Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Paul offers reading list to Giuliani

Canididate contends U.S. Mideast policies contributed to 9/11 attacks

WASHINGTON - Longshot Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, on Thursday, gave front-runner Rudy Giuliani a list of foreign-policy books to back up his contention that attacks by Islamic militants are fueled by the U.S. presence in the Middle East.

"I'm giving Mr. Giuliani a reading assignment," the nine-term Texas congressman said as he stood behind a stack of books that included the report by the commission that examined the attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001.

Giuliani was mayor of New York when Islamic militants slammed two commercial airliners into the World Trade Center, a role that has vaulted him to the front of the Republican presidential pack despite his liberal social positions.

"I don't think he's qualified to be president," Paul said of Giuliani. "If he was to read the book and report back to me and say, 'I've changed my mind,' I would reconsider."

9/11 contention

Paul advocates a limited U.S. foreign policy, including an end to the war in Iraq and a reduction in troop levels abroad.

Paul said he was unfairly attacked during last week's debate by 10 Republican presidential hopefuls, when Giuliani dismissed his contention that U.S. policies in the Middle East had contributed to the attacks in New York and Washington.

"I don't think I've ever heard that before, and I've heard some pretty absurd explanations for Sept. 11th," Giuliani said to wild applause.

Paul barely registers in opinion polls of Republicans hoping to win their party's nomination to contest the November 2008 presidential election.

An obstetrician-gynecologist from the Houston area, Paul frequently strays far outside the Republican mainstream.

He voted against the Iraq war resolution in 2002 and has proposed abolishing the Homeland Security Department and diminishing the Federal Reserve. His 1988 bid for president as the Libertarian candidate drew just slightly more than 400,000 votes nationwide.

Militant motivation

Paul said it was irresponsible of Giuliani and other leaders to not examine the motivations of al Qaeda and other radical Islamic groups.

A Giuliani spokeswoman was not immediately available for comment.

Among the books on Paul's reading list were: "Dying to Win," which argues that suicide bombers only mobilize against an occupying force; "Blowback," which examines the unintended consequences of U.S. foreign policy; and the 9/11 Commission Report, which says that Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was angered by the presence of U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia.

Another book on the list was "Imperial Hubris," whose author appeared at the press conference to offer support for Paul.

"Foreign policy is about protecting America," said author Michael Scheuer, who used to head the CIA's bin Laden unit. "Our foreign policy is doing the opposite."

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I saw Ron Paul on 'Real Time' and I really liked the guy. However, I think Ben Affleck was right (and I cringe to admit that...) when he said Paul didn't have the money to make himself a true contender. Kinda sad....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
I think he does stand a chance, albeit a small one. For Dr. Paul, it all comes down to the power of the Internet, where he is an absolute front-runner and a force to be reckoned with. What does the huge discrepancy in Paul's numbers on the Internet vs. the real world say about the Internet? What does it say about American voters? Can the Internet propel a candidate all the way to the WH? How far can it take him? We may find out.......

The man's message seems to resonate with all Americans (except the evangelical hijackers of the Republican party, who put their own agenda above the welfare of their country). If Ron Paul cannot even make a dent, that seems as clear a sign as any that our political system may be broken beyond its ability to repair itself.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
The man's message seems to resonate with all Americans (except the evangelical hijackers of the Republican party, who put their own agenda above the welfare of their country).
I would add to that the neo-conservatives as well, at least from a foreign policy standpoint.

I’m also impressed with Dr. Paul; I also fear the ‘system’ is broken beyond repair. It can be argued some believe the system is not broken, that it works perfectly to protect their special interests.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244
It can be argued some believe the system is not broken, that it works perfectly to protect their special interests.
No doubt true, and that is exactly why none of the real power brokers in this country will ever support him. He's a "throw the bums out" candidate, and it's up to us, the real beneficiaries of such a policy, to place him in a position that provides the opportunity to carry out that daunting task.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244
I would add to that the neo-conservatives as well, at least from a foreign policy standpoint.

I’m also impressed with Dr. Paul; I also fear the ‘system’ is broken beyond repair. It can be argued some believe the system is not broken, that it works perfectly to protect their special interests.
The system seems to be broken for both parties right now. And I mean broken in that it does not serve the wishes of the PEOPLE.

OBK #35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in