Personal attacks & insults - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 33,566
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
To eliminate personal attacks / insults altogether is impossible.
But we do have members who post little of substance, and seem to delight mostly in mud slinging and flame wars.
The OT has clearly deteriorated and gotten out of hand.
I doubt there has ever been a time with as many members on ignore.
Teutone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ LOL...let me know if you want my list.
Qubes is offline  
post #53 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Punjabi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Location: In Virtual Reality
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
To eliminate personal attacks / insults altogether is impossible.
But we do have members who post little of substance, and seem to delight mostly in mud slinging and flame wars.
The OT has clearly deteriorated and gotten out of hand.
I doubt there has ever been a time with as many members on ignore.
heh, heh....about 90% of the posts! heh, heh.....
Punjabi is offline  
post #54 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
BadBenz94's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Location: Kankakee,IL
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
To eliminate personal attacks / insults altogether is impossible.
But we do have members who post little of substance, and seem to delight mostly in mud slinging and flame wars.
The OT has clearly deteriorated and gotten out of hand.
I doubt there has ever been a time with as many members on ignore.
LMAO!!!!!!!!! Can you tell us who is most often put on ignore, maybe do a top 10!!!!!!!

Really though, could you shed some light on the subject?

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
BadBenz94 is offline  
post #55 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I think Teutone is just trying to get it down to a roar. Actually, it hasn't been bad at all here the last couple of days, but it was getting pretty rough there for a while...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #56 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
 
cmitch's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Location: City on the TN River
Posts: 10,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
I think Teutone is just trying to get it down to a roar. Actually, it hasn't been bad at all here the last couple of days, but it was getting pretty rough there for a while...
I needs to pays closer attenshun to whut de hell's goin' on 'round here!

Oh, yeah. Fuck all you fucktards (of course, if you're not a fucktard, then I'm NOT talkin to you!).

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
cmitch is offline  
post #57 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 33,566
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
I needs to pays closer attenshun to whut de hell's goin' on 'round here!

Oh, yeah. Fuck all you fucktards (of course, if you're not a fucktard, then I'm NOT talkin to you!).
Bravo, that is very constructive.
Teutone is offline  
post #58 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
To eliminate personal attacks / insults altogether is impossible.
But we do have members who post little of substance, and seem to delight mostly in mud slinging and flame wars.
The OT has clearly deteriorated and gotten out of hand.
I doubt there has ever been a time with as many members on ignore.
I sympathize w/ what you are saying, and we do sometimes go overboard, but to really provide consequences for those behaviors you must be prepared to functionally and operationally define your terms; and then you really should do reliability checks among all mods to determine the validity of your definitions. If you don't do that--and achieve at least 90% agreement--you will have mod X banning for reason A and mod Y banning for reason B, and I believe there is likely to be a LOT of screams of UNFAIRNESS from members who get hit.

I suspect that just posting this thread may be enough to tone us down, at least for a while. When, in your opinion, things get too out of control again post another thread. If memory serves, this seems to go in waves w/ long periods in between. I don't think it is that out of control now, but I know it will happen again and again--and trying to really set up a punitive system to ban people for undefined behaviors may come back to haunt you. I am a behavioral psychologist by profession and I know from experience what a can of worms something like this can be.

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 08-10-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Jayhawk is offline  
post #59 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Punjabi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Location: In Virtual Reality
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I sympathize w/ what you are saying, and we do sometimes go overboard, but to really provide consequences for those behaviors you must be prepared to functionally and operationally define your terms; and then you really should do reliability checks among all mods to determine the validity of your definitions. If you don't do that--and achieve at least 90% agreement--you will have mod X banning for reason A and mod Y banning for reason B, and I believe there is likely to be a LOT of screams of UNFAIRNESS from members who get hit.

I suspect that just posting this thread may be enough to tone us down, at least for a while. When, in your opinion, things get too out of control again post another thread. If memory serves, this seems to go in waves w/ long periods in between. I don't think it is that out of control now, but I know it will happen again and again--and trying to really set up a punitive system to ban people for undefined behaviors may come back to haunt you. I am a behavioral psychologist by profession and I know from experience what a can of worms something like this can be.

heh, heh....why were you banned recently? heh, heh......
Punjabi is offline  
post #60 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 33,566
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Did someone say roar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pjun20l.jpg (27.1 KB, 66 views)
Teutone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    gay insults conleycrew3 Off-Topic 42 03-24-2006 07:30 AM
    What do you think about the attacks of 9/11? old300D Off-Topic 163 02-27-2006 09:34 PM
    Laura Bush insults Islam, starts riot FeelTheLove Off-Topic 39 05-24-2005 07:04 AM
    US right attacks SpongeBob video GeeS Off-Topic 7 01-21-2005 12:59 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome