post #41 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
This guy is starting to look better and better. Is he an MD, PhD, or an honary PhD? Not that it matters, just curious. I need to do some research. Where do I start?
He is an MD. Spend five minutes on the Internet researching him. Just Google Ron Paul. You should do the same for all of the candidates that you don't already loathe.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Designo_E320

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
He is an MD. Spend five minutes on the Internet researching him. Just Google Ron Paul. You should do the same for all of the candidates that you don't already loathe.
i have always thought we needed a doctor in the white house. I am sure he has good ideas for health care. I going to do some research on him.
post #43 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Designo_E320

Ron Paul

He is not only good but he is the one! Its not a matter of like, its a matter of need. America needs him. He is smart, articulate and his head straight.

YouTube - Educating Rudy

Why didn't I know about him? If he makes it that I would vote for him even though I am a democrat. I will be making a significant contribution to his campaign and urge many to do the same.
post #44 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
Didn't know that! I thought for some reason that he was an indy
Perhaps it's the fact he's a true conservative that led you to believe he was an 'indy'. The mainstream Repubs are just as nuts as the mainstream Dems. Ron Paul looks 'different' from most so-called conservatives. Conservatives are supposed to believe in fiscal responsibility and smaller, less intrusive government. How many today believe that way?

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #45 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
Perhaps it's the fact he's a true conservative that led you to believe he was an 'indy'. The mainstream Repubs are just as nuts as the mainstream Dems. Ron Paul looks 'different' from most so-called conservatives. Conservatives are supposed to believe in fiscal responsibility and smaller, less intrusive government. How many today believe that way?
He's a libertarian, like GS, NOT a conservative IMO!

Don't believe everything you think
post #46 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Designo_E320

Thumbs up Ron Paul

Lowering the Cost of Health Care
by Ron Paul
by Ron Paul

window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.locati on.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href;
DIGG THIS
As a medical doctor, I’ve seen first-hand how bureaucratic red tape interferes with the doctor-patient relationship and drives costs higher. The current system of third-party payers takes decision-making away from doctors, leaving patients feeling rushed and worsening the quality of care. Yet health insurance premiums and drug costs keep rising. Clearly a new approach is needed. Congress needs to craft innovative legislation that makes health care more affordable without raising taxes or increasing the deficit. It also needs to repeal bad laws that keep health care costs higher than necessary.
We should remember that HMOs did not arise because of free-market demand, but rather because of government mandates. The HMO Act of 1973 requires all but the smallest employers to offer their employees HMO coverage, and the tax code allows businesses – but not individuals – to deduct the cost of health insurance premiums. The result is the illogical coupling of employment and health insurance, which often leaves the unemployed without needed catastrophic coverage.
While many in Congress are happy to criticize HMOs today, the public never hears how the present system was imposed upon the American people by federal law. As usual, government intervention in the private market failed to deliver the promised benefits and caused unintended consequences, but Congress never blames itself for the problems created by bad laws. Instead, we are told more government – in the form of “universal coverage” – is the answer. But government already is involved in roughly two-thirds of all health care spending, through Medicare, Medicaid, and other programs.
For decades, the U.S. healthcare system was the envy of the entire world. Not coincidentally, there was far less government involvement in medicine during this time. America had the finest doctors and hospitals, patients enjoyed high-quality, affordable medical care, and thousands of private charities provided health services for the poor. Doctors focused on treating patients, without the red tape and threat of lawsuits that plague the profession today. Most Americans paid cash for basic services, and had insurance only for major illnesses and accidents. This meant both doctors and patients had an incentive to keep costs down, as the patient was directly responsible for payment, rather than an HMO or government program.
The lesson is clear: when government and other third parties get involved, health care costs spiral. The answer is not a system of outright socialized medicine, but rather a system that encourages everyone – doctors, hospitals, patients, and drug companies – to keep costs down. As long as “somebody else” is paying the bill, the bill will be too high.
The following are bills Congress should pass to reduce health care costs and leave more money in the pockets of families:
HR 3075 provides truly comprehensive health care reform by allowing families to claim a tax credit for the rising cost of health insurance premiums. With many families now spending close to $1000 or even more for their monthly premiums, they need real tax relief – including a dollar-for-dollar credit for every cent they spend on health care premiums – to make medical care more affordable.
HR 3076 is specifically designed to address the medical malpractice crisis that threatens to drive thousands of American doctors – especially obstetricians – out of business. The bill provides a dollar-for-dollar tax credit that permits consumers to purchase "negative outcomes" insurance prior to undergoing surgery or other serious medical treatments. Negative outcomes insurance is a novel approach that guarantees those harmed receive fair compensation, while reducing the burden of costly malpractice litigation on the health care system. Patients receive this insurance payout without having to endure lengthy lawsuits, and without having to give away a large portion of their award to a trial lawyer. This also drastically reduces the costs imposed on physicians and hospitals by malpractice litigation. Under HR 3076, individuals can purchase negative outcomes insurance at essentially no cost.
HR 3077 makes it more affordable for parents to provide health care for their children. It creates a $500 per child tax credit for medical expenses and prescription drugs that are not reimbursed by insurance. It also creates a $3,000 tax credit for dependent children with terminal illnesses, cancer, or disabilities. Parents who are struggling to pay for their children's medical care, especially when those children have serious health problems or special needs, need every extra dollar.
HR 3078 is commonsense, compassionate legislation for those suffering from cancer or other terminal illnesses. The sad reality is that many patients battling serious illnesses will never collect Social Security benefits – yet they continue to pay into the Social Security system. When facing a medical crisis, those patients need every extra dollar to pay for medical care, travel, and family matters. HR 3078 waives the employee portion of Social Security payroll taxes (or self-employment taxes) for individuals with documented serious illnesses or cancer. It also suspends Social Security taxes for primary caregivers with a sick spouse or child. There is no justification or excuse for collecting Social Security taxes from sick individuals who literally are fighting for their lives.

August 23, 2006

Dr. Ron Paul is a Republican member of Congress from Texas.
post #47 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The fact that he doesn't think women have the fundamental right to freedom from intrusive government restrictions regarding their bodies, is an example of a major crack in his libertarian facade. I can't square that circle.
post #48 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
He's a libertarian, like GS, NOT a conservative IMO!
If you think GW is a conservative, you're sadly mistaken. So, if I were you, I wouldn't attempt to compare Ron Paul to GW Bush. If you think GW is the definition of conservative, then I could see how you would say that.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #49 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Conservative and Republican are not synonymous.
post #50 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Designo_E320

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
If you think GW is a conservative, you're sadly mistaken. So, if I were you, I wouldn't attempt to compare Ron Paul to GW Bush. If you think GW is the definition of conservative, then I could see how you would say that.
GW is not liberal nor conservative. He is just plain stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in