Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0
what are they and how do they work?
http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/...bits/frenchtop
A French Top is a fairly popular commercial cooking set-up, but until recently was not seen in home appliances. Now, there are a few companies offering it, although you never know how similar it will be to an actual commercial version. A French Top is typically a 24" x 24" area on the range top that is made from a heavy flat smooth steel plate with a high powered gas burner located in the center, but underneath the surface. (similar to the way a teppan-yaki griddle is made) The top also has a couple of unique features. Usually a 8" to 9" round plate section directly over the burner is removable. Then there could be 1 to 3 additional ring plates that, if removed, would enlarge the central opening. The idea of the French Top is that when all the plates are in place, you have a flat surface to move cookware around on, with high heat in the center gradually cooling off as you move further away. This can be great for controlling temperatures in several pans all together on one large flat surface. The removable plates offer you the option of having the flame contact the cookware. Remove the center plate (1) for 9" to 10" pots, the next ring (2) for 12" cookware and possibly another (3) for up to 16" cookware.

In French cooking where several sauces are the focal point of the cuisine, the French Top cooking surface is very efficient and utilitarian, especially in a fast paced restaurant environment. In a home, you would need to decide if having 4 open burners is a better use of the space for your style of cooking. However, the French Top is becoming available more often and is worth looking into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Got it. Thanks.

I guess the usefulness of FT depends on what type of cooking one tends to do the most. If keeping multiple sauces warm without drying them out, especially egg-based ones, then it could be indispensable. Though I'm tempted, I'm more of a one-skillet, 30-min cooker and knowing myself, I don't have the attention span to spend the whole afternoon in the kitchen so I don't think it's for me.

there's a good discussion on the subject matter here:

French Top, worthwhile feature on a range? - Appliances Forum - GardenWeb

*do you notice how contentious it gets between the lines but how civil the posters remain throughout? And the concluding post that is the model of levelheadedness? That definitely does not happen here

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Select Appliance - Do you know What a French Top is?
A French Top is a fairly popular commercial cooking set-up, but until recently was not seen in home appliances. Now, there are a few companies offering it, although you never know how similar it will be to an actual commercial version. A French Top is typically a 24" x 24" area on the range top that is made from a heavy flat smooth steel plate with a high powered gas burner located in the center, but underneath the surface. (similar to the way a teppan-yaki griddle is made) The top also has a couple of unique features. Usually a 8" to 9" round plate section directly over the burner is removable. Then there could be 1 to 3 additional ring plates that, if removed, would enlarge the central opening. The idea of the French Top is that when all the plates are in place, you have a flat surface to move cookware around on, with high heat in the center gradually cooling off as you move further away. This can be great for controlling temperatures in several pans all together on one large flat surface. The removable plates offer you the option of having the flame contact the cookware. Remove the center plate (1) for 9" to 10" pots, the next ring (2) for 12" cookware and possibly another (3) for up to 16" cookware.

In French cooking where several sauces are the focal point of the cuisine, the French Top cooking surface is very efficient and utilitarian, especially in a fast paced restaurant environment. In a home, you would need to decide if having 4 open burners is a better use of the space for your style of cooking. However, the French Top is becoming available more often and is worth looking into.

I had one in my first joint for making stocks. The side plate kept cracking. First the sales rep came out and said this rarely ever happens but replaced it none the less. The second time he came out with one of the guys in manufacturing, they scratched their heads to no avail and replaced the top once more.
I later found out one of the cooks was pouring ice over it at the end of the night to expedite clean up and that bringing the temperature from around 600 degrees to 0 in a matter of seconds is not good for pig iron.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I love our Chambers that came with the house and I also found its user manual. It dates from the late 40's and works as if new. The enamel paint is flawless and the plumbing is excellent. The interior is easy to clean and not a spec of rust anywhere. The burners are excellent and have a pilot light but the oven doesn't which is the only drawback.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:22 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
The burners are excellent and have a pilot light but the oven doesn't which is the only drawback.

Many an eyebrow have been lost to such primitive technology. On the other hand, suicide is a breeze. No fuss or muss.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Many an eyebrow have been lost to such primitive technology. On the other hand, suicide is a breeze. No fuss or muss.
Why is it that only you can think of such horrible things? here kitty kitty...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0
Got it. Thanks.

I guess the usefulness of FT depends on what type of cooking one tends to do the most. If keeping multiple sauces warm without drying them out, especially egg-based ones, then it could be indispensable. Though I'm tempted, I'm more of a one-skillet, 30-min cooker and knowing myself, I don't have the attention span to spend the whole afternoon in the kitchen so I don't think it's for me.

there's a good discussion on the subject matter here:

French Top, worthwhile feature on a range? - Appliances Forum - GardenWeb

*do you notice how contentious it gets between the lines but how civil the posters remain throughout? And the concluding post that is the model of levelheadedness? That definitely does not happen here

That was an interesting thread. The guy who said restaurants are going away from them must deal with either smaller, or much more elite restaurants in a market where people follow one-another quite a bit. I know factually that the brand spanking new Ritz-Carlton Hotel and Condominiums in downtown Dallas, TX is replete with FT ranges. Their kitchen is absolutely amazing, and it's the worst looking space on the property.

Those with a photographic memory will recall that last season's "Hell's Kitchen" used FT ranges exclusively, as did Ramsay's restaurant "The F Word". Soooo...I guess not everyone needs or uses them, but I think it was silly of that poster to argue everyone's moving away from them.

I would agree that they're probably unnecessary for the home, which is why you can't really get an all-FT range for domestic use.

The thermos idea was pretty cool though...I'll have to remember that.

Last edited by Qubes; 09-20-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in