BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0
Careful what you wish for.

Nuclear Plant Misses Public Emergency Notification Deadline

FYI, I live within 10-mile radius of the plant and the administration's lack of transparency is a real concern for many of the residents in Westchester, Putnam and Rockland Counties, the three counties that are in immediate vicinity of this ailing plant run by incompetent boobs.
Yeah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0
Careful what you wish for.

Nuclear Plant Misses Public Emergency Notification Deadline

FYI, I live within 10-mile radius of the plant and the administration's lack of transparency is a real concern for many of the residents in Westchester, Putnam and Rockland Counties, the three counties that are in immediate vicinity of this ailing plant run by incompetent boobs.
Ah, Indian Point. I keep thinking that they will take that thing off line. When I lived in Dutchess we had three warnings in a 13 month period. I moved down to NYC which is away from prevailing winds [most of the time].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94
I know you were joking, but seriously, I would much rather have a nuclear power plant in my backyard than the coal burning plants that we still have and operate. Any one seen the Apalaycian(msp) mountains lately??
I still go hiking in the Appalachians about once a month [except during pot harvest season when a guy can get shot]. The deep mine coal has human costs with both black lung and 15-30 deaths a year due to ceiling falls. Then there is the runoff which turns the rivers black and kills pretty much everything down stream.

Stripmining is worse as they either top the mountains [takes about 25 years for nature to reclaim the area if it is replanted] or wall mine which blows the side off a mountain. Erosion everywhere.

Mining, however is pretty much the only employer in the area as timber is too hard to harvest on such steep craggy slopes. Not enough flat land for farming and minimal transportation for manufacturing. Hard decisions.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
The Anti-Nukes have ensured the nuclear power industry is unable to attract the necessary talent to operate and maintain these plants, much less design and build new ones. The US nuclear power industry is so close to dead there is no way any really talented engineering students over the last twenty years was inspired to seek employment there, leading to a really dangerously small gene pool of talent, a great deal of which is made up of losers who couldn't find a job in any other industry.

Nukes can be dangerous. This death by starvation of the industry is making nukes more dangerous than they should be. It is a real shame as the technology is very well understood and new materials and reactor designs show promise of being safer and more reliable.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in