House approves anti-OPEC bill - Does the House have their head up their ass..... - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
The way my firend explained it to me was with that attitude it is looking after today and tomorrow. These guys are thinking 50 75 & 100 years down the road......burn our nieghbors oil first, we will pump ours once their runs out. The consensus was that until viable replacements for oil are here that oil stays in the ground for the future.
Now if they actually did this instead of paying it lip service we might be better off. But the fact remains that we have already exhausted our cheap, large reserves, and as soon as crude prices rise enough, it will make sense for the oil companies to exhaust every resource we have. They are not thinking of the future, except how to continue to pay off the governement to promote hydrogen so they can continue to exploit fossil resources. Bottom lines, quarter by quarter, that's how they work. No national interests or long term reserve preservation in mind here.

OBK #35

Sponsored Links
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
Your statement just jogged my memory in to remembering a document and a conversation I had with a old friend a couple of years ago when he was over making the rounds and saying his goodbyes. He was a Senior VP in charge of exploration and production with a very large US Oil company. He was getting ready to deploy his golden parachute and showed me an internal memo and explained what the memo did not say, that while worldwide oil prices stayed under triple digit prices that they would continue to buy/explore 3rd world oil resources for as long as possible to ensure oil is left in Noth America as the thinking goes that sooner or later the supply of oil will be tight and restrictive and used as a power. So since a real alternative is no where near in the future then we should use as much of the rest of the worlds oil as long as possible to ensure the US still has some 50, 75 or 100 years.
Glad to hear there is such a strategy. I have been advocating buying their oil and using it over here until they have no oil, and then using ours for quite some time now. Even if we don't need it as a source of energy anymore, it will likely prove useful. In times of no oil having money won't be as useful as having oil in times of no money.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: