Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Any word yet?
The cops showed up like an hour later but they told me they will not actively look for it because they are overwhelmed with crime. They told me that it will probably be used as a parts car since Voyagers are very popular for such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It's the reason that those of us with older Mercedes don't worry about theft as much. The thief looks at an '81 107 or a 92 Camry...it's the Camry almost every time.

Now, will they cut though my fine German canvas top to grab my Beach Boys CD and poorly matching Kenwood radio? You betcha.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
A co-worker recently had his '03 Infiniti G35 stolen. The police took his information, and called him back at some point saying they think it's at such-and-such, and would he drive by there to see whether or not it was his. He's not an argumentative person, so he just told them later "No, that wasn't it."

Later on, they found it abandoned in a grocery store parking lot. It would barely move, had some slight body damage, but upon inspection at the dealer, the engine & transmission were trashed. It was declared a total loss.

What's disturbing is how little police work the police actually do. They are no longer law enforcement agencies in most cities - they're revenue generators. They won't spend time doing any police work that doesn't involve ticketing someone or generating fines...recovery is usually a matter of luck. Thieves are getting the message loud and clear. It's open season, just don't be stupid, and you're pretty much going to get away with it.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That's why I drive a Volkswagen Vanagon--no one in their right mind would steal it...except, maybe another Vanagon owner who's in the know and covets how rare a model mine is.

Oh yeah, sorry about your loss...bummer, that.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry about your loss man. I don't suppose you have a garage?

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I have a garage but it only fits my small Rx7. The benz is not moving right now because I have brakes that don't work and I was saving up to have it repaired because I failed in repairing it myself. Now that the van is gone, we basically have no transportation.
I am thinking of selling the Rx7 and the Benz so we can get another van but I will have to quit teaching because my college is like 40 miles away. I am also thinking about selling our house and move away from Baltimore. This really sucks when thieves dictate how my life should take turns. Maybe I should move next door to Jayhawk or something cause according to him he lives in heaven.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
A co-worker recently had his '03 Infiniti G35 stolen. The police took his information, and called him back at some point saying they think it's at such-and-such, and would he drive by there to see whether or not it was his. He's not an argumentative person, so he just told them later "No, that wasn't it."

Later on, they found it abandoned in a grocery store parking lot. It would barely move, had some slight body damage, but upon inspection at the dealer, the engine & transmission were trashed. It was declared a total loss.

What's disturbing is how little police work the police actually do. They are no longer law enforcement agencies in most cities - they're revenue generators. They won't spend time doing any police work that doesn't involve ticketing someone or generating fines...recovery is usually a matter of luck. Thieves are getting the message loud and clear. It's open season, just don't be stupid, and you're pretty much going to get away with it.
I hate to disagree with you on this, but as officers our hands are tied by the city controlling us. More often than not the governing body doesnt want to spend the money to hire the officers needed for a given size community. Any more they want to see money coming from us and thats just wrong. We are not here to make money for anyone, we are here to enforce the laws(any fines issued may offset a small portion of our costs but should not be expected nor relied on) and prevent crimes. Unfortunatly the public that runs us no longer sees that and only sees how much money a PD costs.

The towns that are best are the ones who have plenty of officers on so that instead of being REACTIVE(going from call to call) they are PROACTIVE. In the towns around me you can see how much more under control the towns are with proactive police than the reactive departments.

Generally the young guys want to work for the reactive departments because of the "fun". However they don't see how this is detremental to the community for which they work.

Sorry too Professor for you loss and the embarasment your local PD has created for all of us. Hope they can find your van so this getting kicked while your down doesnt hurt as much.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I didn't mean to imply that this was a phenomenon resulting from lazy police....it's absolutely a matter of police departments being underfunded. The result is that only low-hanging fruit gets plucked. Basically, you can only pursue that which you've witnessed as an officer, because everything else takes too much time. Again, in may cities, larceny is only pursued if an officer has witnessed the crime, or the perpetrator can still be located in the vicinity of the crime. Same with assault, to a lesser degree. Same with illegal immigration. Same with littering. Same with identity theft. Same with murder. You name it. There aren't enough people to investigate these crimes, outside of major metropolitan areas. Someone has to do it though, else we turn into the wild west.

It's disturbing that cities which levy lots of taxes already cannot figure out how to manage their funds such that police services can be sustained at adequate levels.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is funny QBNCGAR is how the thieves determine where to go to steal. Here in my area the local Kmart is hit far more frquently than some other stores because they know that Kmart wont press charges if the item stolen is less than $100 dollars.

I used to work pt time security for a local store that prosecuted everyone regardless of age or dollar amount stolen. It didnt take long for the news to get out.

We had VERY few retail thefts compared to the averages of other store with security. I had one case where they went after the person for stealing a 50 cent piece of candy. Kudos to those who are willing and able to spend the money to enforce the law, Those that do will have far less crime and loss of revenue than those who dont.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Embarrassment is an under statement; it's the whole system that is broken here in Baltimore. From the time I call 911 to whenever they show up one can tell that problems will not be solved, crimes will go unreported and the bad guys know this. Baltimore is now an open season for thieves and other criminals because the police is impotent. When my neighbors got broken into a week ago or when that lawnmower was in the process of being stolen and I was on the phone with the 911 dispatcher describing everything and pleading for police presence but no one showed up and they managed to not log in the call is just beyond comprehension.
Baltimore is basically run by politicians that are using the city as a trampoline for higher office. They hire incompetent city managers (Fire, Police, Safety, and others) that are yes men and women and in turn hire incompetent idiots right of the street that can't think out of the box. Basically I have found out that I am not dealing with people but rather a broken system. They don't care that someone's life is ruined; no wonder no one in their right mind wants to stay in Baltimore. They keep complaining about losing population in the city yet they don't address the problem which is within this fucked up system. It's is not just the criminals, it's the officials that make it easy for the criminals to take control.
This is a fucking national embarrassment. A city like Baltimore has so much potential but politicians have made it the second worse city for crime right after Detroit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in