post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The AMA - What a Joke

Everything is a fucking diease these days.

Of course I guess by classifying it as a disease means that they can get Medicaid reimbursement for treating this non-sense.

Hey, I have an idea. How about parents just saying NO - little Johnny take your ass outside. No more video games for you for the rest of the week. You are talking back to me? How about 2 weeks of no video games. Want to try for a month?

AMA to vote on "internet/video-game addiction" as medical condition

By Linda Shrieves
Orlando Sentinel
Posted June 21 2007

So you think your teenager is addicted to his Xbox?

You may be right — and if the American Medical Association has its way, video game addiction could become a legitimate medical condition.

It may sound like a bunch of hooey to a nation of Wii, Xbox and PlayStation enthusiasts, but next week, at the AMA's national meeting in Chicago, delegates will vote on a recommendation that "Internet/video-game addiction" be classified as a formal diagnosis.

For 160 years, the AMA has made recommendations on the nation's health that are quickly adopted. They range from recommending cars be equipped with seat belts to calling for annual mammograms for women older than 50.

But not everyone's buying into this new malady. "I'm an addiction skeptic," said Steve Jones, a communications professor at the University of Illinois and a research fellow with the Pew Internet & American Life Project.

"Just because any activity might interfere with other activities is not enough to call it an addiction."

An AMA report notes that the heaviest game players are those who play MMORPGs — massive multiplayer online role-playing games such as World of Warcraft. And those players, says the AMA, are more likely to be socially isolated — and probably addicted.

That's no surprise to Eric Frisella, 17, of Orlando. Eric, who plays World of Warcraft, sometimes wonders if he's addicted to the game. During the school year, he says he plays about 30 hours a week — often staying up until 1 a.m. playing every night.

"I can definitely see how it's possible for people to get addicted," Eric said. "There are times when I think I could be, but then I realize I can have a lot more fun hanging out in the real world with my friends."

In his practice, Dr. Joseph Keeley, an Orlando pediatrician, says he has seen evidence of addiction.

"There are some kids who clearly act like they're addicted and, when you take them off, they'll go through withdrawal. They'll get irritable and hard to live with," Keeley said.

But the problem hit home when he drove his daughter to Northwestern University last fall. There, a dean told him that 3 percent to 4 percent of the freshmen boys move into the dormitory, get their high-speed Internet hooked up— and never go to class.

"Needless to say, that's troublesome," Keeley said.

Jones, the University of Illinois professor who has studied college students' use of video games, said American society overreacts to new technology —particularly when it involves children. He said it started back in the 1920s, when there was hand-wringing about how movies were causing children to spend too much time inside.

"Fast forward, we started to hear the same thing about TV, then about comic books, the same thing about rock 'n' roll, the same thing about rap music and the same thing about the Internet," Jones said.

The AMA vote would be only a first step, because it then would pass the baton to the American Psychiatric Association, which publishes the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the primary handbook used to diagnose mental illnesses and disorders.

But the psychiatrists' group takes the AMA's recommendations seriously, said APA medical director Dr. James Scully.

"We, along with them, share a concern for children's well-being and children who spend too much time playing video games is a concern, especially video games that contain violence," Scully said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Talking

well, it is blatently evident from Kamil's disposition! heh, heh...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Money is made from 'sick' people. So anything that's classified as a 'sickness' or illness is something a drug can be prescribed for. It's a racket and I wonder how long the public is going to put up with it.

I guarantee you I could go to the doc right now and leave with a prescription, and there's not a damn thing wrong with klfjnHNm.gds

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah but they do pretty good job with the superbike championship:

AMASuperbike.com: Official website of the AMA Superbike Championship
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
Money is made from 'sick' people. So anything that's classified as a 'sickness' or illness is something a drug can be prescribed for. It's a racket and I wonder how long the public is going to put up with it.

I guarantee you I could go to the doc right now and leave with a prescription, and there's not a damn thing wrong with klfjnHNm.gds
Don't worry once we all have "free" healthcare provided but the gov't it will be all OK. The scams, fraud, and abuse will all go away. Just look at Medicaid as the shinning example it is.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Designo_E320

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Lightbulb

Yes this has gone too far but we docs need to earn a living also. Doctors are in big trouble and they just can't make ends meet anymore due to the VERY high costs of malpractice insurance coupled with a few dollars that Medicare and Medicaid throws at us. I agree that classifying video games addiction under a medical condition is pretty ludicrous. I think the best treatment for this "disease" is for parents to use some corporal punishment as well as throwing out the video games or better yet, not even buying them.
What the AMA needs to do is to basically try to get legislation passed to stop the filing of frivolous law suits and actually go after the attorneys that file them and fine them heavily. Less than 1% of the medical malpractice law suits end up in litigation and out of those only 1% are compensated. Many are settled out of court by insurance companies just to avoid the time and hassel of litigation REGARDLESS of whether the doctor made a mistake or not! It is these 1% of the 1% that has made malpractice insurance unaffordable for most doctors. There are many doctors who are simply leaving their practices and going into other fields such a real estate. OBGYNs are some of the hardest hit and many are choosing not stop practicing obstetrics portion of their practice and are only practicing gynecology. This will cause the American people to suffer immensly if the problem is not taken care of soon. It is quite possible that our wives may have to go to different states or even out of the country to deliver their babies. Medical care will also be outsourced! THINK ABOUT THAT! There are doctors out there that make mistakes and hurt people and it is very legitimate for them to be sued. I practice what is known as "defensive medicine". Defensive medicine, although will cover my ass leads to the overall increase of the cost of health-care for the whole nation. For example, if a patient comes in to see me who is having chest pain, and even if I am 100% sure that he is just having reflux, I will STILL do a complete work up for heart problems such as an electrocardiogram, lipid panels, and cardiac enzymes JUST TO RULE OUT a heart condition. Who foots the bill? Obviously the insurance company and the patients which causes the premiums for the patient's insurance to go up and everybody else's as the insurance company has to "make up" for its "loses." I have NO CHOICE but to do it as I have to save "numero uno" first and have to put my family's well-being and future first. Lets say that 1 out of 10,000 people who come, one ACTUALLY IS having a heart attack (myocardial infarction) and if I have no documentation, the goodbye "lecense to practice medicine!"
Unfortunately it has become a game for patients as well as lawyers and every time a patient goes into a doctors office he is thinking that he may hit the jackpot. By the time a doctor gets to pay his staff and rents and all sorts of other bills, and overhead expenses often the doctor cannot afford to write himself a check. I know several doctors in private practices who work 10-12 hours and are making LESS THAN $60K/year! This is shameful especially for people who have dedicated 1/3 to 1/2 of their lives just for the education/training for this field.
The only other choice for doctors is that they either work for the hospital as their employees as hospitalists in which case the doctor will be working for the best interest of the hospital and not the patients or a doctors can go work for an HMO/PPO in which the interest of the company will ALWAYS HAVE TO BE put before the interest of the patient.
Socialized health-care is a disaster!
The only solution I can find is that we should have laws against filing frivolous law suits and the lawyers that file them should be strongly penalized and heavily fined and we also need to have a CAP on personal injury payouts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
BWOT addiction, how much for a cure?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
BWOT addiction, how much for a cure?
Cure is free. Pull in front of a TK enterprises white or burgundy Volvo Semi.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If he's a doctor, here's some advice - don't get sick in North Carolina.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Designo_E320

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
If he's a doctor, here's some advice - don't get sick in North Carolina.
How long has it been since you had your PR? I've got my baseball bat waiting for you. Oh silly me, what wa I thinking? A baseball bat in your ass wonuldn't even touch sides. Maybe I'll have to use my cricket bat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in