Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Operation Iraqi Prostitute

Quote:
'50,000 Iraqi refugees' forced into prostitution

Women and girls, many alarmingly young, who fled the chaos at home are being further betrayed after reaching 'safety' in Syria

By Nihal Hassan in Damascus

Published: 24 June 2007

It's Monday night in a dingy club on the outskirts of the Syrian capital. Two dozen girls are moving half-heartedly on the dance floor, lit up by flashing disco lights.
They are dessed in tight jeans, low-cut tops and knee-high boots, but the girls' make-up can't disguise the fact that most are in their mid-teens. It's a strange sight in a conservative Muslim country, but this is the sex business, and it's booming as a result of the war in Iraq.
Backstage, the manager sits in his leather chair, doing business. A Saudi client is quoted $500 for one of the girls. Eventually he beats it down to $300. Next door, in a dimly lit room, the next shift of girls arrives, taking off the black all-covering abayasthey wear outside and putting on lipstick and mascara.
To judge from the cars parked outside, the clients come from all over the Gulf region - many are young Saudi men escaping from an even more conservative moral climate. But the Syrian friend who has brought me here tells me that 95 per cent of the girls are Iraqi.
Most are unwilling to talk, but Zahra, an attractive girl with a bare midriff and tattoos, tells me she's 16. She has been working in this club since fleeing to Syria from Baghdad after the war. She doesn't like it, she says, "but what can we do? I hope things get better in Iraq, because I miss it. I want to go back, but I have to look after my sister". Zahra points to a thin, pubescent girl with long black hair, who seems to be dancing quite happily. Aged 13, Nadia started in the club two months ago.
As the girls dance suggestively, allowing their breasts to brush against each other, one winks at a customer. But these girls are not just providing the floor show - they have paid to be here, and they need to pick up a client, or they'll lose money. If successful, they'll earn about $60, equivalent to a month's wages in a factory.
There are more than a million Iraqi refugees in Syria, many are women whose husbands or fathers have been killed. Banned from working legally, they have few options outside the sex trade. No one knows how many end up as prostitutes, but Hana Ibrahim, founder of the Iraqi women's group Women's Will, puts the figure at 50,000.
I met Fatima in a block of flats operating informally as a brothel in Saida Zainab, a run-down area with a large Iraqi population. Millions of Shias go there every year, because of the shrine of the prophet Mohamed's granddaughter. "I came to Syria after my husband was killed, leaving me with two children," Fatima tells me. "My aunt asked me to join her here, and my brothers pressured me to go." She didn't realise the work her aunt did, and she would be forced to take up, until she arrived.
Fatima is in her mid-20s, but campaigners say the number of Iraqi children working as prostitutes is high. Bassam al-Kadi of Syrian Women Observatory says: "Some have been sexually abused in Iraq, but others are being prostituted by fathers and uncles who bring them here under the pretext of protecting them. They are virgins, and they are brought here like an investment and exploited in a very ugly way."
'50,000 Iraqi refugees' forced into prostitution - Independent Online Edition > Middle East
Is this Operation Freedom's side effect? Well at least we helped civilization by making sure they don't wear shadors and burkas, now that's an accomplishment
These girls are going to be our representatives of what freedom is all about and I think they should go on the Pentagon payroll, don't you think? or at least we must collect taxes on what they earn since we are not doing too well extracting our oil from their soil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:30 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Everybody's got to eat, at least it is better than being raped by Saddam's 2 sadistic sons
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
Everybody's got to eat, at least it is better than being raped by Saddam's 2 sadistic sons
And on that note let's turn the whole region into a brothel so we will finally humiliate them into submission
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:40 AM
~BANNED~

I lived single in Bangkok for 3 years from 87 to 89, I lived in Jakarta single from 89 to 2000 when my wife moved in with me, I knew many hookers in these 2 cities and many more in many countries in SE Asia. I never judged them nor humiliated them. It is a job, not one I would choose but some do not have a choice.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
And on that note let's turn the whole region into a brothel so we will finally humiliate them into submission
A better plan would be to cover any non oil producing patch of ground with golf courses. Then the men can be humbled also.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow
A better plan would be to cover any non oil producing patch of ground with golf courses. Then the men can be humbled also.
Sorry Dig, but you will never humble those gentlemen......
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:46 AM

Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Sorry Dig, but you will never humble those gentlemen......
Are you saying that all ME men can hit a 2 iron?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:49 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Are you saying that all ME men can hit a 2 iron?
Even if they cannot, they would never admit it........not in their mindest nor their vocabulary........
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Prostitution is an expected consequence of U.S. occupation. Upon the withdrawal of U.S. forces from the Philippines in 1992, the town of Olongapo, adjacent to the U.S. naval base at Subic Bay, had no industry except for the entertainment business, which supported roughly 55,000 prostitutes, and a total of 2,182 registered establishments offering "rest and recreation" to American servicemen. Why can't Muslim culture wake up and see the obvious benefit of this enlightened arrangement?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Even if they cannot, they would never admit it........not in their mindest nor their vocabulary........
It would be interesting, then, to watch what happened on the next tee after one of a foursome duffs it behind the red tees.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in