WTF.....New American Baghdad embassy plans turn up on line...... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
WTF.....New American Baghdad embassy plans turn up on line......

Baghdad embassy plans turn up online

WASHINGTON - Detailed plans for the new U.S. Embassy under construction in Baghdad appeared online Thursday in a breach of the tight security surrounding the sensitive project.
Computer-generated projections of the soon-to-be completed, heavily fortified compound were posted on the Web site of the Kansas City, Mo.-based architectural firm that was contracted to design the massive facility in the Iraqi capital.
The images were removed by Berger Devine Yaeger Inc. shortly after the company was contacted by the State Department.
"We work very hard to ensure the safety and security of our employees overseas," said Gonzalo Gallegos, a department spokesman. "This kind of information out in the public domain detracts from that effort."
The 10 images included a scheme of the overall layout of the compound, plus depictions of individual buildings including the embassy itself, office annexes, the Marine Corps security post, swimming pool, recreation center and the ambassador's and deputy ambassador's residences.
U.S. officials said the posted plans conformed at least roughly to conceptual drawings for the new embassy, which is being built on the banks of the Tigris River behind huge fences due to concerns about insurgents' attacks.
Dan Sreebny, a spokesman for the embassy in Baghdad, declined to discuss the accuracy of the posted images.
"In terms of commenting whether they're accurate, obviously we wouldn't be commenting on that because we don't want people to know whether they're accurate or not for security reasons," he said.
Berger Devine Yaeger's parent company, the giant contractor Louis Berger Group, said the plans had been very preliminary and would not be of help to potential U.S. enemies.
"The actual information that was up there was purely conjectural and conceptual in nature," said company spokesman Jeffrey Willis. "Google Earth could give you a better snapshot of what the site looks like on the ground."
Some U.S. officials acknowledged that damage may have been done by the postings and used expletives to describe their personal reactions. Still, they downplayed the overall risk.
"People are eventually going to figure out where all these places are, but you don't have to draw them a map," said one senior official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about the embassy project.
Few are, and in Baghdad, the construction is under heavy guard and treated with extreme secrecy. It is off-limits to all but those with special passes, surrounded by tall, concrete blast walls and impossible to see except from the air.
The images posted on the Web site show that the $592 million embassy, expected to be completed in September on prime real estate two-thirds the size of Washington's National Mall, will be a spacious and comfortable facility, albeit dangerous.
Identified as the "Baghdad U.S. Embassy Compound Master Plan," the images show palm-lined paths, green grass gardens and volleyball and basketball courts outside the Marine post, as well as the swimming pool.
"In total, the 104-acre compound will include over twenty buildings, including one classified secure structure and housing for over 380 families," the Web site says.
It says the compound will include the embassy building, housing, a PX, commissary, cinema, retail and shopping areas, restaurants, schools, a fire station, power and water treatment plants as well as telecommunications and wastewater treatment facilities.
A U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee report last year said embassy security will be extraordinary: Setbacks and perimeter no-go areas will be especially deep, structures reinforced to 2.5 times the standard and five high-security entrances, plus an emergency entrance-exit.

Baghdad embassy plans turn up online - Yahoo! News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
A U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee report last year said embassy security will be extraordinary: Setbacks and perimeter no-go areas will be especially deep, structures reinforced to 2.5 times the standard and five high-security entrances, plus an emergency entrance-exit.
Well it's good to see that the State Department Architects trusted all the thorough planning that went into this war to insure a stable democrazy so our Government would not have a need to build a set of buildings that required extraordinary safety requirements.

And why is there a need to have a 104 Acre Compound? Is there where we are going to store the Bush/Cheney/Rove/Rumsfeld Hubris inventory?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Unfortunately, it will also be a target rich environment for terrorist rockets. I think the temptation will be too much for them, they are not exactly suscribers to the European Court of Human Rights

It will be seen by many ordinary Iraqis as an example of American hubris and as "the occupiers palace" if it really has shopping malls, a swimming pool and all the rest of that stuff. I'm not calling it empire building, but it is not likely to win many friends over there.

Who gets these ideas, and who puts them into practice?

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '13 Sprinter 3500 - '12 R350 - '97 E420 - '89 Ferrari Mondial - '88 560SL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good. We need that. Just like we need Gitmo. I see no reason for us not to have an embassy there considering we went there for the human rights reasons.

Having a compound, an embassy, will help us carry out our interests there and yes keep our fingers on the pulse of a region that we spent so much to secure. Consider us the new guard in town. we need a place to call home, like or hate it its only human nature to stick around for awhile just to maintain your gain.

I cant imagine anyone having a problem with that.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Peronally I feel the size of this thing and the locals seeing it as so arrogant fo the US that it is going to come back and bite them in the ass. Too bad they cannot wriite the expense off on taxes as a business loss because within 3 years that is what it will be or it will be converted to the new Iranian embassy once they take over.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego97
Good. We need that. Just like we need Gitmo. I see no reason for us not to have an embassy there considering we went there for the human rights reasons.

Having a compound, an embassy, will help us carry out our interests there and yes keep our fingers on the pulse of a region that we spent so much to secure. Consider us the new guard in town. we need a place to call home, like or hate it its only human nature to stick around for awhile just to maintain your gain.

I cant imagine anyone having a problem with that.
First, we went there for WMD, not human rights. That was reason #3 in Iraq Roulette.

Second, an Embassy is not supposed to be a fortress. We also have plans for five superbases spread out over the country to provide that "finger on the pulse" thingie.

The one thing that the Muslim population of the World dislikes most about the West [and the US in particular] is our presence in what is Muslim land.

If our goal is to lessen violence, to lessen terrorism and to lessen hatred against the West and Americans then an ostentatious, overbearing embassy with its message of OCCUPATION is the last thing that we need.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: '13 Sprinter 3500 - '12 R350 - '97 E420 - '89 Ferrari Mondial - '88 560SL
Lifetime Premium Member
arrogant. who cares. were big, we've got money, we need lots of space and we like things to look powerful. i'm sure some of your neighbors feel the same when they see you pass in your E280. Doesnt mean you need to drive a Lada to protect your image.

Build it big, build it strong and fly our flag but lets not forget what we said we are there for. To protect human rights and especially ours.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
arrogant. who cares. were big, we've got money, we need lots of space and we like things to look powerful. i'm sure some of your neighbors feel the same when they see you pass in your E280. Doesnt mean you need to drive a Lada to protect your image.

Build it big, build it strong and fly our flag but lets not forget what we said we are there for. To protect human rights and especially ours.
Come on Diego "Were big, we've got money, we need big space and we like things to look powerful" Now that is arrogant.

Bear is 100% right in his sentence: The one thing that the Muslim population of the World dislikes most about the West [and the US in particular] is our presence in what is Muslim land."

Most of my Indonesian neighbors have better cars than my E but I did not buy it for my image.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

And that is why there are people willing to die to blow us up.

McBear,
Kentucky

Last edited by mcbear; 05-31-2007 at 10:14 PM.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
And that is why there are people willing to die to blow us up.
Let them. gods cleaning the gene pool. sounds like a personal problem. to friggin bad they hate us. many on here hate just to hate but whos hiding?

JE, arrogant? yes, of course and meant to be. We cannot make these people like us. We are who we are and i dont think we need to bow for their respect. Most people will hate you for what you have even though what you have just might be a big empty house.

I say build it, big and strong if were going to build it at all. But you might be right, it might end up in the hands of the iranians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in