Stolen Van - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
dp...I did a search for your brake issue.

It seems like you almost had it at post 29...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
First fluid started to come out with some air then NOTHING just air then slowly a creamy fluid (air and brake fluid soda i guess) then nothing. I checked the reservoir and it was low so I filled it as we pumped away then fluid with air until I finished a 32 FL bottle of brake fluid. I had to stop the insanity this shit is wrong and now the pedal is mushy and goes all the way to the floor and I have almost no braking power.
If the brakes were being pumped while you added fluid to the reservoir, you would still be drawing air in at the brake if the bleeder is open. Pumping should only occur before the you open the bleeder.

If you can't use the bleeder bottle method;

Pump it up and then hold it.
Crack the bleeder while the pedal is being held.
If the pedal sinks to the floor, so be it. Lock the bleeder and only then, let the pressure off the pedal.
Check the Master Cylinder and refill as needed.
Repeat.

If the system is intact (no other leaks), you WILL eventually force the air and the 'soda' out with only brake fluid left and pedal feel will return.

You wife needs two commands. "Pump" for the pump up and "Hold" for the bleeding. Explain to her the pedal will sink but she can't back off until you lock the bleeder and you tell her she can.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Last edited by Digmenow; 06-10-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Dig, I will try again and see what happens. At 300K miles on a V8 gasser I think I got a year or two left on it anyway, the engine is strong but I expect a lot of crap to start falling apart. I am gonna miss that van, it was the kids mobile and hauled construction material like no truck could.
Anyway, I canceled the boys summer camps so I can use the money to fix the Benz if needs be or put it as a down payment on a van (if I qualify which I doubt with my income). It's sad; the kids end up with the short end of the stick so some junky can take the van to strip it to get high. My wife is feeling like crap because she feels responsible for not locking the steering wheel with the club. I kept telling her that there is nothing she can do now, it’s gone and move on but she has not snapped out of it. I guess no hanky panky for while for me, I guess another victory for the bad guys.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Call me Ollie Optimist but my bet is the van ends up in the Pulaski St. lot. I'd check with them weekly. We've had a couple of vehicles we thought were long gone show up there. Did your neighbor notice anything missing? Maybe the van was simply convenient transport for whatever they needed to haul. It could be sitting on some side street right now.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I biked around just to see if that was the case, we think alike Dig, I guess Bawlmer does that to people.
My neighbor later gave me a ride to check out the chum area and other war zones. We were more worried of being pulled over by cops thinking that we were looking to score dope than stuck somewhere and some homeboys showing us the way out.
The more I think about it the more I want to be rich again so I can get services from cops and other city minions. It's amazing how much resources they deploy when you are rich.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It's been spotted. I pity the fool who stole it.

post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 11:04 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2006
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
It's been spotted. I pity the fool who stole it.

I knew sooner or later the A-team van would arrive in this thread.

Most auto thefts are planned, not random. Sorry for your loss drewprof.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Sorry about your loss, Prof, and the Police indifference. Maybe you can find a cheap used one on CL somewhere.

It is true, in some of the small towns it would never be like this. I remember in San Francisco the SFPD would not respond to auto burglaries, there are just too many of them (they say).

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I got it back
It was in an alley not far from my house. Yesterday I even biked by there looking for it
The people that lived there called the police that they saw a van parked in the alley and that "it did not belong there"
A police officer came to my door told me the news and gave me a ride to that alley. The van was fine outside but one of the rear seats is missing and of course the ignition tumbler was out and broken as well as the driver side outer lock. I used a knife I found on the floor that they must have used and started the van, drove it home and parked it. Now I am waiting for the Insurance office to open to tell them the news. Maybe I should not put a claim for damages and fix it myself so my rates won't go up, what do you think?

Thank you all for the concerns, I am really touched
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:59 AM
GHM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: "Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Congrats, normally you will not get in back.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:08 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great news!! Your experience was really bumming me out...glad you got it back. I don't know what your deductible is but you might want to just fix it yourself. I hate making claims because they always seem to come back and haunt you.

Good luck with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in