post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
If it Happens Here, It's News to Us.

Interesting look at who is reading news from where on the net. Experian [parent of Hitwise is pretty much state of the art in this biz]. Interesting that the NYTimes site is the only one that is subscription for much of its content yet still keeps up with the freebies.

Top 10 News and Media Category Websites Ranked By US Market Share of Visits

Note - the Hitwise data featured is based on US market share of visits, which is the percentage of online traffic to the domain or category, from the Hitwise sample of 10 million US Internet users. Hitwise ranks over 1 million unique websites on a daily basis, including subdomains of larger websites. Hitwise categorizes websites into industries on the basis of subject matter and content, as well as market orientation and competitive context. These rankings are based on individual urls and not network aggregations of websites.

*The market share of visits percentage for weather.com, cnn.com and nytimes.com does not include traffic to sub domains of these
websites which are reported on separately.

Source: Hitwise

Rank Website Domain Market Share 09/01

1. Yahoo! News news.yahoo.com 8.57%
2. The Weather Channel - US 3.78%
3. CNN.com 3.66%
4. MSNBC 3.66%
5. Google News 1.90%
6. Drudge Report 1.52%
7. Fox News 1.45%
8. New York Times 1.41%
9. People Magazine 1.40%
10. Yahoo! Weather 1.37%

http://www.drudgereport.com/hit.pdf

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Msnbc is the best news on the Web, I wish they could translate it to their stupid TV channel.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:12 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I read somewhere that the BBC website is in the top five visited across the world. Can't remember where I saw it though, sorry.

(Perhaps it was the BBC!)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
I read somewhere that the BBC website is in the top five visited across the world. Can't remember where I saw it though, sorry.

(Perhaps it was the BBC!)
I think Auntie must be one of the best for news. It is the first I read every morning. Of course I have been listening to the beeb since the mid sixties.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Edinburgh, East and Fife | Boy racer crackdown nets hundreds

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
9 out of 10 Conspiracy Theorists just updated their blog...

Published on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 by Editor & Publisher

Two of Seven Soldiers Who Wrote ‘NYT’ Op-Ed Die in Iraq

by Greg Mitchell

NEW YORK — The Op-Ed by seven active duty U.S. soldiers in Iraq questioning the war drew international attention just three weeks ago. Now two of the seven are dead.

Sgt. Omar Mora and Sgt. Yance T. Gray died Monday in a vehicle accident in western Baghdad, two of seven U.S. troops killed in the incident which was reported just as Gen. David Petraeus was about to report to Congress on progress in the “surge.” The names have just been released.

Gen. Petraeus was questioned about the message of the op-ed in testimony before a Senate committee yesterday.

The controversial Times column on Aug. 19 was called “The War As We Saw It,” and expressed skepticism about American gains in Iraq. “To believe that Americans, with an occupying force that long ago outlived its reluctant welcome, can win over a recalcitrant local population and win this counterinsurgency is far-fetched,” the group wrote.

It closed: “We need not talk about our morale. As committed soldiers, we will see this mission through.”

Mora, 28, hailed from Texas City, Texas, and was a native of Ecuador, who had just become a U.S. citizen. He was due to leave Iraq in November and leaves behind a wife and daughter. Gray, 26, had lived in Ismay, Montana, and is also survived by a wife and infant daughter.

The accident in Iraq occurred when a cargo truck the men were riding in overturned.

The Daily News in Galveston interviewed Mora’s mother, who confirmed his death and that he was one of the co-authors of the Times piece. The article today relates: “Olga Capetillo said that by the time Mora submitted the editorial, he had grown increasingly depressed. ‘I told him God is going to take care of him and take him home,’ she said. ‘But yesterday is the darkest day for me.’”

One of the other five authors of the Times piece, Staff Sergeant Jeremy Murphy, an Army Ranger and reconnaissance team leader, was shot in the head while the article was being written. He was expected to survive after being flown to a military hospital in the United States.

© 2007 Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in