Hand rails trail stairs. Why? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:12 AM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's my factory Seven. That's my dad btw, before I shot him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0012.jpg (93.6 KB, 48 views)
deathrattle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:45 AM
Alien
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
Here's my factory Seven. That's my dad btw, before I shot him.
Woah! I never seen anything like that before.

I owned a 1973 Triumph spitfire once when in my teen years. I purchased it off a friend who kept it in a barn. I will never forget that car. The floor board was rusted out, I had to use a pair of vice grips to shift it, and the carbs were all mess up. I got it for a song and fixed it right on the spot. I put the top down and took some pride in making my friend feel bad as I drove off. Only problem was my friend didn’t tell me that all the local cats had been using it as a litter box and when I got up to sixty I got a face full of dusty cat shit. At the time I thought it was just dirt and didn’t mind. Later that day I realized what was up.

I don’t have any of the photos of what would have been my XKE. Well I do but they are all on Polaroid stuffed away somewhere. I must admit I would like to have an XKE one day and had I not been such a wee little bastard I would have been driving one of these instead of a Mercedes.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 03:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
shrimpton's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Totally off topic: The 'All Blacks' have just beaten up and slaughtered the hapless Aussies and thus retained both the Bledisloe and Tri-Nations Rugby cups.
shrimpton is offline  
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 AM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Woah! I never seen anything like that before.

I owned a 1973 Triumph spitfire once when in my teen years. I purchased it off a friend who kept it in a barn. I will never forget that car. The floor board was rusted out, I had to use a pair of vice grips to shift it, and the carbs were all mess up. I got it for a song and fixed it right on the spot. I put the top down and took some pride in making my friend feel bad as I drove off. Only problem was my friend didn’t tell me that all the local cats had been using it as a litter box and when I got up to sixty I got a face full of dusty cat shit. At the time I thought it was just dirt and didn’t mind. Later that day I realized what was up.

I don’t have any of the photos of what would have been my XKE. Well I do but they are all on Polaroid stuffed away somewhere. I must admit I would like to have an XKE one day and had I not been such a wee little bastard I would have been driving one of these instead of a Mercedes.


In a coincidental twist, I came very close to swapping my Seven for an early 60s XKE (E-Type we call them). I took it to a shop to get new front shocks fitted (didn't have a spring compressor myself) and the owner (of both the shop and the Jag) took a shine to it and suggested the swap, with a little cash extra of course. I was really up for it, but alas I was so young at the time I could not get an insurance quote at any price. So, like you, I have never owned one of, if not my outright favourite cars of all time. Now they are very expensive for good ones and bad ones are endless blood, sweat and tears.
deathrattle is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 AM
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite
 
BNZ's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ye Olde Siamese Rub n' Tuggery
Posts: 6,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
I have been to the moon! I have also been to Uranus!


Nobody's been to my anus except my proctologist.

That 'snap' of the rubber glove, those bright shining lights, the warm smile on that mans face as he soothingly purred.."Relax.." how could I forget my first index finger




Women proctologists must 'clean up'(ahem) ..but it's a dirty business.
BNZ is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
Here's my factory Seven. That's my dad btw, before I shot him.
I find it appropriate that there is a tool box next to the car in the picture.

I am sad, however after seeing it as at one point I could actually FIT in one well enough to drive it well. Alas.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Corkscrew's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Location: Bangkok,Thailand
Posts: 1,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Horror of stopped escalator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerD5
CS:

The stairs on an escalator usually a positive chain drive. The handrail on the other hand is basically a big solid rubber band, is driven by a friction pulley. Like any non synchronous belt drive, there is slippage over time, oil and grease contamination, drive belt wear ect. When they are new, or replaced and adjusted they are synchronous and travel the same speed.


Regards,

Boomer
See the horror of what happens when the escalator stops:

YouTube - stuck

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
Corkscrew is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:09 PM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I find it appropriate that there is a tool box next to the car in the picture.

I am sad, however after seeing it as at one point I could actually FIT in one well enough to drive it well. Alas.
Although it was a factory car, I rebuilt the engine from scratch. Accordingly it was reliable from that point of view. The worst thing was that it used a dynamo instead of an alternator, so flat battery was common, using the car around town. (The body had been refurbished and repainted just before I bought it). I think that day I was just tightening the recently new stainless exhaust joints. Pop comes out to give advice.

It was a squeeze and notably the seats were fixed. For any shorties, a fairly major operation to bring the pedal set forward was required. I'm 6'1" and it was fine for me. My dad at 6'3" and a bit stout was not comfortable, but at least the 11" steering wheel meant his legs could be slightly bent. I drove it pretty much straight arms and straight legs-F1 style! Down at the pedal end of the tunnel it got very narrow and one day when I was driving it with my DMs on, my foot got wedged between the brake and the sidewall, with the gas down hard. That was fun!

They were banned from club racing as being uncompetitive. The new owner of the mark (Caterham cars) seized on this setback with the advertising slogan-"Super Seven-Too fast to race" Needless to say we all bought the T-shirts!

Last edited by deathrattle; 07-21-2007 at 02:13 PM.
deathrattle is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
Although it was a factory car, I rebuilt the engine from scratch. Accordingly it was reliable from that point of view. The worst thing was that it used a dynamo instead of an alternator, so flat battery was common, using the car around town. (The body had been refurbished and repainted just before I bought it). I think that day I was just tightening the recently new stainless exhaust joints. Pop comes out to give advice.

It was a squeeze and notably the seats were fixed. For any shorties, a fairly major operation to bring the pedal set forward was required. I'm 6'1" and it was fine for me. My dad at 6'3" and a bit stout was not comfortable, but at least the 11" steering wheel meant his legs could be slightly bent. I drove it pretty much straight arms and straight legs-F1 style! Down at the pedal end of the tunnel it got very narrow and one day when I was driving it with my DMs on, my foot got wedged between the brake and the sidewall, with the gas down hard. That was fun!

They were banned from club racing as being uncompetitive. The new owner of the mark (Caterham cars) seized on this setback with the advertising slogan-"Super Seven-Too fast to race" Needless to say we all bought the T-shirts!
I can't image driving a 7 with Wide Docs on. That must have been a treat. My problem, even when in shape was that the area between side and tunnel where the "seat" was bolted was just snug enough for a 6 foot 180 pounder back in 1973. Too much pizza later and...

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    off road trail gens W163 M-Class 2 03-06-2007 10:14 PM
    pics of trail nov 28 ubermog Unimog 3 11-29-2004 05:59 PM
    The Rubicon Trail. amzimmy G-Class 12 11-19-2004 02:56 AM
    Rubicon Trail 4x4abc G-Class 14 02-12-2004 09:58 AM
    H2 Trail Damage DUTCH G-Class 38 11-09-2003 12:26 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome