post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
I'm beginning to think you don't like the guy.

Gonzalez lost my faith way back when he decided to try and answer the question about why the prosecutors were replaced instead of just stating they serve at the pleasure . . . showed me he didn't need to be performing on that stage.
Whether he served at the pleasure was never the issue. It is a conceded point. But under the COTUS, the Executive Branch is required to provide testimony as to why they did it. And the reason why they did it was to use the Justice Department as a political tool, to use prosecutions to sway elections under a strategy to paint the Democratic Party as the party of voter fraud, across the country. That is what they were trying to hide. It blew up in their faces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Like reliving the Watergate nightmare of '72 all over again

What an evil POS. AMF******

Son of immigrants who worked his way up and all that, but even the Latino advocacy groups aren't falling on their swords for this guy.

Doesn't this whole caper bring back to mind a nightmare reprise of that other wonderful AG, John Mitchell, from the Watergate days?

For once, I wouldn't mind if history replays itself, and like before the perfidious Erlichman/Haldeman/Colson gang, and then the President himself, resigns and flees the White House in disgrace, or forces Congress into finally, reluctantly unsheathing the Impeachment dagger.

Maybe some of those spineless Democrats, and Republicans will finally wise up, and realize the wrongdoing by this administration truly needs addressing and start issuing some well deserved subpoenas all over again.....

A threshold moment. I hope they step over.

An independent special prosecutor is REALLY needed.

It is about nothing less than the survival and success of our democratic process, regardless of how the party idealogues, right wing radio hosts, and Swiftboaters put a spin on it.

If Bush tries yet again to sneak a replacement for this guy via "temporary appointment" like has been tried before, with Bolton at the UN, I truly hope the Congress stonewalls it and refuses to confirm.

The balance of power has tipped WAY too far in favor of an over reaching executive. This is like Aurust 1974 all over again.

Would that the outcome be the same again, now.

*****Adios, Mother f***er.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 08-27-2007 at 11:39 AM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Gonzo and Rove have been Bush's Rat Squad since the 80's. Gonzo fell on his sword to protect Rove, just like Scooter did. He must have pictures of Gonzo fucking his mother or something.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Somehow this stuck in my mind:

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
I'm beginning to think you don't like the guy.

Gonzalez lost my faith way back when he decided to try and answer the question about why the prosecutors were replaced instead of just stating they serve at the pleasure . . . showed me he didn't need to be performing on that stage.
"At the pleasure of the President..." I don't see that phrase anywhere in the Constitution. I think it is a gross distortion of the concept of the relationship between the President and those he nominates for office who must subsequently be confirmed by the Senate. Unfortunately, Bush believed it and has perverse ideas of how a Justice Department appointee should pleasure him. Suggesting, by quoting that distorted representation of the relationship intended by the Constitution, that you believe Bush is correct to expect the Justice Department appointees confirmed by the Senate to pleasure him in any way he deems he needs to be pleasured or be fired without being required to justify the rationale for firing appointees confirmed by the Senate, to the Senate is participating in the perpetuation of this bit of bullshit.

Anyone failing to perform their job is subject to being fired, or should be. But pleasuring the President? I don't see that in the political appointee's job description for those who must be confirmed by the Senate in the Constitution and would think no one wants to drag this inaccurate impression out any longer. It is like getting a blow job and then making up bullshit stories around the circumstances to try to make the blow job seem like something else. Jim
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to agree with the President.
Gonzales' name was dragged through the mud because of political purposes......
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barberhauler
I have to agree with the President.
Gonzales' name was dragged through the mud because of political purposes......
Me too. But it was mud that Bush made with his politicizing of the 9-11 tragedy and his grab for power from a Congress that amounted to little more than an invalid from cocksucking. That would be Bush and company cock they were relentlessly sucking.

But, make no mistake, the mud was of Republican Party making, with Bush and his team providing the ingredients and the Republican Congress doing the mixing. Jim
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, that's what I meant. I just didn't want to type "cocksucking".....
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Geez, guys, I'm really not defending the guy, I said that, at that point, I concluded he was in over his head. And when I referred to serving at the pleasure, I was speaking of the prosecutors, not Gonzalez. The COTUS does say: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.
I don't think either party would want the ability to install their cronies to come under much scrutiny. Should a Dem win the white house, I fully expect some turnover in this and many functions the executive branch has had some control over, and I hope the Rep's would let them be. The better case would be that anyone doing a good job gets to stay, the best case is maybe the Senate reclaims their advice and consent rights over that particular section, I just don't see that happening.
To be clear, Gonzalez was a putz who had no clue how to play the game.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Alberto Gonzales was just doing as he was told. And that is nothing less than an obscenity in the form of a big wad of goo spit in the direction of the Constitution and the face of each and every American.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in