Gosh darn stock market keeps going down. - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 09:27 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Guage, I wasn't going to mention it but I would have assumed that when you suggested a bet that you would have put your stake in this booming Bushie Economy, not something nice and safe like a CD or T-Note. Now I think a real bet would be if you decided to have someone put $1K in a T-Note and you put yours in an indexed account or Hedge Fund index for the same time, that way you would also be putting your money where your mouth is on the Bushie Charge and Spend economy.

I will be happy to referee the bet and chart it monthly.

I really don't give a rats ass what we put the money into, either way I'm going to win it.
That's exactly why the chicken is bumping his gums, but doesn't have the balls to put up some cash. That is why I also want to involve a lawyer, makes it legal for one of us to collect in ten years.
I'm totally serious, obviously the hack is not.

I will not be seeking employment in Mexico in ten years.

PS
My money is still invested in the market, damn glad I didn't take it out last June, but thanks for the tip anyways.

Last edited by guage; 08-18-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
PS
My money is still invested in the market, damn glad I didn't take it out last June, but thanks for the tip anyways.
No one ever said take your money OUT of the market, just pay real close attention to it as the market is very volatile when stocks outrun foundation.

Now, as we approach October, I fully intend to take as much out of this market as possible as I believe it will be a very rough October and I want to have as much of my money on the sidelines as possible at that time. The steam appears to be blowing out of this market and folks seem to be starting to see the cracks in the foundation. October 1 is my dropdeadline.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
9120, another bad day and it goes under 9,000 into my "buy back in" territory. Can this market find a bottom?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:48 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
9120, another bad day and it goes under 9,000 into my "buy back in" territory. Can this market find a bottom?
There is resistance. Just filter out the crap you hear in the media; it really is buy time or the beginning of it at least. While everyone is going out the smart money is going in; watch Buffet, he's on a shopping spree. The least one can do is follow his coattail.
I have my own strategy and so far I am up almost 200% within the last couple of months. I am not exaggerating The only loss I registered was with BTE because I held on to that stock but I ain't selling since it will go back up, it simply has to because we are still not ready for alternative energy, besides the dividends are good on this one; I am loading up more on it since it's cheap at this time.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

On August 16, 2007, when the drum was being banged and some folks were laughing that there were no problems, the DOW was at 12,845. We are 3,600 below that now on average. That is a 30% devaluation. In that time banks have failed, we have committed nearly $2Trillion in support to the Financial Sector, we have Nationalized at least a part of the sector and, at this point, it is showing ZERO signs of improvement.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Time for facetious predictions, here's mine.

Paulson doesn't do anything with the 700 billion, just waits until the financial system as a whole collapses. Blames it on congress for delaying. Then he gives the whole 700 billion to Goldman Sacks who in turn, buys the whole banking system.

Disclosure: I am long GS.

When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do suggest, at first with heavenly shows - Othello
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
There is resistance. Just filter out the crap you hear in the media; it really is buy time or the beginning of it at least. While everyone is going out the smart money is going in; watch Buffet, he's on a shopping spree. The least one can do is follow his coattail.
I have my own strategy and so far I am up almost 200% within the last couple of months. I am not exaggerating The only loss I registered was with BTE because I held on to that stock but I ain't selling since it will go back up, it simply has to because we are still not ready for alternative energy, besides the dividends are good on this one; I am loading up more on it since it's cheap at this time.
There are some smart buys right now but I am not holding anything over two, three days. I grab pops and run. I am just not confident we have a bottom. As this thing propagates worldwide it is moving thorough sectors and impacting on a very broad band. If the "total capitulation" crowd is correct, this could simply cave. It will be a dark few years.

If you have cash, it will be good times to buy but otherwise, most assets will just burn up.

This thread reminded me why I was so confident to pull out last October. It was a well founded fear. Now I only have in longterm what I have to. Everything else stays in MY hands.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozette View Post
Time for facetious predictions, here's mine.

Paulson doesn't do anything with the 700 billion, just waits until the financial system as a whole collapses. Blames it on congress for delaying. Then he gives the whole 700 billion to Goldman Sacks who in turn, buys the whole banking system.

Disclosure: I am long GS.
So basically he is just going to write a check to himself. Cool.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
You're talking about the activity of speculators and investors, I'm more of a macro-economics (my minor) guy. I'm seeing more shocks on the horizon in the insurance sector.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
You're talking about the activity of speculators and investors, I'm more of a macro-economics (my minor) guy. I'm seeing more shocks on the horizon in the insurance sector.
No problem - GS buys them too.

When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do suggest, at first with heavenly shows - Othello
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in