Anyone been to Aruba before? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Anyone been to Aruba before?

Thinking about taking a 2 week vacation. Your opinions or suggestions of other destinations.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4benz
Your opinions or suggestions of other destinations.
Go to Hell!

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Aruba recollections....

I was in Aruba back in 1999, as part of a cruise ship destination.

Incredibly lovely beaches, especially at night, really heavenly, and good food in the restaurants, but very expensive. There's a little bit of night life if you are interested in that.

Heavily touristed, a former Dutch colony, so lots of shopping, "duty free" stores, nothing to see or do historically or culturally, really, and the island itself is mostly desert, and not worth seeing. Just stick around in Oranjestaad, the capital, and that is all you will need to do.

Some of the local liquers are worth buying to take home, such as the blue Curacao, and chocolate liqueuer, and a bottle of the Aloe Vera lotion that's native to Aruba (the only industry, everything has to be brought in, even gasoline and drinking water, but the Tourism revenue makes everything affordable for them.) the duty free wristwatches and all that stuff might not be such a bargain in the end, check prices before you buy. If you collect license plates, for about $10 you can get a nice set of expired Aruba "The Happy Island" rental car license plates...

There is even a Mercedes dealer out of town, but I didn't see it. It looked generally pretty prosperous and safe, and things are pricey.

and the Islands of Bonaire and Curacao are nearby if you'd like to visit them, and they are pretty much more of the same.

The weather is windy and hot, but not terribly humid, I thought. Generally pretty safe. A week would probably more than enough.

A great place to just kick back with your girlfriend/wife, eat and drink well,luxury hotels are really nice, and the beaches are superb...

I thought about a day trip for shopping to one of the big malls on the coast of Venezuela, and found it could be arranged to get there by hiring a boat (just 20miles away) but was told that they were gangs of thieves in the malls, they would mob tourists on the elevators, crash into them, knock them down and then steal away everyone's wallets, purses and passports in the mass confusion.
So, I decided not to go to Venezuela for the day.

I'd recommend Aruba.

A couple of other BWOT people might be able to chime in. Gerbeki is familiar with it, and Eddie lives right there in nearby Curacao. He even remembered the the garnet red diesel W210 Mercedes taxi that had the FULL Lorinser treatment I saw, and knows the owner, who replaced the car with a newer blue model.

Must be nice to be able to drive a new Lorinser Mercedes down there, the local economy does well.

You'll need a passport but no visa. (At least that was all I did then). Customs was a breeze, no problem.

Jim

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Boring Cars...meh!

Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Go to Hell!
hehe,I'm getting rock fever

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Boring Cars...meh!

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
I was in Aruba back in 1999, as part of a cruise ship destination.

Incredibly lovely beaches, especially at night, really heavenly, and good food in the restaurants, but very expensive. There's a little bit of night life if you are interested in that.

Heavily touristed, a former Dutch colony, so lots of shopping, "duty free" stores, nothing to see or do historically or culturally, really, and the island itself is mostly desert, and not worth seeing. Just stick around in Oranjestaad, the capital, and that is all you will need to do.

Some of the local liquers are worth buying to take home, such as the blue Curacao, and chocolate liqueuer, and a bottle of the Aloe Vera lotion that's native to Aruba (the only industry, everything has to be brought in, even gasoline and drinking water, but the Tourism revenue makes everything affordable for them.) the duty free wristwatches and all that stuff might not be such a bargain in the end, check prices before you buy. If you collect license plates, for about $10 you can get a nice set of expired Aruba "The Happy Island" rental car license plates...

There is even a Mercedes dealer out of town, but I didn't see it. It looked generally pretty prosperous and safe, and things are pricey.

and the Islands of Bonaire and Curacao are nearby if you'd like to visit them, and they are pretty much more of the same.

The weather is windy and hot, but not terribly humid, I thought. Generally pretty safe. A week would probably more than enough.

A great place to just kick back with your girlfriend/wife, eat and drink well,luxury hotels are really nice, and the beaches are superb...

I thought about a day trip for shopping to one of the big malls on the coast of Venezuela, and found it could be arranged to get there by hiring a boat (just 20miles away) but was told that they were gangs of thieves in the malls, they would mob tourists on the elevators, crash into them, knock them down and then steal away everyone's wallets, purses and passports in the mass confusion.
So, I decided not to go to Venezuela for the day.

I'd recommend Aruba.

A couple of other BWOT people might be able to chime in. Gerbeki is familiar with it, and Eddie lives right there in nearby Curacao. He even remembered the the garnet red diesel W210 Mercedes taxi that had the FULL Lorinser treatment I saw, and knows the owner, who replaced the car with a newer blue model.

Must be nice to be able to drive a new Lorinser Mercedes down there, the local economy does well.

You'll need a passport but no visa. (At least that was all I did then). Customs was a breeze, no problem.

Jim
Wow,sounds like you liked it a lot

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Also...

The cruise ship deal worked reasonably well, it's an alternative to consider, as it inclued not only Aruba, but some of the other Caribbean Islands, such as Puerto rico, St. Thomas VI, and St.Maartens, which also were interesting. St. Maartens is 1/2 Dutch and 1/2 French, and worth renting a car to circumnavigate. (There will be touts at the pier when you get there, and they will try hard to get you to do it)

Old San Juan in Puero Rico is really neat to see, it's what you'd think to find in old Havana, run down and historic, the forts and castles are worth a look. The souvenirs are nice there, and you can bargain over them a little bit. (Latin culture)
I liked San Juan, but the food was nothing special, I thought. The old town is great for walking.

St Thomas is worth a bus tour to get to see the spectacular views of harbor and other Islands from the hills, and there's a wonderful underwater aquarium there to visit.

The weather was pleasant, about 88 degrees, but cooled by sea breezes. Definate t-shirt, shorts, sandals, sundress weather all the way.

Avoid all the Islands down there in hurricane season, that can REALLY fuckup your vacation if you get in the middle of one...

Jim

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Always Remembered RIP

One thing more about the French side of St Maarten, is the food is FRENCH too, so it's really really wonderful. Even the French sidewalk cafes have the best pastries, croissants, coffee and snacks. Just as good as in Paris itself. Wonderful place to just wander around

It would be well worth your while to hit one of the French Hypermarche
stores (supermarkets) because if you shop wisely you can get really nice French food for a picnic, lovely wine, perfume, and other things from France directly, at a VERY good price

Jim

Jim

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4benz
Wow,sounds like you liked it a lot
Well, I had never been to the Caribbean and wanted to go. You get what there is to get out of it, is what you do. I think I did all right.

Aruba isn't a place to go it you want cathedrals, art galleries, theatres, film festivals, gray skies and rain like knives. There is Europe for that

For more Island stuff, the Greek Islands, and Cuba ( have to get in through Canada or Cancun, the embargo) or Tahiti/Moorea both sound like another cool destination. As does Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania.

Jim

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:35 AM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Heh heh nutz, so thinking of going from one island paradise to another?

Me and the missus usually holiday at some beach on an island and others are always asking us why when we live at the beach on an island (OK, a bloody BIG island).

Tahiti is nice, expensive and you need to go to the outer islands, but only about 6 hours from Hawaii and has the same sort of cheap french products (heavily subsidised).

There are lots of other Pacific islands - very 'rustic', or just come on over to this great big island, stay in the northern half and the weather is great with lots to see and do. Especially while your $ is more than ours, but hurry on that one, we seem to be catching up!

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Boring Cars...meh!

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 SE
Heh heh nutz, so thinking of going from one island paradise to another?
Yeah,the jumps back and forth from here on Maui and Oahu aren't cutting it anymore. I thought Florida or Japan but then came to my senses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in