LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Kid hacks iPhone

A New Jersey teenager who hacked Apple's iPhone told CNBC that his main motivation for unlocking the device was that "it was fun."

"This was a good use of a summer," George Hotz, 17, said. "I became obsessed with unlocking this thing."

When Apple introduced the iPhone in July, it made the device available only on AT&T's wireless service, prompting widespread complaints among consumers. Hotz was able to unlock the device so that he can use it on T-Mobile's network.

T-Mobile is the only major U.S. carrier apart from AT&T that is compatible with the iPhone's cellular technology. Hotz's handiwork frees the most hyped cell phone ever for use on the networks of other carriers, including overseas ones.

Hotz -- who maintains he has done nothing illegal -- said he doesn't have anything against AT&T or Apple. "If it was really just about the AT&T, I wouldn't have done it," he said.

While the possibility of switching from AT&T to T-Mobile may not be a major development for U.S. consumers, it opens up the iPhone for use on the networks of overseas carriers.

The phone, which combines an innovative touch-screen interface with the media-playing abilities of the iPod, is sold only in the U.S.

Calls by the AP to AT&T for comment were not immediately returned.

The hack, which Hotz posted Thursday to his blog, is complicated and requires skill with both soldering and software. It takes about two hours to perform.

Since the details are public, it seems likely that a small industry may spring up to buy U.S. iPhones, unlock them and send them overseas.

"That's exactly, like, what I don't want," Hotz said. "I don't want people making money off this."

He said he wished he could make the instructions simpler, so users could modify the phones themselves.

"But that's the simplest I could make them," Hotz said.

The modification leaves the iPhone's many functions, including a built-in camera and the ability to access Wi-Fi networks, intact. The only thing that won't work is the 'visual voicemail' feature, which shows voice messages as if they were incoming e-mail.

Hotz collaborated online with four other people, two of them in Russia, to develop the unlocking process.

"Then there are two guys who I think are somewhere U.S.-side," Hotz said. He knows them only by their online handles.

Hotz begins undergraduate studies at the Rochester Institute of Technology this fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: Nice, Fast, Luxurious.
Premium Member
But of course, like almost everything else on eBay, it attracts jokers, fools, and others of that ilk.

Mi$ter Right.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

It does now. Running price is $99mln.

They are having fun.

The guy was hoping to recoup his summer efforts, and that's what he gets - jokers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The U.S. is one of the few Countries, where providers sell phones in locked mode.
Once you buy a phone from a U.S. provider, you can do with it as you wish and unlock.
Most Countries use GSM, and you buy multy system capable phones un locked.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 06:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
The U.S. is one of the few Countries, where providers sell phones in locked mode.
Once you buy a phone from a U.S. provider, you can do with it as you wish and unlock.
Most Countries use GSM, and you buy multy system capable phones un locked.

Rock on

iphonesimfree.com - Iphone Unlock Site - Home

No need to solder

Modz ... enjoy the difference. www.benzmodz.com
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroj
No need to know how it is done, no instructions.

Meanwhile ebay auction is back to a "reasonable" $50,000 bid.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Is anyone selling their hacked "iBrick" cheap yet?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '07 Alpine White BMW E90
wait. this isnt true. when iPhone came out, i went to RCS Experience in Manhattan, and they were selling the iPhone unlocked. cost 700$, but it was available. how would i know it worked? my friend bought it and it worked here in trinidad. i call BS

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemyster View Post
wait. this isnt true. when iPhone came out, i went to RCS Experience in Manhattan, and they were selling the iPhone unlocked. cost 700$, but it was available. how would i know it worked? my friend bought it and it worked here in trinidad. i call BS
Just make sure your friend does not do the recent upgrade that came out yesterday or it is locked again and only for usage with ATT

Altered iPhones Freeze Up

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 28 — Since the iPhone hit the market in June, tech-savvy owners of the phone have been busy messing with its insides, figuring out how to add unauthorized software and even “unlock” it for use on networks other than AT&T’s.
But the Web was filled Friday with complaints from people who had installed the latest iPhone software update, only to see all the fun little programs they had been adding to their iPhones disappear — or, still worse, see their phones freeze up entirely.

Should they have known better?

Since Monday, Apple officials have been warning iPhone owners that using unlocking software could cause the phone to become “permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed.” But in many cases those warnings went unheeded.

People who had unlocked their phones to use them with another carrier ran the greatest risk of, in techie terms, having them “bricked” — rendered about as useful as a brick. Most of those who committed the lesser transgression of installing programs not authorized by Apple simply had those programs wiped out.

People have created dozens of programs for the iPhone, ranging from the useless but entertaining (a virtual popcorn popper) to the decidedly practical (a screen-shot capture program).

But for anyone who upgrades the iPhone’s system software, a routine process that adds Apple’s latest fixes and improvements, those programs can no longer be used. The update has made the iPhone “almost impervious to any third-party hacks,” said Erica Sadun, a technical writer in Denver who has created more than a dozen programs for the iPhone, including the screen-shot program and a popular voice recorder.

Jennifer Bowcock, an Apple spokeswoman, said that when people went to update their software with their computer through iTunes, a warning appeared on the computer screen, making it clear that any unauthorized modifications to the iPhone software violated the agreement that people entered into when they bought the phone. “The inability to use your phone after making unauthorized modifications isn’t covered under the iPhone warranty” Ms. Bowcock said.

There were reports online that employees at Apple stores were reviving or replacing some dead iPhones. But Ms. Bowcock did not offer much hope to iPhone owners with problems: “If the damage was due to use of an unauthorized software application, voiding their warranty, they should purchase a new iPhone.”

Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, has said the company wanted to maintain control over the iPhone’s functions to protect carrier networks and to make sure the phone was not damaged.

Ms. Sadun said the community of people who write unsanctioned software for the phone knew the update was coming.

“We had about two weeks’ notice,” she said. Yet Ms. Sadun and others said they were surprised by the extremes to which Apple went to shut them down. “We tried to think well of Apple,” she said. “Denial is a very strong part of the human spirit.”

Until Friday morning, Ms. Sadun had a contract with the publishing firm Addison-Wesley to write a book about creating applications for the iPhone. After the news of Apple’s crackdown spread, she received a note from her editor that suggested that they think of a different topic.

It was not unexpected that Apple would try to stop people from unlocking the phones, as this threatened to cause problems for AT&T, Apple’s exclusive United States partner for the iPhone.

“I don’t blame them for fighting the unlocks,” said Brian Lam, editor of Gizmodo, a blog devoted to gadgets. “They are trying to make money, as a business. I get that.”

Still, he said, that disabling someone’s phone, “instead of just relocking it and to wipe out the apps, it seems like Apple is going way too far; I’d call it uncharacteristically evil.”

In some cases, the apparent punishment for installing unapproved software was harsh. Ross Good, a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, had added several programs, including one for instant messaging. After the upgrade, the phone went into a semifrozen state.

When Mr. Good called Apple, the reception was cool. “They said I put third-party software on my phone, and so it was my fault no matter what.”

Joel Robison, a systems network engineer near Seattle, said his phone stopped working immediately after he installed the upgrade. He said that when he took it to an Apple store, he was accused of having unlocked the phone. But he said that with the exception of one aborted attempt to install a piece of outside software, he had made no modifications to the phone.

“Their accusation was very damaging to my opinion of Apple’s service,” Mr. Robison said.

J. Noah Funderburg, an assistant dean at the University of Alabama School of Law in Tuscaloosa and a longtime Mac user, had little sympathy for iPhone hot-rodders.

“Anyone who hacks must know that they are taking certain risks,” Mr. Funderburg said. ”If they aren’t willing to assume the risks upfront — like a brick iPhone — then maybe they should not hack the device.

“We have a free marketplace,” he said. “Buy a product, including using it on the terms accompanying the purchase, or don’t buy it. And learn to live with not always getting everything you want.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/29/te...=1&oref=slogin

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 09-29-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in