post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punjabi
128MB Ram! Blimey! Even my wrist watch has more RAM! Heh, heh.....How did manage to run your applications? Quit wasting time and invest in a new Motherboard with processor/RAM/Graphics Card/harddisk upgrade or just buy a new computer.....pretty cheap nowadays, especially in the US! heh, heh....

I saw a Dell on their website with a free 17 in monitor, free 1 gig Ram upgrade, free printer, with all the other latesst specs, for $520 bucks.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
I saw a Dell on their website with a free 17 in monitor, free 1 gig Ram upgrade, free printer, with all the other latesst specs, for $520 bucks.
Proprietary hardware. You're at the mercy of their slow evolution.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Cheap, throw away hardware, who cares if it is proprietary. That mattered when this stuff actually cost money.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
520 is still a fortune in my book

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:00 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The problem is you have to buy their shit. They've been quite diligent in making sure you can't upgrade with other products.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1994 E320 (W124) 4-Door Sedan
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to jgajito
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser
Hello everyone,

So today I decided I wanted to upgrade the RAM in one of my older computers, which came factory- installed with only 128 MB of RAM. I went out and bought another 128 MB and made sure it was the exact same specs as the original one. I installed it, and when I turned on the computer, there were no beeping noises to alert me of any errors. As soon as the computer booted up to the XP log in screen, it restarted itself, and it kept doing this until I got pissed and forced the damn thing to turn off. Could anyone tell me what the problem may be, is the RAM faulty, or is there something I did wrong? Thank You.
Is your version of XP an official licensed copy or a strange version, possibly borrowed from a friend...

There was a time that XP (if you haven't done any updates), wouldn't accept ANY system hardware upgrades and would bug if a new RAM stick was installed.

Are you running UPnP, what's the latest service pack you're running, try removing the RAM stick, and rebooting, if that works again, reboot safe mode, delete the VMM from the C: drive and then shut down, install and boot again into safe mode. if it still doesn't reboot at all. You have an incompatible stick of memory.

For what it's worth, you say you have 128MB from the original system. I'm guessing you don't even have a Pentium 4. True or False?
If so, don' t bother upgrading the RAM. Upgrade your machine, you can spend $300.00 on a simple Pentium 4 Processor.

Good Luck!

"Droppin' a dime, my 2 cents is free, give the rest to Uncle Sam..."
1983 190E 2.3L 8V
(deceased, and sold on Ebay)

1994 E320 Sedan White & Grey
(Keeper)

RE: the 190E Evo II Rear Wing Spoiler.BMW research and development chief, Wolfgang Reitzle: The laws of aerodynamics must be different between Munich and Stuttgart...
IF THAT REAR WING WORKS, WE WILL HAVE TO REBUILD THE BMW TUNNEL... and so they did!!!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

My guess is he bought memory of a particular class, not realizing there are different speed ratings within the general classes. The computer will boot, but Windows will crash, just as he described. My guess is he bought a "PC-133" upgrade, thinking all PC-133 chips are the same. While it is possible a mixed set would work fine, the rule is to use a chip exactly like the one that is in there already, or replace the one that is in there entirely. As long as the chips are a matched set, it should boot properly. The advice above to boot the computer with only the new chip is the best, and I suspect the person that gave it knows what I am saying here.

Compaqs, by the way, are still in production. I bought two or three of them a few weeks back, they were excellent computers for the money at $350 a box.

I've also found that if you max out the RAM (min 512 mb) and put a PATA 133 card with a 7200 RPM disk into these old boxes, they will actually run Windows XP/Office 2003 quite well. A fast video card also helps. Most of the bottleneck on these old machines is not in the CPU, it is in the slow RAM and the slow disks and video. When ever I am scrapping computers, I always pulls parts like this (and I always pack rat all the RAM chips) and keep them aside in case I run into any boxes where the CPU is running at 950 mz and up - I upgrade them with these kinds of parts and put them back into service where possible - they run XP just fine. But you have to do your homework - google the model, or better yet the model# of the Motherboard, and find out what the max specs are first. But you really need to have access to used parts. Doing an upgrade by buying RAM, a video card, a disk controller and a disk, man you are pretty close to what it would cost to buy a cheap Dell.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 07-22-2007 at 03:52 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 05:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
$520 from Dell?

I can build a brand new Core 2 Duo PC capable of playing HD DVD movies perfectly for under $450.

To the OP: upgrading from 128MB to 256mb does not make much sense.

2x1GB RAM is going for around $70 those days.

Time to say good bye to your Compaq.

Last edited by maine_coon; 07-22-2007 at 05:43 PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Does the $450 include the 17" monitor and the cheesy printer? I doubt it. I only build machines now when I intend to spend serious money to build a monster for Autocad or big spreadsheets. Trying to build one to beat the low end machines simply does not make sense anymore, they just give too much stuff away with them now, and hey, my time is worth more than that.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Does the $450 include the 17" monitor and the cheesy printer? I doubt it. I only build machines now when I intend to spend serious money to build a monster for Autocad or big spreadsheets. Trying to build one to beat the low end machines simply does not make sense anymore, they just give too much stuff away with them now, and hey, my time is worth more than that.
No, it does not include the monitor or printer.

But my $450 is Core 2 Duo 1.83->2.7Ghz w/2x1GB PC800 and 500GB Seagate SATA II 5years warranty HDD.

It would run AutoCad or anything else with no sweat at all.

I've built 3 of them in the last 3 months, one for the living room, one for the office and one for the kitchen HTPC.

It is a hell of the powerful machines, trust me on this. They look good too.

Highly doubt Dell can give you something even remotely comparable for the money.

As of my time, I just enjoy doing this. Turning some pieces of the metal into something alive and good-looking.

I guess I did not have enough toys when I was a kid.

I wish my car skills were as good as my computer skills.

Last edited by maine_coon; 07-22-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in