post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Would you feel better if they used the median?
It would be a more credible number to use. If the Pentagon was secure with their numbers [and plan] they would be more likely to use numbers that were considered normal reporting. Basing gains off of spikes are not considered normal and in some trades will get you fined.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
Of course it was. Past tense
Yes, WAS, because it would not be a book if it were future tense, just a book idea.

And I was just yanking your chain anyway. I figured you could gUage that.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
You state that "... they are not considered terrorists as you wrote in the opening paragraph of the post." Maybe you could clarify, for me, exactly what YOU think they are, if not terrorists?"
Did you not read the rest of the post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
They would be soldiers, insurgents, or Freedom Fighters depending on the perspective, but not terrorists.

It has to do with what a terrorist is. If folks, like the guys blowing shit up in Iraq are in the middle of a Civil War, or Occupation, or Sectarian violence they are considered to be a lot of things [some posted above, and above that earlier] but that is not a terrorist.

A terrorist act is one where XXX does violence against a group of YYY in an unexpected setting, therefore causing a sense of "terror".

Anyone who is still in Iraq, or anyone who is involved with Iraq [from the Administration or Pentagon to journalists] would have to be brain dead to not have an expectation of violence in the everyday setting. That, in itself negates the "unexpected setting" concept of an act of violence.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Did you not read the rest of the post?

It has to do with what a terrorist is. If folks, like the guys blowing shit up in Iraq are in the middle of a Civil War, or Occupation, or Sectarian violence they are considered to be a lot of things [some posted above, and above that earlier] but that is not a terrorist.

A terrorist act is one where XXX does violence against a group of YYY in an unexpected setting, therefore causing a sense of "terror".

Anyone who is still in Iraq, or anyone who is involved with Iraq [from the Administration or Pentagon to journalists] would have to be brain dead to not have an expectation of violence in the everyday setting. That, in itself negates the "unexpected setting" concept of an act of violence.
I still think you are dogging my question: Exactly what would YOU call "the guys blowing shit up in Iraq? It is a total cop-out, IMO, to say it depends on their motivation. I don't give a damn what the motivation of guys blowing up US soldiers in Iraq might be--they are fucking TERRORISTS! By any damn definition...

Don't believe everything you think
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I still think you are dogging my question: Exactly what would YOU call "the guys blowing shit up in Iraq? It is a total cop-out, IMO, to say it depends on their motivation. I don't give a damn what the motivation of guys blowing up US soldiers in Iraq might be--they are fucking TERRORISTS! By any damn definition...
Tertiary syphilis, Jaystalk?

BBC NEWS | Health | 'Dogging' craze sex disease risk
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I fully understand what you are saying. An example. In the US Civil War, neither the soldiers, civilians or foreign fighters [from either side] would be considered a terrorist even in today's terms. The same with the Revolutionary War. Neither our guys [not an organized Army in many areas], the Brits, the French, Germans or any other fighters would be considered TERRORISTS. They blew stuff up, killed folks and were every bit as mean and nasty as today's fighters are but, they were doing so in the confines of a WARZONE. Just like Iraq.

I am not dodging your question, or dogging you for that matter, I answered the question. The guys blowing shit up are Insurgents, partisans, warriors, soldiers, mean shits, Freedom Fighters, religious zealots. They are a lot of things but they don't meet any definition of terrorist. That is a spin word in the context of Iraq. [caveat: it can be said that terror cells are forming in Iraq but for them to BE terrorists, they would have to ply their wares in unsuspected places, and there are not unsuspected places in Iraq. It is a WARZONE]

Oklahoma City=Terrorist act
NYC 9/11+Terrorist act
British Subway Bombing=Terrorist act
Bombing in Sarajevo in 1995 NOT Terrorist act
Bombing of Mosque in Basra NOT Terrorist act
Bombing in Kabul 2006 NOT a Terrorist act

The differences are that the first three were in unexpected situations, without a preconceived expectation of violence and "terror".

The last three were events that all took place within the confines of war, by warring factions in places and times that there could be a reasonable expectation that violence would exist.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
This is going to really disappoint some of you terrorist sympathisers here, but the number of truck bombs and other large al-Qaeda-style attacks in Iraq have declined nearly 50% since the United States started increasing troop levels in Iraq about six months ago, according to the U.S. military command in Iraq.

USATODAY.com
what type of proppaganda is this?
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
There you go again...

post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I fully understand what you are saying. An example. In the US Civil War, neither the soldiers, civilians or foreign fighters [from either side] would be considered a terrorist even in today's terms. The same with the Revolutionary War. Neither our guys [not an organized Army in many areas], the Brits, the French, Germans or any other fighters would be considered TERRORISTS. They blew stuff up, killed folks and were every bit as mean and nasty as today's fighters are but, they were doing so in the confines of a WARZONE. Just like Iraq.

I am not dodging your question, or dogging you for that matter, I answered the question. The guys blowing shit up are Insurgents, partisans, warriors, soldiers, mean shits, Freedom Fighters, religious zealots. They are a lot of things but they don't meet any definition of terrorist. That is a spin word in the context of Iraq. [caveat: it can be said that terror cells are forming in Iraq but for them to BE terrorists, they would have to ply their wares in unsuspected places, and there are not unsuspected places in Iraq. It is a WARZONE]

Oklahoma City=Terrorist act
NYC 9/11+Terrorist act
British Subway Bombing=Terrorist act
Bombing in Sarajevo in 1995 NOT Terrorist act
Bombing of Mosque in Basra NOT Terrorist act
Bombing in Kabul 2006 NOT a Terrorist act

The differences are that the first three were in unexpected situations, without a preconceived expectation of violence and "terror".

The last three were events that all took place within the confines of war, by warring factions in places and times that there could be a reasonable expectation that violence would exist.
Squirm all you want, the people blowing up US troops in Iraq are terrorists! You list those six things above and define them in your own terms, but you fail to list and identify what YOU would call those guys in Iraq blowing up our guys. Ever think you might be happier in another country? I suspect a lot of people in this country would be happier if you were in another country rather than pretending to be an American...

post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz rider
what type of proppaganda is this?
What is proppaganda?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in