LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

heh, heh....not the latex type manufactured and adorned by FTL but the one that wraps around your car wheels....tyres! heh, SAAB 900 needed the front set of 205/55/16 WR replaced and I was quoted from £60 for the Budgets to £170 each for the known brands! If the speed rating and the specs are the same, why such a cost difference between the 'branded' and the 'unknowns'? heh, heh.....any rubber experts here? I eventually settled for the BF Goodrich....liked the tread pattern! heh, heh.......
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I wore a rubber suit last night for my dance routine; does that make me an expert?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You know those multi-multi million dollar sponsorships that Bridgestone, Goodyear and Michelin pay to F1, IRL, NASCAR, WRC, and other race series, you pay for those.

I have been recommending Kumho tires for hi performance cars for the past three or four years to my customers. The handle VERY well, are quiet, have equal speed ratings, wear much better than the Michelin Pilots, great in all seasons and are good at high speed. [I hear they have been tested on a 500E at 145 recently]. Oh yeah, they are about 40% of the cost. I can shoe a 500E or 300SEL with 175mph rated tires 245/40 17 for under $400 including tax, mounting speed balance, etc.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
heh, heh.........Yes. I have seem KUMHO advertised in motor mags but for some strange reason very few tyre joints stock them in the UK. Again, I reckon it is the maximum profit margin brands which are pushed to the consumer! heh, heh......the tyre joint owner did say that I am just paying extra for the 'name' as the product would perform no different to the 'Budget' tyres but he did say that the rubber compounds and the tread pattern do make a difference to the way the car handled in the dry/wet at speed! Well, my driving is mostly on normal roads and motorways so reckon the boots are ok for the purpose! heh, heh........your quoted cost for the 500/300 is most reasonable as that would only get you a single tyre from a RIP-OFF Merc Dealer in the UK!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: