LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Your respective subject matter expertise, apathy, pessimism, and indifference have been duly noted. We'll go ahead and pencil you both in for "not in my backyard" as it applies to nuclear power plants as well. This will allow you to bitch incessantly about the nation's dependency on oil, fuel prices, and energy problems in the future ad infinitum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's one on my local stations. One of the other ones had a feature on putting nitrogen in your tires to increase your gas mileage 5 mpg. It's the lastest news du jour. I put nitrogen in my track car tires to keep the pressure constant over heat cycles, but it ceratinly has no effect on gas mileage.

I'll keep an eye on this to see if it goes anywhere.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old300D
There is nothing new here. All this same crap was around in the 70s fuel crisis. If you are familiar with the science, you can immediately see through these scams.
Oh yeah, where can you show me where there was fire eminating from salt water from the 70s? Im not all too familiar with science so please fill us in on how this is a scam and how it was done.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
There is nothing new here. All this same crap was around in the 70s fuel crisis. If you are familiar with the science, you can immediately see through these scams.
300D do you believe this statement applies to the air car as well. Tata is for real and I bet they have Indians cruising in that thing in a couple of years.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:56 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi
That's one on my local stations. One of the other ones had a feature on putting nitrogen in your tires to increase your gas mileage 5 mpg. It's the lastest news du jour. I put nitrogen in my track car tires to keep the pressure constant over heat cycles, but it ceratinly has no effect on gas mileage.

I'll keep an eye on this to see if it goes anywhere.
Already done on Mythbusters, they said BUSTED
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
300D do you believe this statement applies to the air car as well. Tata is for real and I bet they have Indians cruising in that thing in a couple of years.
You have got to understand that it takes energy to compress the air, just like it takes energy to make hydrogen, or "burn" salt water. These are NOT exothermic processes. You are being led by your nose because you don't understand the science.

OBK #35

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
You have got to understand that it takes energy to compress the air, just like it takes energy to make hydrogen, or "burn" salt water. These are NOT exothermic processes. You are being led by your nose because you don't understand the science.
I understand numbers, I think if the air car comes about, there willl be many buyers. They could care less that it takes energy to compress air, they just know they are filling up a normal car or a alternative fuel car for more than 2 USD which is what it takes to fill up an air car. I have already made good money off of investing in TATA a couple of years ago and this maybe a good play in a year or so.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Who's filling up these Tata cars with compressed air for less than $2?
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
Who's filling up these Tata cars with compressed air for less than $2?
I read another article on the net a few days about this and in that article it gave alot more info such as the construction of the car would not meet US safety standards but that 7 countries in the EU have signed an agreement with TATA to workover the car and get within safety standards for the EU. In the same article Tata had said that it would cost appx. 2 USD to fill up thew car with air at stations set up around India or 4 hours if pluged in to an electrical outlet and it fills up the tank from the internal compressor. I just grabbed the 1st aritcle that popped up in my search but there are several other articles out there about this car. The Indians are going to be snapping this thing up when ut comes in to production.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
I understand numbers, I think if the air car comes about, there willl be many buyers. They could care less that it takes energy to compress air, they just know they are filling up a normal car or a alternative fuel car for more than 2 USD which is what it takes to fill up an air car. I have already made good money off of investing in TATA a couple of years ago and this maybe a good play in a year or so.
Yes they will care, when they get the bill. If it costs $2 to fill it, I personally guarantee they will get no more than 10 miles range.

When will people start to understand energy is not free? All these "alternatives" coming out of the woodwork, like compressed air and hydrogen, may appear clean and abundant, but that's only the final energy transfer. These "alternatives" are not fuels, they are simply methods of energy transfer -- they require energy to be produced. And the first and second laws of thermodynamics are being conveniently ignored: You cannot get more energy out than what you put in, futhermore you cannot break even. So all these "fuels" are net losers compared to the original form of energy. If the original source is photovoltaic or wind turbine, the energy transfer medium is electricity. It is more efficient to store the energy as electricity in a battery or capacitor to directly power electric motors than to waste 50% or more to compress air or split water. There must be a purpose to changing energy mediums that justifies the loss; neither of the previous examples of H2 or air makes any sense from this perspective.

OBK #35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in