post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brother Can You Spare a...

Whether Democrat or Republican, NewConfused or LibTard PLEASE send an email to your Congressman and give them an ATTABOY over this one.

The good news is the new Democrat Congress at least allows us to SEE who tucks these EARMARKS in the budget.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
July 17, 2007
What's in your wallet?

What's a paltry one million dollars to a member of Congress?

Well, apparently not enough to know if an organization about to receive that big block of cash actually exists.

Republican Rep. Jeff Flake of Arizona, the fiscal crusader who's never met an earmark he likes, questioned Democratic Rep. Peter J. Visclosky of Indiana on the House floor Tuesday about whether the Center for Instrumented Critical Infrastructure actually exists - since, hey, it's getting like a million bucks or something.

Visclosky, who chairs the spending subcommittee responsible for the project, had to admit that, well, he didn't have a clue.

After a lengthy back-and-forth, Flake, complaining that his staff couldn't find a website for the center, asked Visclosky, "Does the center currently exist?"

"At this time, I do not know," the Indiana Democrat replied. "But if it does not exist, the monies could not go to it."

And who could possibly be the sponsor of such an earmark? Yes, you guessed it, the man Republicans love to hate, Pennsylvania Democrat John P. Murtha.

Despite the money's uncertain destination, the House rejected Flake's measure to strike the funds, 326-98. And the Visclosky bill also sailed through, 312-112.

As I said, what's one million dollars to a member of Congress?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And if anyone knows anything about the "Center for Instrumented Critical Infrastructure" chime in.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Jeff Flake is one of the good guys, there's no doubt. He's on a one-man crusade to put an end to Congressional earmarks, and I'd really like to see the American public line up behind him, since the assholes in Washington clearly won't.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It's what Republicans used to do. Believe it or not, I miss those guys - they are an important check on the Democrat's historical prolific spending. The fact we now have a 9 trillion dollar debt is because this kind of Republican was replaced by pandering shitheads whose election was owed to their skill at pretending what deep religious Christians they were as they cavorted down at the local whorehouse. Look at this guy Vitter - a poster child, a slut fucking clown who climbed on Jesus's back for a ride to the Senate as he voted for every dollar that went down the drain. I hope the fiscal-conservative is actually about to make a comeback. Dollar-drunk Republicans teaming up with spendthrift Democrats was a national nightmare. The US system works best under check and balance. 9-11 and a dishonest president has thrown it all out of kilter. It's enough to make a man want to vote for Mrs. Paul.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 07-17-2007 at 08:22 PM.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Four years of Ron Paul and a Democratic congress might be just the recipe that encourages the GOP to get off its ass and back to its conservative roots.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
I would rather see far more choice in that time period. We can hope for advancement.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Four years of Ron Paul and a Democratic congress might be just the recipe that encourages the GOP to get off its ass and back to its conservative roots.
There are some very good Republican Congressmen and Senators, but they get very little air time or even face time from their own party. I am not sure that even a complete smackdown would get the GOP back to that place where it was before the Fundamentalist and NeoCons HiJacked it. Once Bill Kristol, Rbt. Kagen, Wm. Bennett & Co. took the reins [much funded by Fox boy Rupert Murdoch, by the way] the GOP really became a different entity completely. The conversion was complete in 2000 with the Fundamentalist PACs pretty much changing the party’s entire philosophy.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

^ I fear you may be right, but that's as a big a smackdown as I can imagine. I really don't know what can overcome the overblown fear-driven hegemony of the U.S. right-wing media today, which promotes the proliferation to which refer.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I could live with that. Paul would put the veto on any kind of big government programs, yet would leave social liberalism alone. He also would keep us true to our ideals of no foreign entanglements. The Democrats would keep a check on him as far as his desire to dismantle SSI, etc. Could be a marriage made in heaven.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
There are some very good Republican Congressmen and Senators, but they get very little air time or even face time from their own party. I am not sure that even a complete smackdown would get the GOP back to that place where it was before the Fundamentalist and NeoCons HiJacked it. Once Bill Kristol, Rbt. Kagen, Wm. Bennett & Co. took the reins [much funded by Fox boy Rupert Murdoch, by the way] the GOP really became a different entity completely. The conversion was complete in 2000 with the Fundamentalist PACs pretty much changing the party’s entire philosophy.
One thing that could come from a split is the emergence of the Libertarians has a true political party. If Paul really makes a go of it, it will destroy the GOP if he follows a strong run for the nomination with a third party bid. Paul could actually save conservatism in this county. I have never considered Kristol et al as "conservatives" - they are soft-soap fascists who represent the most reprehensible streams in American politics, men who can only gain power the way Hitler did, through deciet, lies and a little Reichstag fire now and then. Paul has a reputation as the most honest politician in Texas. The GOP could use a good dose of that after eight years of Jayhawkism.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
^ I fear you may be right, but that's as a big a smackdown as I can imagine. I really don't know what can overcome the overblown fear-driven hegemony of the U.S. right-wing media today, which promotes the proliferation to which refer.
The public might simply grow tired of them. Every TV show gets old after a while. There is going to be a hell of a blow back if we get attacked by terrorists from Pakistan or Iraq. A lot of people are going to identify these organizations as part of what got us into this mess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in