Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Startling Ray Of Hope from the Bible Belt

Right here in my back yard, a very prominent religious figure sees the real light. Interesting read.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3...C-RSSFeeds0312
Recent years have provided plenty of church scandals, but an unlikely one has occurred in the Bible belt. A prominent Tulsa, Okla., minister was scandalized not by sex or embezzlement, but by his belief in hell.

When Carlton Pearson began wondering if modern believers still need a medieval pit of fire, it cost him his congregation.

He shared pulpits with Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. He counseled presidents at the White House. And after the Oklahoma City bombing, he was called to lead the grieving in prayer.

Throughout his rise, Pearson preached the fundamentals: Everyone is born a sinner. Everyone is going to hell, unless they accept Jesus Christ as Lord.

"Thank God I don't have to go to hell even though I deserve hell," Pearson preached. "But Jesus vicariously substituted for me -- took on death, hell and the grave -- and I have victory today."

But through the years, as he as he studied the ancient Greek and Hebrew scriptures, Pearson developed a crisis of faith.

"I couldn't reconcile a God whose mercy endures forever and this torture chamber that's customized for unbelievers," he said. "You can't be happy. And how can you really love a god who's torturing your grandmother?"

The more he studied, the more he saw the Bible not as the literal word of God, but a book by men about God, with primitive men prone to mistranslations, political agendas and human emotions.

And one night, as he watched ABC News' Peter Jennings report on the parade of suffering in Rwanda, he had a revelation. He questioned how a God who calls himself loving could let people suffer so badly and then suck them into Hell.

"That's when I thought I heard an inner voice say, 'Is that what you think we're doing?'" he said.

Pearson believed God was telling him there was Hell on earth.

"The bitter torment of the idea of an angry, visceral, distant, stoic, harsh, unrelenting, unforgiving, intolerant God is Hell," he said. "It's pagan. It's superstitious. And if you trace its history, it goes way back to where men feared the gods because something happened in life that caused frustration."

Pearson said people who believe in Hell create it for themselves and others.

"People who believe in devils and demons become that in consciousness and they act it out," he added.
More on 20/20 this Friday 7/13/07.

http://www.ondoctrine.com/10pearso.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^
"GA-GA" fodder! heh, heh.......
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Right here in my back yard, a very prominent religious figure sees the real light. Interesting read.

ABC News: Minister Questions Hell -- and Loses Flock
Recent years have provided plenty of church scandals, but an unlikely one has occurred in the Bible belt. A prominent Tulsa, Okla., minister was scandalized not by sex or embezzlement, but by his belief in hell.

When Carlton Pearson began wondering if modern believers still need a medieval pit of fire, it cost him his congregation.

He shared pulpits with Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. He counseled presidents at the White House. And after the Oklahoma City bombing, he was called to lead the grieving in prayer.

Throughout his rise, Pearson preached the fundamentals: Everyone is born a sinner. Everyone is going to hell, unless they accept Jesus Christ as Lord.

"Thank God I don't have to go to hell even though I deserve hell," Pearson preached. "But Jesus vicariously substituted for me -- took on death, hell and the grave -- and I have victory today."

But through the years, as he as he studied the ancient Greek and Hebrew scriptures, Pearson developed a crisis of faith.

"I couldn't reconcile a God whose mercy endures forever and this torture chamber that's customized for unbelievers," he said. "You can't be happy. And how can you really love a god who's torturing your grandmother?"

The more he studied, the more he saw the Bible not as the literal word of God, but a book by men about God, with primitive men prone to mistranslations, political agendas and human emotions.

And one night, as he watched ABC News' Peter Jennings report on the parade of suffering in Rwanda, he had a revelation. He questioned how a God who calls himself loving could let people suffer so badly and then suck them into Hell.

"That's when I thought I heard an inner voice say, 'Is that what you think we're doing?'" he said.

Pearson believed God was telling him there was Hell on earth.

"The bitter torment of the idea of an angry, visceral, distant, stoic, harsh, unrelenting, unforgiving, intolerant God is Hell," he said. "It's pagan. It's superstitious. And if you trace its history, it goes way back to where men feared the gods because something happened in life that caused frustration."

Pearson said people who believe in Hell create it for themselves and others.

"People who believe in devils and demons become that in consciousness and they act it out," he added.
More on 20/20 this Friday 7/13/07.

CARLTON PEARSON, "The Gospel of Inclusion"
It's Satan, I'm telling you! He's the oracle of Lucifer!

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
Finally something worth reading in the news!

Jonathan

Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Authorized RENNtech Dealer & Installer
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area

87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0 32V
etc....

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good find. Sorry to see that his parishioners were unable to be as open minded but he will find a group that he can lead that will be on the same path.

Or maybe he will find that now he does not need a church structure to follow the path on which he needs to be. Those that understand will follow.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 474 Post(s)

Hallelujah, I believe !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
The OT is either the word of god or the superstitious scratchings of cavemen.... It is to be revered or ridiculed. Let us not forget that Western religion is a faith-based affair. What is the meaning of basing one's faith on the superstitious scratchings of cavemen?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yes, Off Topic is certainly a trip.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
The OT is either the word of god or the superstitious scratchings of cavemen.... It is to be revered or ridiculed. Let us not forget that Western religion is a faith-based affair. What is the meaning of basing one's faith on the superstitious scratchings of cavemen?
Leave it to GS to make us actually [shudder] think and stuff.

Sheesh, man--now I gotta go smoke a bowl.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian80
Leave it to GS to make us actually [shudder] think and stuff.

Sheesh, man--now I gotta go smoke a bowl.
At 2 o'clock in the morning?! Shit, you must be a party girl 24/7.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in