BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
Can you change that avatar destroyer, my kid almost saw it as he walked by
Sorry about that. It wasn't as graphic as it looked but its done.
post #183 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerW140
Sorry about that. It wasn't as graphic as it looked but its done.
Thanks, I appreciate it, I have not had that talk with him, the guy doing another guy thing and more specifically how Bush is getting it up the pooper by Osama

post #184 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Designo_E320

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94
So why do your hundreds of MODERATE Muslim friends live here? Because 1000 of the zealots control 1.5 billion??!! No one stands up for the belief in freedom over there so they come here. Do you see how your argument doesn't hold a lot of water. If its so great and they don't want us over there, why do they come here and leave their "great" countries in droves if they have the means?
Hi Bad, Good question. Here's the answer! Freedom is an over rated term being used nowadays. Most if not all of my friends are here ONLY for a higher standard of life which they did not have over there. Reasons are socioeconomic, not religious persecution. Simply put, a doctor (and other professions) has a better life ECONOMICALLY in the States than in Pakistan or India or Iran or Iraq, or etc. This too will change if the West just gets the heck out of that land and let a much deserved revolution take place in that region. If this happens then I do not believe that many people would still even like to come here as socioeconomic status would change and these countries would get on a path of success on their own. This is another reason that the West is really NOT interested in peace in that region because the peace would bring stability and then success. Success will in turn make it much harder for USA and West to get many of the needed professionals to come here which they desperately need and will always need especially in the coming generations. Just look how our American kids are doing in school. Brains are needed and they will have to be imported. By the East become stable and successful these brains will no longer be available to the West.
With that said, let me copy and paste my family's personal story:
HERE is my story:

I am a second generation American. My grandparents were from India and later, Pakistan after the land was divided into 2 countries. The place where they lived became Pakistan. Both of my grandparents on my father's side were school teachers. There were 8 brothers and sisters all together. As you can probably already imagine that the salary of a teacher today in USA is pretty low and it would be quite difficult to raise a family on a single teacher's salary. Now think about raising 8 children on a teacher's salary in an undeveloped country, especially when the country was just born! (India had also screwed Pakistan pretty badly and never released the funds that it was to do so after the partition so Pakistan and its economy was in a very bad shape). My grandfather used to work as a security guard at the same school after his teaching job was over to try to make ends meet. They all lived in a small house made of mud bricks with a mud floor and no electricity and no running water and NO attached bathroom nor toilets.
My grandparents stressed education like crazy! My grandmother would literally get up at 4:00AM every morning and wake up all her kids and they would have to hit the books. (When my father tells me this, he even today gets teary-eyed) By 8:00AM every day the kids had already been studying for approximately 3.5-4 hours BEFORE going to school. After school, the kids would go straight home and take a half hour nap before doing their chores. Chores for my dad included feeding and milking the cows that also lived in the backyard. After the chores were done, the kids would study until evening and got only one hour to play outside and they had to wash up in the fresh water creek behind their lot and go to bed. Each child had only 2 pairs of clothes. One to wear to school and one to wear at home (washed everyday by my grandmother).
My father along with all of this brothers and sisters always made distinctions and got gold medals in schools and colleges.

My father's eldest brother became a doctor and the family had to sell off pretty much everything in order to buy him an airline ticket to America to further his training. During the training he was so poor that after pulling all night-er shifts in the hospital they could go home at 2:00PM the next day BUT he would stay until 7:00PM so he could get his free meal (dinner). Similarly the second sibling came to USA and worked hard.

It was during this time a friend of my grandfather's approached him and said to him that since now he has 2 kids in America that he should build a nice grand house. My grandfather replied, "Right now I am building my bricks of Gold" ,a reference to his children and their education. Eventually all 8 siblings came to the States; 7 of them became doctors and one became a businessman and brought their parents also to the States and cared and worshipped their parents until the day their parents died. Every wish that came out of the parent's mouths was completed by their children immediately. Every wish was fulfilled. They lived with their children until they dies. NO RETIREMENT HOMES!
Today all of my cousins and siblings including myself are very highly educated. I have approximately 15 doctors in the family including myself!

Furthermore 40% of the doctors that practice in the States are foreigners because there is an extreme shortage of doctors here. (This is only one field that I am talking about as I belong to this field but there are others) When given an opportunity, who wouldn't leave their country to earn more cash. An example of this the other way around is that many nurses and doctors go and practice in Saudi Arabia because they get tax free income and the income is usually double or triple that of what they make in the States and they get to keep ALL OF IT! The average salary of an RN in the states is a little over $50K whereas in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Qatar they make $120-$150K/year and they get to keep all of the money. They even live in government provided free housing.
Similarly, why do Americans go to work for Haliburton or other US companies in Iraq? NO! They don't go there to help rebuilt Iraq, they go over there to earn 3-4X the amount for the same work that they do here even though they know they may be captured and beheaded.

BadBenz, its all about money and standard of life bro. Good question though brother.
post #185 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Designo_E320

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
Fairness is the answer. Treat Israel as a foreign state rather than a state within the union
You better be VERY CAREFUL using the word Israel in your post as you might get labeled an anti-Semite!
post #186 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
You better be VERY CAREFUL using the word Israel in your post as you might get labeled an anti-Semite!
Nah, I have been down that road before and I expect the smearing campaign as a matter of fact

post #187 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
What is the death toll?
We have yet to finish paying the death toll, Bot. Once we complete the cut 'n run maneuver we can go back and total the figures of Americans and Iraqis who died for naught. Right now we are heading to 4,000 dead US soldiers and likely an order of magnitude or two more grossly wounded, while the number of Iraqi deaths is in the hundreds of thousands, heading well over half a million. And after we cut 'n run, it will be clear they died for nothing. Lets hope we learned something better from this than the lesson we thought we learned from Vietnam. Jim
post #188 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
You guys? No way.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #189 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Designo_E320

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
You guys? No way.
lol
post #190 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
We have yet to finish paying the death toll, Bot. Once we complete the cut 'n run maneuver we can go back and total the figures of Americans and Iraqis who died for naught. ...
It is only for naught if you choose to make it so.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in