post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A264172
I would not vote to occupy Iraq based on his using chemical weapons on his own people. But then that wasn't the premis that anyone voted to go to war on.
I'm not sure backing Sadam against Iran was a 'error' any more than our mid east policy has been as a whole. More likley it was a convient tool to keep a large part of the worlds oil supply out from under the uncertain veil of radical islam. The political decision makers of that era knew exactly what Sadam was and they diddn't care, as long as they had unfettered access to the regions energy supplies, and the Soviets did not.
Energy is money and power if the cost to extract it is less than the energy gained.

My beliefe is that we waste our national resources by trying to play the policeman of world wide democracy and by involving ourselves in military adventures that are not in response to some grave and imminant danger to our survival as a nation It is a shame that we have put ourselves into a position where forigeners control assets that we feel we must have to continue to live. This nation has never been weaker or needier than it is today. By extending our 'influence' and thereby showing our limitations instead of our cooporation and thereby our capabilitys, we invite any discontents with the status quo to press us beyond our limits. It is a flagrant violation of the free market principals that made this country strong to ensure markets by force of arms. And it is a drain on America that will sink her if it is allowed to continue without repair. We give up our freedom every day to do buisness with whomever we wish to our greatest benifits when we fix ourselves to the methods, infrastructure, and landlords of the past and their purposes.

As to I 80 I don't use it much at all and I am torn between the notions that I hate to pay tools as I drive down the road and that the money will surley come from someplace and where better?

PS Sorry about the run ons, I'm too tired to edit.
Say, you're smarter than I look.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
In the perfect world not the US but the world government should do such things.

Any genocide should be stopped.

Any human life should be saved.

Well, we don't have perfect world and probably never will.

It's enough that US gives political asylum every year to the hundreds of thousands. Lucky them.
If we only had such an organization, a Union of Nations, United together to...you get the picture.

That has been my point all along. Any sanctions have to be dealt with through the United Nations and have to have harsh Economic and Political implications. Only on the most remote of cases should massive military force be necessary to address a problem. The problem is getting the major players to agree since many get economic benefits from those countries [we have been in that very situation in the past].

Once the World community starts acting against these rogue states in a unified manner, things will start getting better across the board. Military force can be limited to truly necessary global issues or when all diplomatic avenues have failed.

In the Iraq example, most diplomatic sanctions actually worked. They took work, and were not to OUR timeline but most of the actual UN objectives were addressed over the 1988-2000 time frame. Even post GW1 there was minimal total rejection, just time shifted obstruction [much like we do when we have demands placed against us that we don’t want to follow – like waiting til the last second to appeal a congressional subpoena]

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Say, you're smarter than I look.
An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows. -Eisenhower

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A264172
An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows. -Eisenhower
Fits in perfect here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in