Any Bentley owners here? Advice? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Designo_E320

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Question Any Bentley owners here? Advice?

This is a Bentley 8. It is a 1988 with 130K miles and is very clean. I am interested in it. I was wondering if there were any owners here and could give me some pointers as far as what to look out for and the problem areas as well as maintainence costs. Below are the pics.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4e76_3.jpg (120.2 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 5a4c_3.jpg (91.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 5e9e_3.jpg (46.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 5fd3_3.jpg (82.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 54d4_3.jpg (88.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 58e9_3.jpg (77.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 4952_3.jpg (133.2 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 5072_3.jpg (122.6 KB, 178 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
The cheap floor mats and 1 knob Alpine cassette player would alone tell me to avoid it at all cost.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
That's stunning, gorgeous, a beautiful car with one of the most sexy looking shapes I have ever seen on a modern sedan. Driving one of those will give you the feel of being inside a British gentleman's club with all that rich wood and leather cosseting you. Plus, the Turbo R REALLY hauls ass.

Not the car to get though if you are looking for reliability or to be able to run on a budget.

A close friend of mine bought a 1989 Rolls Royce Silver Spur in the same color as that one you are looking at. He's had it for about a year now. (The previous owner was in San Francisco, and literally abandoned it to the repair shop after it racked up over $13,000 in repair bills The shop then sorted out all the various problems, and sold it to my friend as a lien car)

After about a year and a half, my friend is having second thoughts, as the car is now starting to bite HIM in the ass really hard,frequent and expensive trips to the shop.

You would love driving it, for sure, it's quick, will cosset you like royalty, and it's beautiful.

To sum up from Quentin Willson's picks, let's say this:

FOR: Huge Image, Huge fun, Huge pedigree, huge presence, breeding, politically incorrect

AGAINST: Huge thirst, huge bills, lots of woof-woofs, bit of a barge on corners, envy factor

GENERALLY: Service history a must, don't buy without. Dark colors flatter.
Rust resistant body and long lived engine will outlast most owners. Medaeval mechanicals, so not hopelessly tragic to run if you bypass the white glove dealer service system Quality mileage and provenance are all, shrewd selection is all important, be very anal and fussy

AVOID: Anything without history, signs of odometer clocking, engine damage, cam ticking, power steering leaks, bad shocks, pitted chrome, warped brake rotors, blue smoke, vandal scratches, creased leather, rotten wheel arches, baggy high milers, ruined interiors, shabby timber, bad electric seat and window motors.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide!!

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 07-22-2007 at 01:18 PM.
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bigno!

Last edited by deathrattle; 07-22-2007 at 01:57 PM.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
I owned a '84 Silver Spur with 38k miles and a '88 Corniche with 30k miles. I have owned more than 50 cars in my life, from Lexus to Rolls, Corvette to Porsche. And I feel obligated to say nothing, and I mean nothing is more labor intensive than a Rolls Royce/Bentley of the English era. (ok, ok the V12 e type was actually worse) Please note I say labor intensive to be polite, really they are the biggest pieces of shit in the world. If you grew up on toyotas or hondas you cannot even fathom the multitude of things that will go wrong with one of these suckers. I mean you will end up stopped at a red light, looking over at people waiting for the bus and become envious of them. This is how often these cars break. Financing one is a joke, since paying for it is the least expensive thing that will occur.
Biggest problems
1. Lucas wiring
2. Leaking brake/suspension fluid
3. Low oil pressure regardless of miles

The suspension in the rolls (not sure about the bentley) runs off the brake booster and they always leak due to a bad design where the actual motor that forces the fluid is buried under the MF intake. Brilliant! Run low enough on mimeral oil and your brakes fail. Keep plenty of the green mineral oil handy and tons of pans in the garage. You will need it. If you have all the multitude of gaskets replaced in the suspension system (which requires removal of the fuel injection, again brilliant) it will still leak immediately or within a year or two due to the rubber gaskets being placed in areas that get hotter than hell (brilliant.)
In a nutshell if you do not work on the cars yourself, and do not know the basics about electrics and wiring, do not touch on of these with a 50 ft. pole. If you are a semi capable mechanic you will tolerate the car for less than a year and kick it as it drives off. Guaranteed.

PS Everyone should own one just realize how good life was before. You will never take any other car for granted again.

PSII These cars honestly seem built to booster the middle/lower class while fucking the daylights out of the wealthy.

PSIII RUN!

Last edited by Shane; 07-22-2007 at 01:05 PM.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
My two beautiful to look at and to drive RR's. Just don't own one.

Last edited by Shane; 12-06-2009 at 10:00 PM.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
nice car but don't waste your money because it will be a money pit. My dad had one new then my stepmom crashed it within a year. I drove it here and there when I felt like my wiwi was too small but thanks to FTL's creams I no longer have the desire for such cars but when I slip up from my wiwi confidence program I drive a W126 which is way more reliable if you get one in good shape for way way less money. Besides a 560SEL like mine has stretched rear doors with ample leg rooms and you can install some real nice curtains back there where your wives would not need to wear hijabs, think about it.

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was going to say Run Fast Run Far but Shane covered it better.

Note in Pictures 2 and 6 where the console is loose or not replaced correctly. That indicates that someone has been under the console dicking with the wiring [maybe part of the stereo install, maybe not] but it is not a good omen.

they do not call it Lucas: Prince of Darkness for nothing.

My mechanic has to give me this same lecture EVERY TIME I lust after another V12 XK-E.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 07-22-2007 at 01:18 PM.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
This is a Bentley 8. It is a 1988 with 130K miles and is very clean. I am interested in it. I was wondering if there were any owners here and could give me some pointers as far as what to look out for and the problem areas as well as maintainence costs. Below are the pics.
Thanks!
heh, heh......looks like you had some "loco-weed!" heh, heh.....surely you are not being serious! WALK AWAY! heh, heh......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bentley.jpg (128.1 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by Punjabi; 07-22-2007 at 01:54 PM.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 01:40 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Big-ass guage for the outside temperature. Precious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in