Originally Posted by JimSmith
Seems you are struggling with the view - is the glass 90% full of horrendous decaying fecal matter that renders the other 10% regardless of what it might be, impossible to detect and worthless, or is it 10% full of worthwhile ideas and meaningful exchanges make the 90% of horrendous decaying fecal matter more endurable, like a passing fart? Or something like that.
Well, it is a bit like a community, and it takes all kinds or maybe just has all kinds - I won't make an argument whether all the types are necessary. I don't know if you will find it sufficiently stimulating to stay with the Dig-Lite persona based on what you get to retain after dealing with the unpleasant parts, but based on what you give, it would be greatly appreciated by some, well, at least one, member of the community if you retained the Dig-Lite persona.
There is the occasional topic or thread that brings out a very broad spectrum of thoughtful contributions. Ideas and perspectives are exchanged, much the way Cuban noted in a recent post, that can bring about a broader perspective to us all. That to me makes it worthwhile, as, the rotting fecal matter can be recognized as such and skimmed without really getting any on you, once you have been here for awhile.
So, I don't have any answers for you, really. Only answers for me, and from my perspective I would like to see more, not less of Dig Lite on this forum. Jim
Thank you for your answer, Jim.
I wanted to wait before replying to your post so that I could be sure that I had the benefit of a couple of days' distance to reflect on what you had to say. I recognize that my brain is wired a bit differently than those with a firm grasp on logic and the clear vision of their convictions. I've been told all my life to develop a 'hard nose'. The best I've been able to do, though, is to maintain the appearance of have said attribute. I have always been off center and not everyone gets that or enjoys it if they do. I don't think I'll ever change but I am sure that when the mood (or subject) strikes, I'll wade in and give it my best and take my lumps.
In this community, as you say, there are plenty of different personalities. Perhaps some of those will consent to continue to do the heavy lifting.
Meanwhile, I'll remain (as always)...