Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The Honeymoon Is Over

The long love affair between America's left and CNN appears to be in shambles, as Michael Moore unloaded his clip on Wolf Blitzer recently. Who'd have thought the day would come when CNN was blasted for not being liberal enough?

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Michae...r_on_0709.html
Before a live interview with documentary filmmaker Michael Moore, CNN aired a segment entitled "Sicko Reality Check" in which Dr. Sanjay Gupta, the network's chief medical correspondent, aimed to keep Moore "honest" and fact check his new film, Sicko.

The 4-minute piece concluded that Moore "did fudge the facts," and implied that Sicko was misleading in portraying health care systems in other countries, such as France, the UK, and Canada, as better than the one in the US.

When given a chance to speak, Moore immediately put host Wolf Blitzer on the defensive.

"That report was so biased, I can't imagine what pharmaceutical company's ads are coming up right after our break here," said Moore. "Why don't you tell the truth to the American people? I wish that CNN and the other mainstream media would just for once tell the truth about what's going on in this country."

Moore argued that CNN has such a lousy track record of reporting the truth about the war in Iraq and asking tough questions, that Americans should be skeptical of their reporting on health care.

"You're the ones who are fudging the facts," said Moore. "You've fudged the facts to the American people now for I don't know how long about this issue, about the war, and I'm just curious, when are you going to just stand there and apologize to the American people for not bringing the truth to them that isn't sponsored by some major corporation?"

Blizter grew defensive and backed up his fellow CNN employee, saying that he would stand behind correspondent Sanjay Gupta's record on medical issues. Moore, in response, vowed to post a rebuttal to his website, MichaelMoore.com, showing that Gupta's facts weren't accurate.

"I'm going to put the real facts up there on my website," said Moore, "so that people can see what he just said was absolutely wrong."

Turning to the war in Iraq, Moore accused Gupta, who spent time embedded with US troops in Iraq, and the mainstream media at large of refusing "to ask our leaders the hard questions, and demand the honest answers." Moore laid the blame for the continued US involvement in the war in Iraq at the feet of the media, arguing that they failed to do their jobs and question the Bush war policy.

Blitzer refused to argue with Moore about Iraq, and instead steered the conversation back to the topic of health care. Moore was asked which of the US presidential candidates he thought would best fix America's health care system.

Moore did not name a specific candidate, but said that the Democratic candidates as a whole need to be more specific about how they plan to achieve their goal of universal health care.

"Our own government admits that because of the 47 million who aren't insured, we now have about 18,000 people a year that die in this country, simply because they don't have health insurance. That's six 9/11s every single year," concluded Moore. We need "universal health care that's free for everyone who lives in this country, it'll cost us less than what we're spending now lining the pockets of these private health insurance companies, or these pharmaceutical companies."

After the interview, Blitzer found sympathy from fellow CNN hosts Lou Dobbs and Jack Cafferty.

"After watching that Michael Moore interview," said Cafferty, "I've decided whatever CNN's paying it ain't enough."
There's a video at the link above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
When has CNN ever been considered to be Left? That's absurd.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
When has CNN ever been considered to be Left? That's absurd.
Huh? Communist News Network? Sure it was never laft, it was always present.

And I do agree with Moore this time.

We do need a universal health care system.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Only the RIGHT has thought of CNN as Liberal. Apparently not remembering all the coverage of the various Clinton issues. Of course, compared to Limbaugh, Joseph Goebbels was considered Liberal. It's all perspective.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
We do need a universal health care system.
As soon as someone shows me how universal health care will provide me with better service and less expense, I'll climb right on board.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
As soon as someone shows me how universal health care will provide me with better service and less expense, I'll climb right on board.
Just look at the $ amounts associated with administration, factored as a percentage of total healthcare expenditure per nation, and you'll see the benefits associated with economies of scale and streamlined bureaucracy. Back in '97, when I was researching this issue, France had something like 8% of their total healthcare expenditures associated with administration costs, versus around 14% for the US...and they had 99% coverage for their citizens.

Also, a mandate for universal coverage must come from the government, but the administration and application of healthcare need not come from the same source. Personally, I'd prefer that the gov handle the admin, and let the (hopefully non-profit) private sector provide the actual care.

I can't possibly claim you'll personally receive better service or have less expenses under universal healthcare, but you and I are better served in a society where everyone has access to affordable preventative and catastrophic healthcare.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Perhaps I'm being brainwashed, but suprisingly (especially to myself), I'm coming around to the notion of universal healthcare. It has to be done right, etc....but given some caveats, it does make some sense as a premise.

Gonna go vomit now.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ Democrat.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have been very mixed on this subject. Both my sister in law and her hubby are Doctors [MDeities] - "Yes I know you have 4 patents but he is a doctor that just cut the top of his foot off with a lawn mower".

I was firmly against the HClinton Healthcare Doorstop that came out in 1994.

With that said, the first Boomers just turned 62 and the load that is going to put on the Healthcare system in this country is going to be staggering. Not just due to the unprepared Boomers who are going blindly into retirement without any net but everyone. And it will get worse EVERY YEAR for the next 15-20 years as more retire and load up the system.

When you add in the number of middle/upper middle income workers that will be supporting that bubble and know that, even now employers are cutting back on benefits as quickly as possible we will have both the work force that will have to pay their own insurance way AND, through increased taxes, pay for the Boomer healthcare bubble.

A third tier of workers, the families that live at or near the Poverty Line who can make ends meet, maybe save a bit for college for the kids but cannot afford the $600-$1000 monthly for health insurance to keep the family healthy.

Add in the fourth tier of low income workers [who can NEVER afford health insurance], unemployed, illegals, and "everyone else" who require health care or we, as a nation risk outbreaks of disease.

When you look at the impacts of all of the down sides, from disease to lost production it starts looking like it is the only viable option.

On the supply side, you take out much of the liability claims, administrivia, insurance BS, and redundancy. You will get longer lines, less state/insurance paid "electives”, and potentially fewer people going into the medical profession since it will no longer be the cash cow it is now.

Like in other countries where there is National Health, you will also have the option of going to a private practice, and knowing the US and the free enterprise system, insurance companies to provide coverage at those private practices.

Will it be a 100% cure all, NO, but with the stack I see coming, I am not sure there are too many choices. I see how the Medicare/Medicade system works while dealing with my 82 year old mom and I am impressed with how smooth and painless it has been. Same when my dad was in the ICU for six months.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK folks.

I am a millionaire.

My house is worth over $1.2 at the moment and I am sure I can get something close to $1.5 if I really want to.

I have a few dollars saved as well.

However, I do not have a health insurance at the moment. Not at all.

If something relatively serious happens to me I have no choice but lay down and die.

The end of story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in