Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Question Isolationism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
I think Neville Chamberlain had the same ideas that you have now, isolationism didn't work then, and it sure as heck isn't going to work now.
I thought Chamberlain's policy, at least with respect to Nazism and Chancellor Hitler was called "appeasement"(?)

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I thought Chamberlain's policy, at least with respect to Nazism and Chancellor Hitler was called "appeasement" (?)
Isn't "appeasement" a form of isolationism? (I’ll leave you alone if you leave me alone.) Seems like we have a few here that think if we don’t see something, it’s not happening, so don’t look in that direction.
We shouldn’t interfere even it we know the “other guys” are, and setting us up for problems in the future. Covert actions are going on all over the world by damn near everybody, but we should stay in our own little cocoon and we'll be friends with everybody...... sure we will.....

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Carter says remarks on Bush ‘careless‘
Staff and agencies
23 May, 2007

By DON SCHANCHE JR., Associated Press Writer Mon May 21, 8:25 PM ET

ATLANTA - Former President Jimmy Carter said Monday his remarks were "careless or misinterpreted" when he said the Bush administration has been the "worst in history" for its impact around the world.

Carter said Monday that when he made the comment, he was responding to a question comparing the Bush administration‘s foreign policy to that of Richard Nixon .

"I think this administration‘s foreign policy compared to president Nixon‘s was much worse," he said, but he said he did not mean to call it the worst in history.

In audio posted Saturday on the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette‘s Web site, an interviewer asked Carter: "Which president was worse, George W. Bush or Richard Nixon?"

Frank Fellone, deputy editor at the Democrat-Gazette, said Monday that the newspaper‘s story was "accurate and also contextual."

The White House on Saturday had dismissed Carter after the remarks as "increasingly irrelevant."

After the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette story appeared, Carter spokeswoman Deanna Congileo had confirmed his comments to The Associated Press.

"The overt reversal of America‘s basic values as expressed by previous administrations, including those of George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon and others, has been the most disturbing to me," the newspaper quoted Carter as saying.
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Isn't "appeasement" a form of isolationism? (I’ll leave you alone if you leave me alone.) Seems like we have a few here that think if we don’t see something, it’s not happening, so don’t look in that direction.
We shouldn’t interfere even it we know the “other guys” are, and setting us up for problems in the future. Covert actions are going on all over the world by damn near everybody, but we should stay in our own little cocoon and we'll be friends with everybody...... sure we will.....
No. Appeasement is acquiescence to a threat, isolationism is non-involvement.

OBK #35

post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old300D
Would you agree with me that isolationism requires at least acquiescence to that policy inside and outside of the country?

B
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Would you agree with me that isolationism requires at least acquiescence to that policy inside and outside of the country?

B
I could give a better answer if you were more specific as to which or what sort of "policy" you mean. Isolationism does not mean being or acting timidly. It is non-involvement in other nation's policies, whether they are military or economic. Maybe you think that is appeasement, and maybe it can be under some circumstances, but not as a general rule, IMHO.

OBK #35

post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Appeasement is acquiescence to a threat, to avoid involvment.... hence isolationism.....

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Isn't "appeasement" a form of isolationism? (I’ll leave you alone if you leave me alone).
I'll go along with that Bruce.

post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Good definitions old300D.

post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Appeasement implies subservience, which therefore implies an active relationship, thus does not fall under a blanket of isolationism, which implies minimal interaction and political neutrality. That is an immense distinction.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in