post #11 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:56 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
I'm perfectly content with my $450 Citizen Eco-Drive. There's so many fakes for high end watches, even if you own a real one, most people still think they're fakes.
Yeah, that is the point I was making earlier.

A client of mine bought one of those eco-drive Citizens when they first came out and I thought at the time what a nice looking piece it was. He has been very pleased with it from a functionality point of view too.

I'm thinking to buy one of those 'ultra luminous' deals, with the radio-active dials and hands in the next couple of months, just for a change, but I haven't decided which yet. Anyone else got one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I just paid a whopping $50 for a Fossil. When the battery on my last Fossil went dead, I just threw away the watch.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #13 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You're thinking of a new watch...Dan Dierdorf is thinking of a steak.

Dierdorf & Hart's
post #14 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210
I've always appreciated a good watch, but have never made the step up from Citizen and Seiko. Rolex seems a bit much (both from a cost standpoint as well as the "I have a Rolex and the rest of you can go **** yourselves" attitude) so I'm thinking about a Breitling. Any thoughts/comments either way? What others would you recommend?

This would be a daily wearer, so I'm not really interested in lots of showy diamonds, flashy jewelry dress styles, etc. or leather/alligator/etc. bands, more of a bracelet. I am generally fond of chrono-styles and a date is always a nice thing to have (both in watches and on a Friday night...). Colored dials are okay (my current Seiko is a chrono, stainless steel bracelet, charcoal face) as well, but I'm not into thick cases or huge watch faces, perhaps 1.5" around or so including the frame.

So.....jump in if you've a mind to, and thanks for the input.
I'm not a super-educated watch guy, but of the watches I see, I agree completely that the Breitling is a watch I'd wear.

That said, I'm kind of like Ron in that Fossil has enough different models that you can have a collection to match wardrobe without going into hock to do it. Bad things happen to watches you wear every day, and unless your income is based even loosely on what kind of watch you wear, I don't see the point other than "just to have one".

I'd rather have 5 - 10 different mid-price watches, that go with anything I'd need to wear, than one $5,000 watch that I cherish & treasure & fear wearing to work where it'll be scraped across my desk surface as I type, bumped into door jambs or counter tops, etc.
post #15 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
I just paid a whopping $50 for a Fossil. When the battery on my last Fossil went dead, I just threw away the watch.
The other day I went one better (or worse depending on your green credentials). My micro-balance needed new (obscure size) batteries so I bought an LED flashlight which came complete with them, removed the batteries and threw the rest away.

post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ Makes sense to me. I'm all about the path of least resistance.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:16 PM
~BANNED~

^^^^^

Yes, but it made me feel kinda dirty.
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
You don't need a watch

"You can always ask some a$$hole what time it is"

Someone told me that at Club Med, once.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:39 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Buy used and buy something that has good resale. Feed the sheep.
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 03:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heh, heh.......depends largely on aesthetics, comfort and personal preference for the 'energy' options: mechanical movement, quartz and solar energy. Swiss high end watches still maintain the mech. movements and are bloody accurate. Jap watches give all options like 'eco-drive', 'kinetic' and then there are the German and some others which are solar panel face with radio signal controlled time adjustment which are the most accurate. Problem with Quartz is that the battery goes every year or so and then the cost of replacing is almost &#163;50-&#163;80 in the UK! The eco/kinetics/solar are infinite energy negating unnecessary costs for battery replacements provided you keep them around in lit areas. Automatic movements are a pain because you have to constantly wear them. Nowadays there are the more 'sporty' types with the rubberised straps which are very comfy to wear. On the straps front options are the metal bracelets, leather and the rubber. Best is to go and "try" out all the ones you fancy - Breits tend to have a large diameter case and are heavy but if you have a chunky wrist then no problem. I have a small collection of all types but the most convenient one is the solar/radio (Junghans) which has never required any adjustment/replacement and is accurate to the second! heh, heh.........Good Luck in your choice and enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in