Originally Posted by RNT
"Fox just has O Really and Company who has become, much like Rush, a caricature of a talk show host."
Fox has Hannity as well as Colmes, too. I have to admit I like Colmes, who knows how to fight for his point of view, unlike a lot of weenies on liberal forums.
BTW, why do you suppose the likes of Limbaugh, O'Reilly, and H and C, have such high viewer ratings?
First, you have to put “high viewer ratings” in perspective. If we take last night 8/22/07 as an example, here is a slice of ratings from the AC Nielsen Media Research Company.
CBS. Power of 10 - 10 Share
NBC Most Outrageous Moments - 7 Share
ABC According to Jim - 4 Share
Fox - 4 Share
CW America's Top Model - 3 Share
Fox O'Reilly - 2 Share
CNN Anampour - 2 Share
ION Mama's Family - 1 Share
That is a sample of 33% of the 8:00PM market. The other 67% of the Viewers are spread over the other 600 channels that are metered.
While it varies by the total number of viewers watching, a rule of thumb is 1 Share Point is about 850,000 viewers.
All my data is sourced through Nielsen Media Research overnights.
First from 8-9 p.m. was hit CBS game show Power of 10, at a 6.1/11 in the overnights. After seeing Drew Carey on Power of 10, I am now convinced he has what it takes to host CBS’ veteran The Price Is Right. Second in the hour were two repeat episodes of Most Outrageous Moments on NBC (avg. 4.9/ 8), two repeats of ABC’s According to Jim (avg. 3.0/ 5), which returns in midseason, and a repeat of America’s Next Top Model on the CW (1.5/ 3). In case anyone is interested, two repeats of Mama’s Family on ION TV (a personal addiction of mine) averaged a 0.6/ 1. Go Mama!
Source: Nielsen Media Research data
FOXNEWS O'REILLY 2,170,000
CNN AMANPOUR [9PM] 1,965,000
Television Ratings - TV Show News - Nielsen Ratings
Edit: Here is a Top 20 of Cable shows. Note the 8:00 slots.