Bush vetoes stem cell bill - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Designo_E320
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Lets say that hypothetically pharmaceutical company find a cure to a horrible disease, lets say MS, or AIDS, or even Huntington's. Do you think that the government should step in and reimburse these companies for the amount spent on research for the development of the drug? This is so that pharmaceutical companies won't charge an arm and a leg to recoup the monies that went into research and development. Another reason is that the drug could be accessible to ALL people with the disease instead of the elite few who would be able to afford it as the initial price is so high because the pharmaceutical company has to recoup the costs and rightfully so. Do you think it the government should reimburse the pharmaceutical companies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Very different animal -- there was a perception (true or not) that AIDS could reach epidemic proportions and threaten the security and welfare of our country. Stem cell research does not fall under that umbrella, IMHO.
I agree that AIDS had/has the perception of epidemic proportions. I brought it up only because the initial findings that IDed HIV/AIDS was the results of "pure research" much like that of stem cell research, done well before AIDS was on the radar.

My point was that the knowledge pool is enhanced greatly by research that has all the potential to offer not only depth but breadth of additional information on a wide variety of diseases, known and unknown.

On the more ROI side of the issue, companies outside the US, where Government funding is taken for granted are beginning to develop processes and collect patents which is going to put US companies at both a research and deliverable disadvantage as we continue to debate this.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I agree that AIDS had/has the perception of epidemic proportions. I brought it up only because the initial findings that IDed HIV/AIDS was the results of "pure research" much like that of stem cell research, done well before AIDS was on the radar.

My point was that the knowledge pool is enhanced greatly by research that has all the potential to offer not only depth but breadth of additional information on a wide variety of diseases, known and unknown.

On the more ROI side of the issue, companies outside the US, where Government funding is taken for granted are beginning to develop processes and collect patents which is going to put US companies at both a research and deliverable disadvantage as we continue to debate this.
I am all for stem cell research -- I just don't think the U.S government should be involved. I'm sure that foreign governments are involved in such research, just as I'm sure the same governments are knee deep in socialized medicine. If U.S. pharmaceutical companies find themselves at a disadvantage, that is a path they chose. This isn't exactly a money-strapped industry we're talking about, they're just playing a game and waiting for a handout. To that end, I'll bet dollars to donuts these folks are huge campaign contributors to any and all who promise to grease that path.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
I am all for stem cell research -- I just don't think the U.S government should be involved. I'm sure that foreign governments are involved in such research, just as I'm sure the same governments are knee deep in socialized medicine. If U.S. pharmaceutical companies find themselves at a disadvantage, that is a path they chose. This isn't exactly a money-strapped industry we're talking about, they're just playing a game and waiting for a handout. To that end, I'll bet dollars to donuts these folks are huge campaign contributors to any and all who promise to grease that path.
Hear, hear.

Let's also remember that there are an ever increasing number of sources for stem cells - the places they're being found make the narrow-minded pursuit of embryonic stem cells particularly crude, hasty, and barbaric.
Qubes is online now  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Designo_E320
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Hear, hear.

Let's also remember that there are an ever increasing number of sources for stem cells - the places they're being found make the narrow-minded pursuit of embryonic stem cells particularly crude, hasty, and barbaric.
Weren't you also a product of a stem cell?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
Weren't you also a product of a stem cell?
Hang on, had to clean up the iced tea and snot I just spewed onto my laptop.

I'm sure they didn't talk about sex-ed in the Carolinas, because they were afraid you'd just go fuck your sister or the pig or whatever....but people come from human eggs fertilized by human sperm. There's no magic wand that gets waived over magic "stem cells" that turn into people.

Dumbass.
Qubes is online now  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
I am all for stem cell research -- I just don't think the U.S government should be involved. I'm sure that foreign governments are involved in such research, just as I'm sure the same governments are knee deep in socialized medicine. If U.S. pharmaceutical companies find themselves at a disadvantage, that is a path they chose. This isn't exactly a money-strapped industry we're talking about, they're just playing a game and waiting for a handout. To that end, I'll bet dollars to donuts these folks are huge campaign contributors to any and all who promise to grease that path.
To me the issue is not even about stem cells. The issue is fully about a government NOT participating in something as basic as the health of the people of the nation. That should never be up to the whims of Corporate budgets, quarterly expectations or ROI.

I am all for fiscal restraint, I think the Government has its hands in too many issues where it is not necessary. But when it comes to hard basic research, whether for cancer, AIDS, Alzheimers and the rest of the popular, profitable illnesses or the more rare illnesses such as Autonomic Dysfunction Autonomic dysfunction: Information from Answers.com or Asperger's Syndrome there is a role for the Government to play that insures that those with the less profitable and less popular illnesses get the same research and attention as those who have the most colorful ribbons.

I chose Autonomic Dysfunction as an example since I deal with it on a daily basis with my wife's mother. It has been one of the less popular illnesses that had little attention until Johnny Cash died as a result of its work.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 06-20-2007 at 08:19 PM.
mcbear is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Designo_E320
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Hang on, had to clean up the iced tea and snot I just spewed onto my laptop.

I'm sure they didn't talk about sex-ed in the Carolinas, because they were afraid you'd just go fuck your sister or the pig or whatever....but people come from human eggs fertilized by human sperm. There's no magic wand that gets waived over magic "stem cells" that turn into people.

Dumbass.
I know that they don't turn into people, they turn into you. Are you toooo stupid to even get a joke or an insult? sex-ed, lol. I am a physician you dumb-ass
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320
I know that they don't turn into people, they turn into you. Are you toooo stupid to even get a joke or an insult? sex-ed, lol. I am a physician you dumb-ass
(GODDAMMIT...now I got hot chocolate all over the laptop.)

A Physician....really. Pull the other one.
Qubes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Bush says Congressional Bill "will throw Iraq into chaos!!!!" FeelTheLove Off-Topic 7 05-01-2007 08:01 PM
    Possible good news on stem cell research quandary: BBC Botnst Off-Topic 5 01-08-2007 04:15 PM
    McKinney Introduces Bill to Impeach Bush Jakarta Expat Off-Topic 14 12-10-2006 05:15 PM
    MB StarTAC Motorola cell for cell - fits center console smoothb001 C208/A208 CLK-Class 0 07-05-2005 09:14 PM
    Stem Cell Research: Opposed by our Moron-in-Chief FeelTheLove Off-Topic 11 05-20-2005 09:15 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome