Town Twinning - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Membership withdrawn by request
 
Von Vorschlag's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Location: the pale blue dot
Posts: 19,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Town Twinning

Town twinning is a concept whereby towns or cities in geographically and politically distinct areas are paired with the goal of fostering human contact and cultural links. In Europe, such pairs of towns are known as twin towns, friendship towns or partner towns; in North America and Australasia, the term sister cities is used for the same concept; and brother cities is the term in the former Soviet bloc. Sister cities often (though by no means always) have similar demographic and other characteristics. Sometimes, even larger areas enter into "twinning" agreements, such as that between the provinces of Hainan in China and Jeju in South Korea.

The concept can be likened to a scaled up version of a "pen pal" scheme, in which the "pals" are whole towns or cities. In practice, the twinning arrangements often lead to student exchange programs, as well as economic and cultural collaborations.

The lastest town to make this appointment is Baghdad soon to be twinned with Saigon .
Von Vorschlag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
shrimpton's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christchurch and Islamabad.......nah.
shrimpton is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Membership withdrawn by request
 
Von Vorschlag's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Location: the pale blue dot
Posts: 19,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Otautahi is twinned with Gansu Province China , kinda like cloud 9 being twinned with cuckooland , and it not about twinning shimpy it's about the other fine mess the US has got it's self into .
Von Vorschlag is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
shrimpton's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag
Otautahi is twinned with Gansu Province China , kinda like cloud 9 being twinned with cuckooland , and it not about twinning shimpy it's about the other fine mess the US has got it's self into .
Local elections are looming here - think I'll vote for anyone who opposed that Chinese twinning idea - the free steak knives have never arrived.
shrimpton is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
asianml's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 11,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag
Town twinning is a concept whereby towns or cities in geographically and politically distinct areas are paired with the goal of fostering human contact and cultural links. In Europe, such pairs of towns are known as twin towns, friendship towns or partner towns; in North America and Australasia, the term sister cities is used for the same concept; and brother cities is the term in the former Soviet bloc. Sister cities often (though by no means always) have similar demographic and other characteristics. Sometimes, even larger areas enter into "twinning" agreements, such as that between the provinces of Hainan in China and Jeju in South Korea.

The concept can be likened to a scaled up version of a "pen pal" scheme, in which the "pals" are whole towns or cities. In practice, the twinning arrangements often lead to student exchange programs, as well as economic and cultural collaborations.

The lastest town to make this appointment is Baghdad soon to be twinned with Saigon .
Fuck!!??
asianml is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
 
Digmenow's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 36,514
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Basra, Iraq and Yorktown, Virginia?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Digmenow is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Punjabi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Location: In Virtual Reality
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpton
Christchurch and Islamabad.......nah.
heh, heh...Christchurch and North Pole more apt! heh, heh......although North Pole would be the more exciting! heh, heh.........
Punjabi is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag
The lastest town to make this appointment is Baghdad soon to be twinned with Saigon .
golf clap

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Crawford TX and Bethlem England?

That is sometimes spelled Bedlam when you look it up.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Membership withdrawn by request
 
Von Vorschlag's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Location: the pale blue dot
Posts: 19,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Crawford TX and Bethlem England?

That is sometimes spelled Bedlam when you look it up.
Bethlem Royal Hospital (bĕth'ləm) , the oldest institution for the care and confinement of the mentally ill in England, and one of the oldest in Europe. A priory in 1247, the building was converted to its later usage c.1400. The hospital moved in 1675, in 1815, and to its present location near Croydon in 1930. The word bedlam, which is derived from the hospital's name, has long been applied to any place or scene of wild turmoil and confusion. Presently, Bethlem Royal Hospital is connected with the Univ. of London's Institute of Psychiatry, and is part of the Maudsley Hospital.

One of the frist things that caught my eye as I read , a town with a deep history of caring for the fallin , sweet . But I already know about Crawford it's world famous ...you got siren's that can turn a man into a toad
Von Vorschlag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Greetings from Indy! Look who's in town... masmole R171 SLK-Class 10 06-19-2005 12:38 PM
    It's Here! It's Here! But I'm outta town! LaSLK R171 SLK-Class 9 01-06-2005 04:57 AM
    new kid in town ajimsr W163 M-Class 1 05-14-2004 07:38 PM
    driving in town Guest (MBNZ) W210 E50 AMG, E55 AMG 1 04-06-2001 08:54 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome