Can someone be for military action but not the Iraqi occupation? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can someone be for military action but not the Iraqi occupation?

Seems to me a total pullout of the middle east, or the world as some have suggested, appears to be a surrender of western society, not just the USA, to the radical ways of the lunatic fringe Islamist extremists. Is this the message we want to send to the world? Kill nearly 3k innocent Americans in the west and get away with it?
Lord only knows how many innocents on all sides have been killed in this misguided and heavy handed endeavor, but a total withdrawal is not something I think is in the US-A's best long term interest.
What do you think?

PS We all agree W. sucks, try a new angle.
Shane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,926
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
You need to state you position more concisely. I have suggested this to you several times to no avail. Please try to be specific. You consistently paint your position in strokes so broad that I don't understand it. And I don't believe I'm alone in that regard. Where do you want American troops and why? From where should we extricate American troops and why?

Do you want troops in S. Korea?
Do you want troops in Japan?
Do you want troops in Thailand?
Do you want troops in the Philippines?
Do you want troops in Indonesia?
Do you want troops in Iraq?
Do you want troops in Iran?
Do you want troops in Saudi Arabia?
Do you want troops in Afghanistan?
Do you want troops in Cuba?
Do you want troops in Venezuela?
Do you want troops in Germany?
Do you want troops in Italy?
Do you want troops in Lebanon?
Do you want troops in Israel?
Do you want troops in Syria?

What do any of these things/places have to do with "Kill nearly 3k innocent Americans in the west and get away with it?" other than Afghanistan? What retribution is the Arab world entitled to for the loss of 500,000 lives in Iraq? None? Any?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My new angle:

You and W suck.

That is all.
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,926
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
^ Brevity and precision is a wonderful combination.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
My new angle:

You and W suck.

That is all.
Sadly this is what I have come to expect from you.
Shane is offline  
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Why are you sad? This is like the twentieth time you've asked the same silly vaguely conceptualized question. Until you respond to GS' post, I think it's perfectly apropos.
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
You need to state you position more concisely. I have suggested this to you several times to no avail. Please try to be specific. You consistently paint your position in strokes so broad that I don't understand it. And I don't believe I'm alone in that regard. Where do you want American troops and why? From where should we extricate American troops and why?

Do you want troops in S. Korea?
Do you want troops in Japan?
Do you want troops in Thailand?
Do you want troops in the Philippines?
Do you want troops in Indonesia?
Do you want troops in Iraq?
Do you want troops in Iran?
Do you want troops in Saudi Arabia?
Do you want troops in Afghanistan?
Do you want troops in Cuba?
Do you want troops in Venezuela?
Do you want troops in Germany?
Do you want troops in Italy?
Do you want troops in Lebanon?
Do you want troops in Israel?
Do you want troops in Syria?

What do any of these things/places have to do with "Kill nearly 3k innocent Americans in the west and get away with it?" other than Afghanistan? What retribution is the Arab world entitled to for the loss of 500,000 lives in Iraq? None? Any?
And all I ever get from you is some radical world pull out. Talk about broad swipes! How would I, you or anyone know what would be militarily strategic and generally accepted here and worldwide as appropriate retribution and safe keeping? We are not in the know, thus all we can do is criticize and point out the failings instead of offering plausible ideas other than the ridiculous folly of complete surrender and withdrawl.
Who says it has to be land based troops? Who says it cannot be covert, and who the hell ever thought an occupation would be the answer? Even FTL admitted he was for military action against the actions done on 911, just not what we have now. I agree with this.
Shane is offline  
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Seems to me a total pullout of the middle east, or the world as some have suggested, appears to be a surrender of western society, not just the USA, to the radical ways of the lunatic fringe Islamist extremists. Is this the message we want to send to the world? Kill nearly 3k innocent Americans in the west and get away with it?
Lord only knows how many innocents on all sides have been killed in this misguided and heavy handed endeavor, but a total withdrawal is not something I think is in the US-A's best long term interest.
What do you think?

PS We all agree W. sucks, try a new angle.
Note that no one has ever called for a pull out from Afghanistan. No one has protested involvement in Afghanistan. That very telling difference between Afghanistan and Iraq shows me that the American people are NOT interested in surrender, NOT interesting in capitulation, NOT interested in a withdrawal from fighting the GWOT.

What this obvious difference tells me is that the majority of American people understand that Afghanistan is a necessary, logical, extension of American power to DIRECTLY address Taliban and al Qaeda. It also tells me that the American people can tell the difference between that logic in Afghanistan and the misguided [from day one] misadventures in Iraq which have been wrong and have been counterproductive to America in so many ways. Americans see that we are in a NO WIN situation [only degrees of loss] and a Strategic extrication from Iraq is in the best interest for this country and positions us for the very long GWOT.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,926
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
And all I ever get from you is some radical world pull out. Talk about broad swipes! How would I, you or anyone know what would be militarily strategic and generally accepted here and worldwide as appropriate retribution and safe keeping? We are not in the know, thus all we can do is criticize and point out the failings instead of offering plausible ideas other than the ridiculous folly of complete surrender and withdrawl.
Who says it has to be land based troops? Who says it cannot be covert, and who the hell ever thought an occupation would be the answer? Even FTL admitted he was for military action against the actions done on 911, just not what we have now. I agree with this.
If you believe that clarified your position in the slightest, you are sadly mistaken. Yet, you continue to mischaracterize mine, despite the fact that I've made it very clear. Next time, try answering the simple questions posed instead of playing duck and cover.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
If you believe that clarified your position in the slightest, you are sadly mistaken. Yet, you continue to mischaracterize mine, despite the fact that I've made it very clear. Next time, try answering the simple questions posed instead of playing duck and cover.
Why don't you clarify it again for the dense, eh?
Shane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    what is your occupation? Streetglower Off-Topic 48 05-09-2007 10:44 AM
    Iraqi president supporting the US?: Iraqi president objects U.S. arrest of Iranians Jakarta Expat Off-Topic 14 12-26-2006 01:24 PM
    occupation? my260e Off-Topic 38 04-10-2006 01:41 PM
    Rear blind action - as in no action lander91 W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 0 11-13-2005 05:31 AM
    Rear blind action - as in no action lander91 W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 0 11-13-2005 05:30 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome