Fed veteran Alan Greenspan lambasts George W Bush - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I believe that President Bush was pushing for what would be best for the United States, while most if not all MCs (R & D) were pushing for reelection. You may recall that there are no term limits for Congressmen but there is for the President...
I know you truly believe that but just because he did what HE thought was best is not good enough. He has to get the best experts in to actually DO what is best. What HE THINKS is not as important. That has been the hallmark failure of this administration. Bush appears guided by his personal thoughts instead of expert opinion. It failed his economics, foreign policy and Iraq policies. I am sure he is a good person but he is not a great thinker.

And as for reelection and term limits, I recall [apparently better than you] that most of his economic policies were defined in his FIRST term when he was up for reelection. So that did play into his decision making process.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Taxes are lower for SOME, not all. Middle class and lower got NO tax relief.

Yes, any idiot can, but established economic guidelines have requirements to define what "better" is. Increase in GDP, moving out of recession, reduction of unemployment, reduction of National Debt. Those of concrete indicators of "better". So using those criteria, the PREVIOUS Administration, which reduced the National Debt, moved the country out of Bush1's recession, built the GDP to record levels [and record percentage gains], watched over market gains from 3000-12000 would be considered BETTER.

That is like reading a 10 year old trying to justify why he spray painted mom's car purple.

As I have said before, I agree that Greenspan contributed to the tech bubble, much like he contributed to the current housing bubble. I am not a fan of all his policies. But it was not Bush that righted the Market after the tech bubble, it was the global market.

Enron and NO were just blips in the big picture. Compared to the $5Trillion in Deficit Spending, they aren't even a drop in the bucket. The ramifications of that reckless spending is going to be with this economy for decades.
Hey, wait a minute... I think I saw the perfect answer to all of your gobbledygook on the wall outside my office...

Don't believe everything you think
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 04:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
Oh yeah, let me know when he gets paid Clinton like $$ for a speech I will fly in at my own expenses to witness that
Will do... drew

post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 04:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I know you truly believe that but just because he did what HE thought was best is not good enough. He has to get the best experts in to actually DO what is best. What HE THINKS is not as important. That has been the hallmark failure of this administration. Bush appears guided by his personal thoughts instead of expert opinion. It failed his economics, foreign policy and Iraq policies. I am sure he is a good person but he is not a great thinker.

And as for reelection and term limits, I recall [apparently better than you] that most of his economic policies were defined in his FIRST term when he was up for reelection. So that did play into his decision making process.
President Bush has not made a major move--socially, economically, militarily, politically, or any other 'way w/out significant input from the best experts available. But in the end he has relied on his own gut instincts as to the correct call on all matters affecting the American people. After all that IS what we elected him to do. And as far as your self-serving comments about his "self-serving decisions," I think his actual decision-making in years 3 and 4 of his first term belie your comments. If he were truly acting just to get re-elected he would have pulled out of Iraq in October of '04. You really need to get a new line of BS and a new LIFE.

post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
To paraphrase Shane,

^ Moron.
post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Hey, wait a minute... I think I saw the perfect answer to all of your gobbledygook on the wall outside my office...

So you couldn't decide between an apostrophe and a comma?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
President Bush has not made a major move--socially, economically, militarily, politically, or any other 'way w/out significant input from the best experts available. But in the end he has relied on his own gut instincts as to the correct call on all matters affecting the American people. After all that IS what we elected him to do. And as far as your self-serving comments about his "self-serving decisions," I think his actual decision-making in years 3 and 4 of his first term belie your comments. If he were truly acting just to get re-elected he would have pulled out of Iraq in October of '04. You really need to get a new line of BS and a new LIFE.
I have a great life, five hobbies, a bunch of friends with whom I can have intellectually stimulating conversation

I leave it to others to decide whether my observations are realistic or BS. BS appears to be the minority view but that is ok.

And as far as "in the end he has relied on his own gut instincts". His GUT SUCKS.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Presumably, Jaysquawk has neither watched Leslie Stahl's interview with Greenspan on 60 Minutes tonight, nor read his book in it's entirety.

I'd advise him against both - the vacuum created when he realizes how vastly and completely wrong he has been may create a small black hole, and he lives a little to close for my comfort.
post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Presumably, Jaysquawk has neither watched Leslie Stahl's interview with Greenspan on 60 Minutes tonight, nor read his book in it's entirety.

I'd advise him against both - the vacuum created when he realizes how vastly and completely wrong he has been may create a small black hole, and he lives a little to close for my comfort.
Well, the book comes out tomorrow. I am guessing J won't be in line for an autographed copy and since it doesn't have pictures...

I forgot all about the 60 Minutes interview. I was prepping the 500 for the paint booth and got behind. This appears to be the project that won't die.

We decided to remove all those little stress lines that are in all sheet metal that gets stamped [like around the door handles] and causes reflections to wrinkle when the paint is mirror clear. So we took a 20 hour job and made it a 60 hour job but the results will be worth it.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Besides, the faith of political ideologues is rarely shaken by facts or logic...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in