Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I have to say it was because I was bad or I might get banned again, but I do believe there should be a more objective way of determining this sort of thing than one person taking offense at something that someone else might not have viewed as a bannable offense. Personal vendettas and misunderstandings can and will occur in a system that does not have clearly defined behaviors that will result in banning, but it would take much work to develop a system. If they really wanted to put forth the effort they could even design a system that provides "degrees of badness" that result in a two-day, two-week, two-month, or permanent bans. I have to admit that that would be a lot of work and perhaps it would just be easier and better to just live and let live. I have no problem w/ that or w/ why I was banned. I just think the system could be tightened up a bit.
What would you suggest as a system that is "tightened up a bit?" I am truly curious. The OT "experience" doesn't have to be PG-13 rated by no means, but it doesn't have to be what it sometimes becomes. I posted a somewhat rhetorical suggestion for a sticky thread after reading a couple threads that started with pretty good topics and good exchange of positions that broke down into profane spats between only 2 or 3 with no more relevant content (not playful spats, either, rather venomous). Is it OK to post that you hope members of the other party are most affected by a national tragedy? Is it OK to post the reference to the parent that is currently in the Bunny Ranch thread?
How would you define civilized incivility?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
What would you suggest as a system that is "tightened up a bit?" I am truly curious. The OT "experience" doesn't have to be PG-13 rated by no means, but it doesn't have to be what it sometimes becomes. I posted a somewhat rhetorical suggestion for a sticky thread after reading a couple threads that started with pretty good topics and good exchange of positions that broke down into profane spats between only 2 or 3 with no more relevant content (not playful spats, either, rather venomous). Is it OK to post that you hope members of the other party are most affected by a national tragedy? Is it OK to post the reference to the parent that is currently in the Bunny Ranch thread?
ed...I am not currently a participant on that thread but do not feel bad for the recipient of the parental reference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offspring of Bunny Ranch thread parent
Nope. If you want Kamil, quick call your mom's number
Of course, the old, "He started it!" defense never worked before so I really don't expect it to here, either.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #83 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
Bravo, that is very constructive.
Well, I now know I'm not on your ignorant list . . . yet.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #84 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Originally Posted by Offspring of Bunny Ranch thread parent
That one's obvious... or at least it's the same computer program... but does it have a evil daddy mastermind? ... or is it just unable to think clear thoughts?

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #85 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
The BWOT poster child for ridiculous, embarrassing threads is right here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...apolis-mn.html. From the breathtakingly inappropriate post #2 to the lengthy and childish firefight that erupted later, this thread just screams for moderation, IMHO. I mean all it really takes is forum members not behaving like two year olds and flinging the contents of their diapers at each other, but I guess that's too much to ask.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #86 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
Well, there is really only one rule in OT -- ignore a PM warning from a moderator and you risk being banned.
That is the only rule that matters.
If you disagree with the content of the mod’s PM forward it to admin and copy the mod. They all work for the admin. Don’t ignore the PM like a coward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesam
while i agree with teutone i'm afraid OT won't be as entertaining without personal attacks...
True. But there are ways to launch a personal attack that won’t result in a PM from a mod. A little creativity goes a long way.

As for thread Ron refers to, it’s obvious to anyone post 2 was an attempt at humor – a failed attempt – but not meant to be serious.

(And yes, we’re all sick of Iraq threads – but the American members need to talk about it as a kind of therapy.)
post #87 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244
As for thread Ron refers to, it’s obvious to anyone post 2 was an attempt at humor – a failed attempt – but not meant to be serious.
Yes, of course it's obvious, that doesn't mean it wasn't wildly disrespectful and inappropriate. The resulting melee was not surprising.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #88 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:02 AM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
The BWOT poster child for ridiculous, embarrassing threads is right here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...apolis-mn.html. From the breathtakingly inappropriate post #2 to the lengthy and childish firefight that erupted later, this thread just screams for moderation, IMHO. I mean all it really takes is forum members not behaving like two year olds and flinging the contents of their diapers at each other, but I guess that's too much to ask.
You want it all?
post #89 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:06 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar

YouTube - monty python - fish dance
post #90 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would happen if there was absolutely no moderator on this forum?

It would probably be a lot of fun....and we can't have that.....OH NO!

240Joe

Anarchists of the world UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in