Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
White House Criticizes Clinton Ad

White House Criticizes Clinton Ad

The Associated Press
Wednesday, August 15, 2007; 12:44 PM

CRAWFORD, Texas -- The White House on Tuesday assailed Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton for criticizing President Bush in her latest television ad, calling her statements "outrageous." The 60-second spot, which began running Tuesday in Iowa, intercuts scenes of the candidate interacting with voters and talking about challenges facing many working people.

"If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president," the New York senator says in the ad. "If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too.

The ad also argued that U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are "invisible" to Bush.

White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino initially declined to comment on the ad, but then lambasted the spot and the senator.

"As to the merits of it, I think it's outrageous. This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost," Perino said. "As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing."

Happy to be in a debate with the White House, the Clinton campaign quickly linked to the official transcript of Perino's comments on its campaign Web site, HillaryHub, with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa, Clinton referred to the White House criticism of her "invisible" comments.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve. The White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," Clinton said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

Calling herself an optimistic and modern progressive who would help the nation overcome economic disparities, Clinton said the U.S. can "grow" its economy amid global competition "and do it in a way that benefits all Americans."

Clinton said the Bush administration "is working for Americans with incomes at the very top."

"Americans work harder than anyone else in the world, yet we're not getting rewarded," she said. "We're seeing a growing gap between the haves and have-nots that threatens the backbone of our country, the middle class that built our country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I think this part of the White House response is truly priceless:
"As to the merits of it, I think it's outrageous.
This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost,
" Perino said.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can not believe just how easily this Administration can be drawn into a fight that they cannot win. Now the FEC will get to address a non running president campaigning against the Dems. It will have the effect of making the White House a PAC. This should be fun.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Are we now supposed to give 'A's for effort? While I acknowledge the Bushies have done nothing to reform healthcare, I find it amusing that haint would criticize the Bush White House for something she was a miserable failure trying to do while her husband was president. The American people have spoken. They don't want nationalized healthcare. We could use some reform but where do we start? It is this point no one seems to be able to agree on.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
Are we now supposed to give 'A's for effort? While I acknowledge the Bushies have done nothing to reform healthcare, I find it amusing that haint would criticize the Bush White House for something she was a miserable failure trying to do while her husband was president. The American people have spoken. They don't want nationalized healthcare. We could use some reform but where do we start? It is this point no one seems to be able to agree on.
I don't know where you have it that the people have "spoken" on universal healthcare. While the Clinton plan was not well received, remember, it was handed to the Newt Congress for deliberations so it did not exactly get a fair shake.

I think there are several plans in the making but it is very complex with so many special interests that have their fingers in the pie. I am guessing that once there is a further consolidation in Congress [should that occur in 08] a comprehensive plan will come together pretty fast. I would not want to own either pharma or insurance stocks when that rolls out.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hillary's health care plan was just plain awful. If she had put out a simple single-payer model with a chartered National Health Insurance company ala the old ATT, it would have flown. Instead she proposed a 100% governmental solution. I think you are in error on the Newt thing, Clinton's first two years were with a Democratic Congress. They were log-rolled by the insurance industry. The story of the Democrats forever, even now.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Nothing anyone says in the Bush administation says anymore has credibility.

This is just more hot air from them

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I don't know where you have it that the people have "spoken" on universal healthcare. While the Clinton plan was not well received, remember, it was handed to the Newt Congress for deliberations so it did not exactly get a fair shake.

I think there are several plans in the making but it is very complex with so many special interests that have their fingers in the pie. I am guessing that once there is a further consolidation in Congress [should that occur in 08] a comprehensive plan will come together pretty fast. I would not want to own either pharma or insurance stocks when that rolls out.
When looking at other 'similar' models from other countries, one can only conclude socialized medicine is a step in the wrong direction. Where do you have that the American people DO want nationalized healthcare? I 'have it' from all the outrage of the American public when sketchy details were unveiled. It's time to go back to the drawing board, find out what the government really spends propping up uninsured citizens and find a way to more productively apply that money to help those who can't afford medical insurance. Once that is figured out, then the present system can be reformed to better serve the people.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Hillary's health care plan was just plain awful. If she had put out a simple single-payer model with a chartered National Health Insurance company ala the old ATT, it would have flown. Instead she proposed a 100% governmental solution. I think you are in error on the Newt thing, Clinton's first two years were with a Democratic Congress. They were log-rolled by the insurance industry. The story of the Democrats forever, even now.
I agree it was not good. But if memory serves it was developed over 18 months during the winter of 1993 and through 1994 and submitted to Congress just as the Republicans got control. I will go back and look but somehow that is in my head but I could be wrong, I am going from memory.

Must log off, Migraine meds are starting to take effect. Later kiddies.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Must log off, Migraine meds are starting to take effect. Later kiddies.
SWMBO suffered from migraines from age 16 until two years ago.
She tried:
  1. Ten to twenty aspirin a day (gave her an ulcer)
  2. Muscle relaxers
  3. Biofeedback
  4. Migraine Headache clinics
  5. More muscle relaxers
  6. Imitrex shots (ouch)
  7. Imitrex pills
  8. Maxalt (Zzz)
Finally, she was given, as a test, injections of nerve blockers on the occipital nerves (base of skull, back of neck). Pain disappeared for 3 months until the medication wore off. This was considered successful, making her a candidate for "Nerve Decompression" surgery.

Surgeon removes muscle material that surrounds the two nerves, sort of a hollowing out around them, giving them greater space so the muscles can't constrict on them as tightly as they did. This is a generalization of what was done and it is the 'plain English' version I was given so I could understand the procedure.

I believe she had a day or two of home recovery.

NO MIGRAINES SINCE. Not even tension headaches.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Last edited by Digmenow; 08-16-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in