Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Rearranging (i.) Understanding = Faith + Will;
Substituting (b.) Understanding = Fact + Stupidity+Will;

That makes sense to you?

B
I unders... well let me just say I have faith in the idea, enough to pursue it.

I wish I had enough time on my hands to sit diwn with a dictionary and a calculator and work through some of these relationships.

Original intent being: will = product of conscisiousness and represents a victory of the active conscience( 6. Obsolete. strict and reverential observance) .over the circumstance, as opposed to a victory of chemical processs, or previously accepted beliefes.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Cool Faith & belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz rider
define it in your own terms, please. thanks
The first definition that comes to mind is "faith in God". I cannot discuss comparative religeon intelligently, but one thing that I think holds true is that most religeons believe in some form of "Supreme Being".

As some other members have pointed out, we can have faith in a lot of things and there are several equally correct definitions. The dictionary I use most often cites the 1st one as "unquestioning belief", and also lists "faith" and "belief" as synonyms.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #33 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag
G. Eliot. -- They are rid of the Christian God and now believe all the more firmly that they must cling to Christian morality. That is an English consistency; we do not wish to hold it against little moralistic females * la Eliot. In England one must rehabilitate oneself after every little emancipation from theology by showing in a veritably awe-inspiring manner what a moral fanatic one is. That is the penance they pay there.

We others hold otherwise. When one gives up the Christian faith, one pulls the right to Christian morality out from under one's feet. This morality is by no means self-evident: this point has to be exhibited again and again, despite the English flatheads. Christianity is a system, a whole view of things thought out together. By breaking one main concept out of it, the faith in God, one breaks the whole: nothing necessary remains in one's hands. Christianity presupposes that man does not know, cannot know, what is good for him, what evil: he believes in God, who alone knows it. Christian morality is a command; its origin is transcendent; it is beyond all criticism, all right to criticism; it has truth only if God is the truth--it stands and falls with faith in God.

When the English actually believe that they know "intuitively" what is good and evil, when they therefore suppose that they no longer require Christianity as the guarantee of morality, we merely witness the effects of the dominion of the Christian value judgment and an expression of the strength and depth of this dominion: such that the origin of English morality has been forgotten, such that the very conditional character of its right to existence is no longer felt. For the English, morality is not yet a problem.
You seem to have missed the point, modern english has many faiths and beliefs as holland does. English people today come from all walks of life and not simply from the counties of the old empire.

However, my (present) understanding of faith is knowing that my wife will come home at the time she stated, and thats a Loooong shot. Such is lifebbb
post #34 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
English !............ is not the same as British me old China plate . and the point is there is no point , but you missed that .
post #35 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
faith to me means indiana jones/harrison ford leaping from the lion's head to prove his worth in 'the last crusade'
post #36 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'd offer that faith means you recognize what is outside your ability to control or influence directly, despite your best intentions, and knowing that, you proceed under the assumption that those things will resolve themselves favorably.

I don't think having a lack of faith is a bad thing, because I'm fairly conservative. Faith is swell, but if it's not founded in reason - e.g. a calculation of all the elements involved to gauge whether or not the faith is well-placed (as I think Bot suggests), then you need to make sure your bases are covered. Just in case. To the contrary, I think faith is something to be earned. If you can afford to have it, you've done well. A caveat is that the bar needs to be set at a fair level.

For example, I have faith that my team and the systems they manage will work as expected, and any problems that may arise in my absence will be competently resolved - because the history of those systems and the performance of my team doesn't provide a reasonable justification for concern.

If you asked me to build a supercomputer by Wednesday, I would not have faith that we could do so.
post #37 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag
English !............ is not the same as British me old China plate . and the point is there is no point , but you missed that .
If there is no point, then why are we discussing it? I must have missed something when I was born (I think the intellectuals) you know the bright guys call it a brain. Still, conveyor belt production is not perfect
post #38 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
enjoy this pic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Islam foolish.jpg (40.3 KB, 78 views)

Fuel economy!! whats that??
post #39 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
LOL Eric , but the conveyor belt production for Faith product's is still running full steam and they even supply a manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dddd.jpg (1.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg cccc.jpg (3.0 KB, 59 views)
post #40 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
The word faith used to have a positive connotation. Today it rings with a dread of being subjected to fanatical religious bullshit. The word is lost, taken over by cheap sales slogans for objectives contrary to the original use of the word, when it had a positivie connotation. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in