Reason for terrorism, war, 9-11 and justification. - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow
While you might be surprised that I follow these threads, the fact is that I frequently do and I usually know who's coming down on which side without the need of a scorecard. That said, your comment above seems out of character for you. It appears you are suggesting that unless a poster has firsthand knowledge/experience, they should not be posting on the subject. The written account is all many of us have to inform us of current events. If Drew (for example) can't draw information from another source, then he is reduced to posting the occasional one liner or appropriate picture.
This can't be your intent, can it?
The intent was to point out that unless you are an accredited mind reader, or a psychiatrist treating that individual it’s impossible to know what is truly on someone else’s mind.
An example might be the fairly well known “1,000 yard stare” that some soldiers have exhibited in the past. If you see death and destruction day in and day out, your perspective changes on a lot of things. If you have not experienced that, you don’t have the right to say that a comment or comments, from someone that has, is right or wrong. The comments may very well seem strange or outlandish to those that haven’t been there, but another veteran will at least have an idea of what is being said.
Comments from reporters that live and work in the area have little bearing on what goes on in the mind of a 19 or 20 year old, after he’s been through a fire fight that may have killed or wounded his buddy, or seen someone get blown to pieces. To presume to know from 10,000 miles away makes even less sense, at least to me anyway…
Interpreting various events is one thing, mind reading is something else…….
Does that seem reasonable Digmenow?

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Yeah well, there's some truth in that, no doubt. Still, I think we could stand to learn a thing or two from some of those folks in regard to dealing with terrorists.
So do you now condone going into a mosque and blowing away anyone that happens to be there, and then looking around for stashed weapons? Or maybe doing the other way around, looking around, finding weapons, and THEN blowing away anyone that happens to be there?
Not busting chops here, but that's pretty much what Mayer Kahani and his ilk tended to do.........

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #83 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
No, nothing so extreme, but I do admire the whole spooky 'you f**k with us, expect your throat slit in the middle of the night' thing. In fact, I do have great admiration for the Mossad, in that very light. That represents the stuff of nightmares, and a far better approach to the apprehension and elimination of terrorists than the military approach we seem to rely so heavily on.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #84 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
No, nothing so extreme, but I do admire the whole spooky 'you f**k with us, expect your throat slit in the middle of the night' thing. In fact, I do have great admiration for the Mossad, in that very light. That represents the stuff of nightmares, and a far better approach to the apprehension and elimination of terrorists than the military approach we seem to rely so heavily on.
The Russians were/are very good at that as well, but we're not allowed to do that. If Congress found out, they would have a shit hemorrhage (sp?).

Vladimir Putin

Paul Harvey 8/31/94

Justice Clarence Thomas
post #85 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas & Moon Pies

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
The intent was to point out that unless you are an accredited mind reader, or a psychiatrist treating that individual it’s impossible to know what is truly on someone else’s mind.
An example might be the fairly well known “1,000 yard stare” that some soldiers have exhibited in the past. If you see death and destruction day in and day out, your perspective changes on a lot of things. If you have not experienced that, you don’t have the right to say that a comment or comments, from someone that has, is right or wrong. The comments may very well seem strange or outlandish to those that haven’t been there, but another veteran will at least have an idea of what is being said.
Comments from reporters that live and work in the area have little bearing on what goes on in the mind of a 19 or 20 year old, after he’s been through a fire fight that may have killed or wounded his buddy, or seen someone get blown to pieces. To presume to know from 10,000 miles away makes even less sense, at least to me anyway…
Interpreting various events is one thing, mind reading is something else…….
Does that seem reasonable Digmenow?
Almost....except that the Prof was posting a link in response to Bot's (probably rhetorical) request for evidence for a JAG officer to review. The link led to an article that featured direct quotes from statements of a fairly large sample of U.S. Iraq veterans who had seen unreported atrocities.

Drew's further comments on the matter may have been less than eloquent but the story he posted the link for was an effective answer to Bot's request.

I do agree that it is not possible to know what soldiers from Thermopylae to Baghdad thought but through written accounts, we have the ability to imagine. That's no small thing. We also know what is right and what is wrong. The tremendous stress and pressure that these troops are subjected to are not justification for the casual taking of lives described in that article by others who were in the same situations but did not commit those acts. There is a penalty to be paid. That is the point that Bot was making and rightly so. Drew simply pointed out that sometimes, people look away and there are no consequences.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #86 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
^Lets see, young males with massive firearms and below college level intellect. What the fuck do you think is going to happen? War maybe? Your wish for a civilized war seems out of touch to me.
post #87 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
No, the news media isn't any better at mind reading then you are, and what's worse is that they get paid by the story. The more sensational the better.
Do you want to be called a reporter? Man, even I wouldn't want to call FoTL THAT...
You know, I've looked at your last fifteen posts and each one has some reference to me. Are you like, obsessed or what? If need a picture of me to jack off to, let me know, I'll send you one, you fucked up whack job.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #88 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:33 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
^Lets see, young males with massive firearms and below college level intellect. What the fuck do you think is going to happen? War maybe? Your wish for a civilized war seems out of touch to me.
You mean college graduates are smarter? BS, just look at OT
The problem is not just our soldiers Shane; it's the officers, the commanders and the machine that feeds them the ideology for which they have to adhere to complete their mission. It start with the President! He tied Iraq to 911 and made sure that revenge was in order as the staple from which to draw energy and reasoning while in Iraq. Not once did the President or the VP leveled with the troops or the public about Iraq's ties to 911 because it was in their interests that ignorance prevails to drive their agenda through.

post #89 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas & Moon Pies

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
I wish there was no war. Since there is, I would wish that my countrymen aren't killing people just to cover their asses. Unfortunately, so many things operate on this principle that I fully expect it to happen within our armed forces.

But you're probably right. I am out of touch.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #90 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The Russians were/are very good at that as well, but we're not allowed to do that. If Congress found out, they would have a shit hemorrhage (sp?).
Yeah, Hezbollahh and the Beirut ears story comes to mind..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in