reasonable arguement to remove the right keep and bear arms from the general population. Restrictive gun control laws have proven themselves to be counter-productive to reducing crime.
You know I've stated in a number of threads that I'm pro gun ownership with reasonable restrictions and licensing of owners.

What I do not accept is the notion that for any nation to be free it needs to have an armed population, that’s ridiculous all that happens then is you end up with a situation like the US where people carry simply because the criminals carry and how did the criminals get weapons? Through lax gun control laws what you end up with is an urban arms race based on fear among the general population.

Here the police have access to guns but don't carry, I feel safe on the streets in my city at all times of the day and I feel no need to carry weapons, I have enough faith in my political leadership and our checks and balances to not need to stockpile arms to possibly fight my own government, that type of paranoia is IMO a symptom of a nation of hypocrisy: The US is such a free country where the government serves the people yet the people feel the need to arm themselves to such a degree and they fear the government they elect and even with all the checks and balances that are present there is still a reasonable possibility that their government may turn on them.

And even if the government did be it state of federal level the national guard or federal army would wipe out any resistance so arming to protect from the government is just not practical as you don't have access to that kind of hardware so what are you trying to prove?

The fact is that with a decent police force that’s more interested in community policing rather than carrying out a political sideshow called the war on terror you don't need to live in constant fear like you do, and if your not afraid why own a gun that’s to be used in any other than a recreational sense? Because it's in the constitution? You’re not seriously going to tell me that you purchased simply because some arcane post colonial document that was written when California was owned by Spain and the Midwest by France when the world was so different from what it is now said so?

There is no argument for the fact that gun ownership makes you enjoy your freedom more as the original poster inferred, I'd only carry a gun for protection if I thought I'd have to use it and because I don't feel I have to use it I feel much more free than anyone who would live in enough fear to feel the need to be armed in their own home.
NZ Benz is offline  
post #45 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Always Remembered RIP
 
cascade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Location: Grass Valley, N. Calif. / Gardnerville, Nevada
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
"You can't hug your kids with nuclear arms". So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
Doesn't matter what any of you say, think, or post, to the contrary. It's plainly obvious what the founding fathers of this great country intended. That is, that the common man would have available the means to defend himself, personally, from all enemies, foreign, or domestic. There is no reasonable arguement to remove the right keep and bear arms from the general population. Restrictive gun control laws have proven themselves to be counter-productive to reducing crime.
Doesn't take very much to get the gun nuts worked up in a lather.

Define "arms". Give reasons why nuclear arms should not be included within that definition.

And why I should not, for example be able to blow away with an AK47 someone like, well, let's say, for the sake of argument, Fast55, or Bruce R., if they should happen to look at me "funny" and they are consequently perceived by me, to be an "enemy, foreign or domestic"

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.


"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
cascade is offline  
post #46 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
Yeah. Unassailable logic. It is fun to blow $hit up. Every six year old kid knows that. Hey why can't six year olds have as many guns as they want?

Fuck paint ball guns. Need the real thing.
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Actually the point is the second ammendment says jack shit about guns. It says something about the right to bear arms. Gun nuts says that means they can have all the fucking guns they might want. I say there is nothing that limits this unasssailable right to bear arms to guns in the second ammendment. And if this right is so fundamental to the fabric of American freedom and our very existence, I want to exercise that right to the fullest. I want really bad ass arms to bear. Like supersonic jets, MIRV'd missiles and a retiring SSN688 Class submarine. THOSE are arms to protect the country with. Fucking assault rifles and other chickenshit guns are not going to work against terrorist WMDs. Our citizens need serious arms these days. And the collateral benefits of moron citizens owning such stuff is population control.

Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #47 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 PM
worst mod in BW history
 
ThrillKill's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Location: Chicago
Posts: 27,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I suppose it would depend on who "they" are.
Revolting Webelos.

ThrillKill is offline  
post #48 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Always Remembered RIP
 
cascade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Location: Grass Valley, N. Calif. / Gardnerville, Nevada
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
You know I've stated in a number of threads that I'm pro gun ownership with reasonable restrictions and licensing of owners.

What I do not accept is the notion that for any nation to be free it needs to have an armed population, that’s ridiculous all that happens then is you end up with a situation like the US where people carry simply because the criminals carry and how did the criminals get weapons? Through lax gun control laws what you end up with is an urban arms race based on fear among the general population.

Here the police have access to guns but don't carry, I feel safe on the streets in my city at all times of the day and I feel no need to carry weapons, I have enough faith in my political leadership and our checks and balances to not need to stockpile arms to possibly fight my own government, that type of paranoia is IMO a symptom of a nation of hypocrisy: The US is such a free country where the government serves the people yet the people feel the need to arm themselves to such a degree and they fear the government they elect and even with all the checks and balances that are present there is still a reasonable possibility that their government may turn on them.

And even if the government did be it state of federal level the national guard or federal army would wipe out any resistance so arming to protect from the government is just not practical as you don't have access to that kind of hardware so what are you trying to prove?

The fact is that with a decent police force that’s more interested in community policing rather than carrying out a political sideshow called the war on terror you don't need to live in constant fear like you do, and if your not afraid why own a gun that’s to be used in any other than a recreational sense? Because it's in the constitution? You’re not seriously going to tell me that you purchased simply because some arcane post colonial document that was written when California was owned by Spain and the Midwest by France when the world was so different from what it is now said so?

There is no argument for the fact that gun ownership makes you enjoy your freedom more as the original poster inferred, I'd only carry a gun for protection if I thought I'd have to use it and because I don't feel I have to use it I feel much more free than anyone who would live in enough fear to feel the need to be armed in their own home.
Well said.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.


"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
cascade is offline  
post #49 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 7,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
Doesn't take very much to get the gun nuts worked up in a lather.

Define "arms". Give reasons why nuclear arms should not be included within that definition.

And why I should not, for example be able to blow away with an AK47 someone like, well, let's say, for the sake of argument, Fast55, or Bruce R., if they should happen to look at me "funny" and they are consequently perceived by me, to be an "enemy, foreign or domestic"
Well I think there is a very good reason the British Empire did away with the custom of dueling people were getting iced because of bumping into someone on the street.
NZ Benz is offline  
post #50 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Always Remembered RIP
 
cascade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Location: Grass Valley, N. Calif. / Gardnerville, Nevada
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Actually the point is the second ammendment says jack shit about guns. It says something about the right to bear arms. Gun nuts says that means they can have all the fucking guns they might want. I say there is nothing that limits this unasssailable right to bear arms to guns in the second ammendment. And if this right is so fundamental to the fabric of American freedom and our very existence, I want to exercise that right to the fullest. I want really bad ass arms to bear. Like supersonic jets, MIRV'd missiles and a retiring SSN688 Class submarine. THOSE are arms to protect the country with. Fucking assault rifles and other chickenshit guns are not going to work against terrorist WMDs. Our citizens need serious arms these days. And the collateral benefits of moron citizens owning such stuff is population control.

Jim
I would love to hear what the pious, sanctimonious, programmed response of Fast55 and Bruce R. would be to that.

"I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning......or ......Happiness is a warm gun. ....Either one works for me".

~~~Bruce R.


Jeezus H. Christ in a Men's Warehouse suit.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.


"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 09-20-2007 at 10:32 PM.
cascade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    5th Amendment Abolished...?? Qubes Off-Topic 111 07-24-2007 05:41 PM
    Blind Texas Gun Laws- Would you pickup a gun and hunt if you were blind? Jakarta Expat Off-Topic 7 12-13-2006 12:59 PM
    first amendment right? azimuth Off-Topic 37 05-29-2005 01:58 PM
    First Amendment No Big Deal, Students Say GeeS Off-Topic 21 02-02-2005 10:20 PM
    Just got my 2nd SLK32 or How replacing fog lamp bulb got me a free 2nd car! Rick G. R170 SLK-Class 21 12-11-2001 10:58 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome